Obama brushes top Senior Intell. Officials pleas to the side

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jreeves, Jan 22, 2009.

1. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    In recent days, senior U.S. intelligence officials, including CIA Director Michael Hayden and outgoing Director of National Intelligence Mike McConnell, told Obama's advisers and journalists that they still needed the flexibility to use some interrogation methods not permitted by the military. If nothing else, intel officials argued, inducing fear among detainees that they might be subjected to harsh practices was useful in persuading them to talk.

"They were permitted to state their case," said one senior Obama adviser, who asked not be identified talking about internal deliberations.

But in the end, Obama's review team, headed by new White House Counsel Gregory Craig, rejected their arguments and questioned the premise that such methods were necessary. Obama is satisfied that the use of the military field manual "will not compromise national security," said another senior administration official, who also asked not to be identified talking about the administration's review process.

Obama's Order Ends Bush-Era Interrogation Tactics | Newsweek Voices - Terror Watch | Newsweek.com

I think this is a huge mistake. The intelligence community's ability to obtain terror threats will be hampered.

2. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    From the 1960's on, trust in the CIA has gotten worse at certain times. This is one of them. If I remember correctly, Kennedy was about this [] close to shutting down the CIA program completely after Bay of Pigs. But then of course, he got shot.

But hey, guess I got to be in the CIA before I go encouraging and involving myself in the drug trade. :eusa_whistle:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  3. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    With the help of the CIA, German investigators foiled what would likely have been the most devastating terror attack of its kind in the country's history. The plans of a fanatical group of Islamists trained in Pakistan reveal just how great a risk Europe faces.

Operation Alberich: How the CIA Helped Germany Foil Terror Plot - International - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News

AL-QAEDA leader Osama bin Laden is alive but "largely isolated", says CIA Director Michael Hayden.

He also said US intelligence had disrupted a terrorist attack that "would have rivalled the destruction of 9/11", but did not give details.

CIA chief claims new 9/11 attack foiled | theage.com.au
    Damn CIA...

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,995
    Don't bother, he is 18 now and has such a vast life experience he just knows everything.

5. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    Bush didn't listen either, remember what happened?

[​IMG]

6. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Europe will have to do it's own dirty work concerning terrorist. The Obama administration is opting out.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Bush learned lessons from 9/11, Obama evidently isn't capable of learning from past mistakes.:cuckoo:

8. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Just wondering Jreeves, do the couple successes of the CIA make up for all the mistakes they've made in their history?

9. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Would you like a complete list of CIA successes? There are more than just a couple and some you and I no nothing about due to national security.

10. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Sure but you have to admit the CIA has made plenty of mistakes too.

If we are to believe Bush:

Bush disappointed that CIA gave him incorrect info on Iraq-US-World-The Times of India

I find this interview very interesting, I'm not sure if you ever read it J. I'm not really sure what to think of it on first read.

CIA officer claims U.S. fighting wrong war - Nightly News with Brian Williams- msnbc.com

I never saw the internet before, but I suppose he's not so secret anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Hubris

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009