Obama: a GOP president should have rules limiting the kill list

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Kevin_Kennedy, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    Obama: a GOP president should have rules limiting the kill list | Glenn Greenwald | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

The question here is if Obama can drone bomb whoever he wants with no oversight, then why shouldn't a Republican President have the same power? This is why libertarians have always argued that we must limit the powers of the President, even when it's your guy, because eventually somebody you don't like will be in office and will inevitably use those same powers in ways you disagree with.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    No one seems to care anymore.

3. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    True. Republicans have to try to take partisan potshots and do their best to paint Obama as a peacenik, despite him simply ramping up Bush's foreign policy, and Democrats have embraced their inner neocons.

4. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    My guess is that the usual suspects will simply argue that we are the crazy people for thinking the government should never have too much power.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    Then we'll have to ask them if it was crazy for Obama wanting to limit the power of a potential Republican President.

6. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    If I were you, I wouldn't try to compare Republican administrations to Democratic administrations when it comes to imperial presidencies. The Relpubs win that one hands down.

Now, having said that - I don't think ANY president should issue hit orders on any individual, U.S. citizens or otherwise. I didn't agree with the killing of Osama Bin Laden. I had always been of the opinion that we didn't do stuff like that - largely because it might encourage similar actions against our own leaders from the bad guys.

7. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    Each administration merely ups the ante of its predecessor. Obama has taken the Bush foreign policy and expanded it to include his kill list and assassinations including American citizens. So I think the comparison is more than warranted.

8. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    That is one of the most ignorant things you have ever said George. Why don't you give me a list of all the Democratic presidents who have walked back Republican reforms that expanded the power of the presidency? After you do that you can show me the list of Democratic presidents that didn't expand their own hold on power.