obama deploys troops to guard mexico-us border

I'd love to hear what the standing orders for these troops....what can and what can't they do....deep down, I think its just a lot of bullshit, dog and pony show, slight of hand ...
their orders are probably to see that the illegals come to no harm and that they have enough water and food for the journey...

Obama to send 1,200 troops to US-Mexico border - Yahoo! News

this ought to make a whole mess of rah-rahs happy, unless of course, like mccain, they're going to bitch that they need to send more troops.

at the risk of drawing fire for my ignorance, isn't there some constitutional constraint about using troops for something like this?
IMO it is an illegal use of the troops. We aren't at war with Mexico and it isn't the duty of the armed forces to catch immigrants.

The rightwing nutters will probably love it, though.

• Banned
Not at all. Maintaining America's borders and sovereignty is easily within the legitimate role of the military.

In fact, this may be the first legit use of the military in decades.

an interesting perspective.

aren't you a mod? this thread is a dupe of one in the immigration forum and it's about 6 minutes younger.

Does this troop deployment mean that Obama is now a RACIST?

this ought to make a whole mess of rah-rahs happy, unless of course, like mccain, they're going to bitch that they need to send more troops.

at the risk of drawing fire for my ignorance, isn't there some constitutional constraint about using troops for something like this?
IMO it is an illegal use of the troops. We aren't at war with Mexico and it isn't the duty of the armed forces to catch immigrants.

Thus the reason it's the National Guard - this is what they are paid for; this is why they exist.

National Guard Counter Drug Program (NGCD)
Conducts a full spectrum campaign that bridges the gap between and among Department of Defense and non-DoD institutions in the fight against illicit drugs and transnational threats to the homeland. Supports law enforcement and community based Counterdrug operations at all levels of government to anticipate, deter, and defeat these threats in order to enhance national security and protect our society.
Joint CONUS Communications Support Environment (JCCSE)

Encompasses all of the vital organizations and supporting net-centric IT capabilities required by the National Guard to support USNORTHCOM, USPACOM, USSTRATCOM, and other Homeland Defense and Defense Support of Civil Authorities (DSCA) mission partners by extending interagency trusted information sharing and collaboration capabilities to and from the national level, the 54 States and Territories, and local incident sites.
Joint Force Headquarters - State (JFHQ - State)
Provides command and control of all National Guard forces in the state or territory for the Governor, or in the case of the District of Columbia, the Secratery of the Army; can act as a joint services headquarters for national-level response efforts during contingency operations.

It is? 100's of 1,000's of illegals flooding over our borders constitutes an invasion that's been happening for far too long. The friggin' borders should have been closed since September 12, 2001, and even before then.

McCain is already bitching, from his newly dug bunker in a far corner of rightfield. This move is to undermine those who say securing the border has to come before immigration reform can proceed.

I'd go so far to say that recreational drug interdiction would be yet another misuse of the military.

are they there for drug interdiction or people interdiction?

the only drugs they are going to stop from coming across the border are the ones being brought in by people too foolhardy and stupid to try it without paying the necessary bribes.

I know, didn't obama tell the mexican president that he would help him to staunch the flow mexico's brightest and best from crossing over into the US?

This is obama's solution!
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

My take on this is that Obama's making a political move. His advisors see the writing on the wall with public sentiment regarding the, specifically Mexican, illegal immigrant problem. This is a symbolic gesture designed to simultaneously please the anti-immigrant contingent, but can be downplayed as part of the effort to stem the border drug war. Very clever.

I know, didn't obama tell the mexican president that he would help him to staunch the flow mexico's brightest and best from crossing over into the US?

those guys who are cutting lawns and pouring concrete at less than minimum wage are their best and brightest? i knew they had a problem losing their runners, jumpers and swimmers and consequently weren't doing so well at the olympics.

but their academics are sneaking in here too? where are they?

those guys who are cutting lawns and pouring concrete at less than minimum wage are their best and brightest? i knew they had a problem losing their runners, jumpers and swimmers and consequently weren't doing so well at the olympics.

but their academics are sneaking in here too? where are they?

How much do you want to bet that the "brightest and the best" are the first ones IN LINE to get out of that shit hole they are living in. They are LEGAL immigrants mainly because they want to work here in the US.

My take on this is that Obama's making a political move. His advisors see the writing on the wall with public sentiment regarding the, specifically Mexican, illegal immigrant problem. This is a symbolic gesture designed to simultaneously please the anti-immigrant contingent, but can be downplayed as part of the effort to stem the border drug war. Very clever.

yeah...and by concentrating on the 'Drug War'...it takes away the stigma to the other part of the equation, and that is those that come here and soak up money that doesn't belong to them, become a burden on our economy...and just for the mere fact that they are living here outside the law.

The point is, is that Obama is now parsing the issue. Deflecting. he wants 'Amnesty'. it's a very poor move on his part. Most folks understand what's going on, and any amnesty legislation is going to be political poison no matter what he does in an apparent move of appeasement.

He had better tread carefully. Most of us aren't so damned easily fooled.

I wonder if we'll see the Code Pinkos protesting against the Obama now:lol:

Forum List

Back