Obama center displacing blacks in South Chicago

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012

Obama broke ground on the Obama Center on the South side of Chicago, saying he wanted to give back to the community for making him what he is today

Trouble is, the center has caused investors to move in and rent has increased in the area almost by half, and real estate has doubled, causing many long time residents to have to move away.

Chicago resident Priscilla Dixon stated that the neighborhoods around the Obama Center used to be close-knit communities home to many black families.

“In political spaces, people can become numbers, experiences can become trends,” Dixon stated. “But the reality is that this is about real people, and we don’t want the Obama Center — the center honoring the first black president — to be another page in the long history of displacing black people or doing harm to black families. The city is the only one that can stop that.”

“I’m a working mother who can’t afford to live in my own community that I’ve lived in for 42 years,” Tahiti Hamer, a Chicago resident, told the Post.

A single mother of three children, Hamer said she was forced to move out of her neighborhood more than a year ago after her landlord raised her rent by almost 40%.

Chinella Miller, a South Shore resident, told the Post that her landlord raised the rent by 90%, pushing her to move to another neighborhood.

According to Miller, property listings in the area frequently list the Obama Center as a selling point.

William Sites, a professor in the Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice at the nearby University of Chicago, told the Post, “With a development of this size and economic impact, it was unavoidable that it would have a profound effect on the local housing market and exacerbate existing affordability challenges for many low-income residents of Woodlawn and South Shore.”

“The evidence was pretty clear that even before the groundbreaking, early on in the predevelopment process, housing values were rising quite dramatically in both Woodlawn and South Shore,” Sites added.

saying he wanted to give back to the community for making him what he is today

obama2.jpg

Obama broke ground on the Obama Center on the South side of Chicago, saying he wanted to give back to the community for making him what he is today

Trouble is, the center has caused investors to move in and rent has increased in the area almost by half, and real estate has doubled, causing many long time residents to have to move away.

Chicago resident Priscilla Dixon stated that the neighborhoods around the Obama Center used to be close-knit communities home to many black families.

“In political spaces, people can become numbers, experiences can become trends,” Dixon stated. “But the reality is that this is about real people, and we don’t want the Obama Center — the center honoring the first black president — to be another page in the long history of displacing black people or doing harm to black families. The city is the only one that can stop that.”

“I’m a working mother who can’t afford to live in my own community that I’ve lived in for 42 years,” Tahiti Hamer, a Chicago resident, told the Post.

A single mother of three children, Hamer said she was forced to move out of her neighborhood more than a year ago after her landlord raised her rent by almost 40%.

Chinella Miller, a South Shore resident, told the Post that her landlord raised the rent by 90%, pushing her to move to another neighborhood.

According to Miller, property listings in the area frequently list the Obama Center as a selling point.

William Sites, a professor in the Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice at the nearby University of Chicago, told the Post, “With a development of this size and economic impact, it was unavoidable that it would have a profound effect on the local housing market and exacerbate existing affordability challenges for many low-income residents of Woodlawn and South Shore.”

“The evidence was pretty clear that even before the groundbreaking, early on in the predevelopment process, housing values were rising quite dramatically in both Woodlawn and South Shore,” Sites added.
It sounds like it is bringing a lot of money into the community, adding to home values in the area, which is good news for homeowners. The $500 million project has been largely financed by private donors. The construction, which is still ongoing, is estimated to bring $3.1 billion to the community. In addition, it is predicted to generate another $16.5 million in state and local tax revenue.

Obama chose the site because it was a slap in the face to President Reagan as it would use his childhood home for parking.

Liberal hatred for Middle Class and their hero is what motivated B. Hussein O., but its really hurting his base

Obama once again helping his people, rich White folk. Just like his friends and neighbor's in rich Whiteyville Martha's Vineyard.

Forum List

Back