Now that wunderground sucks, alt weather sites to try

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Used wunderground's near real-time doppler radar, lightning strike indicator, tornado warnings, etc for years. Up until a few months ago though they'd gone with a mo-flashy new version (which completely sucks) they maintained their original interface. Citing costs too much doing both (crock of crap imo and hundreds of others, think it was simply it was better than the new version,) they yanked it. So needing as-good sites I've been looking around.

If you just wanna know if it's gonna rain, my Mom's suggestion of "you could look outside" is still the best imo. :) If you like radar THAT much though, NWS' site seems the default/standard.

NWS - Doppler Radar National Mosaic Loop

(click where you are for local version)

If you're like me and want to know more life-saving info like if lightning's included with approaching storms, I just found this one and think it's worth sharing,

America Live lightning maps LightningMaps.org

(uses Google maps, and has up to 15 mins old lightning strikes. VERY handy as I was contemplating a swim before a cell of heavy rain got here, but wondered if there was lightning with it - there is, lots. So no swimming.)

Used wunderground's near real-time doppler radar, lightning strike indicator, tornado warnings, etc for years. Up until a few months ago though they'd gone with a mo-flashy new version (which completely sucks) they maintained their original interface. Citing costs too much doing both (crock of crap imo and hundreds of others, think it was simply it was better than the new version,) they yanked it. So needing as-good sites I've been looking around.

If you just wanna know if it's gonna rain, my Mom's suggestion of "you could look outside" is still the best imo. :) If you like radar THAT much though, NWS' site seems the default/standard.

If you're like me and want to know more life-saving info like if lightning's included with approaching storms, I just found this one and think it's worth sharing,

(uses Google maps, and has up to 15 mins old lightning strikes. VERY handy as I was contemplating a swim before a cell of heavy rain got here, but wondered if there was lightning with it - there is, lots. So no swimming.)
…that could be 15 minutes too late;)
Thank you for the info though.. good sources

…that could be 15 minutes too late;)
Thank you for the info though.. good sources

With lightning it'd always be too late. By the time you know lightning's close, if it hasn't hit you you're nto in danger, if it's too close, it's too late to move. :) Like when people shoot at you, by the time hear the shot the bullet's already missed you. :)

Forum List

Back