NRA Vows To Stop Tucson From Desecrating its Gods

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Pogo, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Carolinia Agresticia; the Forest Primeval
    Ratings:
    +28,321
    Haven't seen this posted yet but I find this psychologically revealing:
    This happened at a gun buy-back organized in Tucson last week on the second anniversary of the shooting that wounded Gabrielle Giffords and seventeen other people...

NRA Vows To Stop Tucson From Destroying Guns

Anna Jolivet had four old rifles she didn't want: "They belonged to my husband, and he passed away four years ago, and I haven't had any success in having someone take them off of me since then. So I thought this is a good time to turn them in." That's exactly what Republican Tucson City Councilman Steve Kozachik expected when he asked the police to do the buyback. What he didn't expect was the response after he announced the event.

"I've been getting threats," Kozachik says. "I've been getting emails. I've been getting phone calls in the office trying to shut this thing down or 'We're going to sue you' or 'Who do you think you are?' " Todd Rathner, an Arizona lobbyist and a national board member of the NRA, may sue. He has no problem with the gun buyback, but he does have a problem with the fate of the guns once police take possession of them.

"We do believe that it is illegal for them to destroy those guns," he says.

"Illegal to destroy guns".... your own guns that you just bought... just letting that sink in...

I've been noting for months that what we have is a national gun fetish and that what got Bob Costas so much blowback was that he committed the sin of blasphemy; that he dared to question the divinity of Almighty Gun. Well, here it is, writ large. If threatening to sue the city for the blasphemy of desecrating Almighty Gun doesn't amount to a fetish, then I just don't know enough about sexual perversion.

What say ye?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  2. BallsBrunswick

BallsBrunswick Fair and Balanced

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +401
    What do you expect from "men" that use guns as a penis substitute?

3. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    So much for the conservative principle of the sanctity of ‘property rights.’

4. CaféAuLait

CaféAuLait This Space for Rent

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,323
    He was speaking about the law as he understood it ( which he may have misread) in the state that says they are supposed to be used by LE or sold and used by the states general fund.

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/50leg/2r/bills/sb1241s.pdf

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/15/nras_threats_over_gun_buyback_tied_to_alec_legislation/

5. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Carolinia Agresticia; the Forest Primeval
    Ratings:
    +28,321
    The culmination of the story I didn't paste:

Rathner says the NRA will ask for an accounting of every weapon turned in and then go to court to stop the firearms from being destroyed. If that doesn't work, Rathner says they'll change the law.

"We just go back and we tweak it and tune it up, and we work with our friends in the Legislature and fix it so they can't do it," Rathner adds.

Epilogue: Steve Kozachik, the Tucson City Councilman who organized this buy-back event, has just abandoned the Republican Party and switched to the Democrats, citing the RP as "ideological outliers".

Kozachik: Why I'm Switching

6. tjvh

tjvh Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +916
    It occurs to me you must have been with a guy who thought to himself... "If he were to buy a gun, then he would have a great excuse to get as far away from this bitch as humanly possible... Honey, I'm going hunting... See you in a week or two."

7. OKTexas

OKTexas New Life Member of the NRA 12/15 Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,261
    The question is whos money are the using in the "buy back", which is a BS term, because you can only buy back something you sold in the first place. If they use tax money they should be obligated to get as much money in return for the guns as they can. There is no harm in selling them to dealers or collectors to recoup their expenses.

8. BallsBrunswick

BallsBrunswick Fair and Balanced

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +401
    :confused:

9. JFK_USA

JFK_USA Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +725
    No, the whole point is to have less guns on the street. Less guns equal less violence. Some places use gift cards and other tax ride offs. Then they melt it down so it can't fall in the wrong hands.

The lady in the article mention she had 4 rifles that she doesn't use at all and isn't a good shot. Someone can rob her house to take those 4 guns and now they are out on the street.

The point is to keep guns off the street to make it safer for police officers.

10. OKTexas

OKTexas New Life Member of the NRA 12/15 Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,261
    And selling them to responsible people who can pass a background check couldn't accomplish the same thing and make some money in the process? Law abiding citizens are no threat to the police, hell AZ has open carry.