Not sure what to make of this

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
This story doesn't sound untruthful but there are some details missing. I will say that being blatantly, publicly ignorant in this day and time is hard to believe . Be sure to read the comments.

This Is What Racism Sounds Like in the Banking Industry

Jimmy Kennedy earned $13 million during his nine-year career as a player in the National Football League. He was the kind of person most banks would be happy to have as a client.

But when Kennedy tried to become a “private client” at JPMorgan Chase, an elite designation that would earn him travel discounts, exclusive event invitations and better deals on loans, he kept getting the runaround.

At first, he did not understand why. Then, last fall, he showed up at his local JPMorgan branch in Arizona, and an employee offered an explanation.

>> “in light of some new information brought to us by The New York Times,” the company put one of its executive directors on administrative leave while the bank investigates his conduct. >>​

Here's an institution in AridZona that needed an exposé from a newspaper all the way across the country to analyze its own operation. SMH

There is probably more to the story.
He hasn't played in a decade. Hiw much money was left? Did he blow it? Invest it? What's his credit history?
Idk it could just be racism but I doubt it. They have 2 blacks on their board of directors..

Peters complained to Venniro that another financial adviser was trying to steal a prospective client: a woman who had just received a $372,000 wrongful death settlement after her son died. She was black.

Venniro told Peters that there was no point in his intervening in the dispute, because the woman was not a worthwhile client. “You’ve got somebody who’s coming from Section 8, never had a nickel to spend, and now she’s got $400,000,” Venniro said, referring to the federal program that provides vouchers to help with housing costs and whose title is sometimes used as a racial slur. “What do you think’s going to happen with that money? It’s gone.”

“But I thought that’s why we get involved,” Peters protested.

Venniro said no. “You’re not investing a dime for this lady,” he said. He knew from experience that she would quickly burn through the money. “It happens every single time.”

I bet she blew the money.

More concocted BS from Yahoo. They are worried about the Black vote in next year's elections and are stirring the racism pot.

More BS from a bot who didn't bother to read the article.

As a matter of fact, I did read the article. The only references to race were statements by Kennedy and Belton, who are both Black:

“You’re bigger than the average person, period. And you’re also an African American,” the employee, Charles Belton, who is black, told Kennedy. “We’re in Arizona. I don’t have to tell you about what the demographics are in Arizona. They don’t see people like you a lot.” Kennedy recorded the conversation and shared it with The New York Times.

Are you completely incapable of critical evaluation of what you are fed?

I enjoyed reading a few of the comments after the article- it got me to thinking about something- what would you do, where would you go if you won a large lottery- I read this book a couple of years ago that kind of addresses it-

https://www.amazon.com/Winner-David-Baldacci-ebook/dp/B001GUXJSI/ref=sr_1_1?crid=B5L9F15C3EGZ&keywords=the+winner+by+david+baldacci&qid=1576186289&s=books&sprefix=the+winner,stripbooks,234&sr=1-1

It made me think of the book because it deals with investment banking- admittedly, this foot ball player story may be a bit out of the ordinary- but, people coming into large sums of money isn't what with lotteries and being heir to fortunes by parents who just relied on intuition or had a lot of good luck- how could you *trust* an investment banker to not take you to the cleaners? Hire a lawyer? LOL- know any that can be trusted?

The football players story, what was reported at least, is a shame- but, how much is left out? The first thing that came to me was: I won't spend my money where it's not welcomed- I'd go somewhere else- but, just how smart are football players? They've gotten by their whole life on being physical, not intellectual- and yes, there are exceptions to every rule and today's athletes are a bit smarter than they used to be- but still, large sums of money are scary to deal with- who can you trust?

More concocted BS from Yahoo. They are worried about the Black vote in next year's elections and are stirring the racism pot.

"You know, people that are not us probably have some form of prejudice toward us.”

This is what most black people think.

Ah, that's a lot of work you're doing. You actually went out and interviewed all black people and then summarized the results here. That's dedication. Lucky us.

As a matter of fact, I did read the article. The only references to race were statements by Kennedy and Belton, who are both Black:

“You’re bigger than the average person, period. And you’re also an African American,” the employee, Charles Belton, who is black, told Kennedy. “We’re in Arizona. I don’t have to tell you about what the demographics are in Arizona. They don’t see people like you a lot.” Kennedy recorded the conversation and shared it with The New York Times.

Are you completely incapable of critical evaluation of what you are fed?

Apparently you didn't read it since you blamed "Yahoo".

That IS hilarious though --- me, of all people, "incapable of critical evaluation". With my post history. :laughing0301:

Forum List

Back