now its illegal to express yourself

It would be interesting to read the transcript of the conversation between the defendant and the officers.

Officer: "Are you aware you've got two nooses dangling from the rear of your vehicle?"

What does the driver say to that? :badgrin:

ok, and did he use them or threaten to use them? I would like to see where that was mentioned.

oh, so by your logic, if something is recent, that makes it important.

Your racism is showing.

Nice dodge.

1) Time passed is not the only criteria I gave.
2) Of course time matters. We are talking about how much it offends people. Some of those individuals may have seen people they know publically lynched . But yet you think that offending them is "hypersensitivity"

ok, and did he use them or threaten to use them? I would like to see where that was mentioned.

No I was just putting myself in the place of the interviewing officer, it would have been a delicious moment, waiting for the driver to respond to the question. I can just see him now, eyebrows knitted, probably meeting in the centre of his forehead, looking around for inspiration, maybe a bead of perspiration on his wrinkled brow as he tries to figure out how to get out of this one.

"Er...nooses? Oh THOSE nooses! Oh yeah, well, I was at a scout camp and we were practising knot-tying and....you're shaking your head officer....."

No I was just putting myself in the place of the interviewing officer, it would have been a delicious moment, waiting for the driver to respond to the question. I can just see him now, eyebrows knitted, probably meeting in the centre of his forehead, looking around for inspiration, maybe a bead of perspiration on his wrinkled brow as he tries to figure out how to get out of this one.

"Er...nooses? Oh THOSE nooses! Oh yeah, well, I was at a scout camp and we were practising knot-tying and....you're shaking your head officer....."

if he had a confederate flag, should he be ticketed for that?
It all comes down to the importance we put on symbols.
If I wear a cross, does it mean I condone the crucifixion of Jesus?

if he had a confederate flag, should he be ticketed for that?

In my opinion, no.

Cynic-American: said:
It all comes down to the importance we put on symbols.

And the common interpretation of those symbols.

Cynic-American: said:
If I wear a cross, does it mean I condone the crucifixion of Jesus?

I would think not. If that were the case then the Pope and a whole bunch of his mates would be in big trouble :D

I thought it was a flag representing the former Confederate States of America.

A symbol of hate is a burning cross on your front lawn.
according to many, its a symbol of hate.
Oh hey, lets do away with all symbols because they have the potential to offend.

according to many, its a symbol of hate.
Oh hey, lets do away with all symbols because they have the potential to offend.

You want to see symbols of hate? Just wait for the AFL Grand Final, you'll see symbols of hate all over the place :rofl:

Oh wait, I forgot, Collingwood's out of the Finals1. It won't be so bad then. But jeez if Port Power wins you'll see their bloody feral fans going nuts in Melbourne and all the way back home. Gawd, I'd sooner see a bloody Victorian team win than have to put up with Port's bragging, arrogant, one-toothed, beanie-wearing bloody ferals crowing (pun if anyone knows anything about footy - Chips?) about their big victory (another small pun there Chips).

Footnote1

Vale the great Len Thompson, former Collingwood ruckman in the 1970s and a superb player. Ditterich might have got the publicity Len but you were the real goods.

You want to see symbols of hate? Just wait for the AFL Grand Final, you'll see symbols of hate all over the place :rofl:

Oh wait, I forgot, Collingwood's out of the Finals1. It won't be so bad then. But jeez if Port Power wins you'll see their bloody feral fans going nuts in Melbourne and all the way back home. Gawd, I'd sooner see a bloody Victorian team win than have to put up with Port's bragging, arrogant, one-toothed, beanie-wearing bloody ferals crowing (pun if anyone knows anything about footy - Chips?) about their big victory (another small pun there Chips).

Footnote1

Vale the great Len Thompson, former Collingwood ruckman in the 1970s and a superb player. Ditterich might have got the publicity Len but you were the real goods.

What's an AFL Grand final ? :rofl:

Having them out and on his truck while purposefully repeatedly driving by these people would , in my opinion be a threat. He INTENDED for the nooses to provoke fear. They were specifically for the purpose of intimidation.

Those can be crimes.

Forum List

Back