Not health insurance: crop insurance

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by AllieBaba, Sep 4, 2009.

1. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Here is a problem...ppl think farmers are the richest of the rich (it's always elitist city folk who think this)

My friend's crop insurance increased from $5000 to $9000 this year.

Won't be paying for help with harvest next year...

2. gcomeau

gcomeau Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have ever once met a single person in my entire life who thought farmers were the "richest of the rich". Where exactly did you encounter these people?

Or was that some kind of stealth sarcasm that got past my radar?

3. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Family farms regularly have gross incomes in excess of $250,000.

According to Barry Obutthead, they're all rich.

4. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Gross income, lol.

They're a flipping nightmare. These ppl live in a dilapidated 19th century house...so woefully run down they live in the bottom only, and not even the entirety of that. The bathroom has a horrible stand-up shower (think 1930s style, metal and weird frosted glass, tin bottom and sides) and the tub hasn't worked in the entire time I've known him which is 20 years now. The toilet is falling through the floor, and they don't have money to fix the bastard. They FINALLY did some work in the kitchen, which consisted of putting in a new sink, and that was a huge luxury.

I know ppl who live in barns on family farm land because it was determined by beaurocrats in Washington they couldn't replace homes that burned down (environmentally unsound) or build more than one house per 160 acres. So if you sell off your land except for 20 acres, you can't build a fucking house on it. They send mincing, prancing code nazis out from the cities to tell our people, who have lived and worked this land all their lives, where they can build, and how they can build, and if they can build. And they aren't nice about it. They act like it's their land and they're doing the owners a favor to allow them to use it at all.

Anyway, my friend said one of the reasons the insurance is higher this year is because they had a good harvest LAST year. Not this year. So they're being penalized for having a good harvest more than a year ago, and the only money they've got is the pittance they have after expenses from the crappy harvest this year.

It's just lovely.

5. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    It's all good though. We're going riding this weekend, so I don't care. And I'm cleaning out my garage/shanty, and the tack room, and the pasture.

It's not like a real garage, my car will fit in it, but you can't open the doors when it does. But when it fills up with garbage (sorry, I'm not paying $30 a month to dispose of 2 bags of garbage per weekend. Which I load onto the truck myself) everyone can see it. Because there's no garage door.
    Love to make it into another bedroom. It couldn't possibly be any worse than my daughter's bedroom, which is about 10x10 and doesn't have a closet, and goes up in the corners something fierce.

6. veritas

veritas OBKB

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yet you think supporting the private health insurance model is ok. It's the same thing really. And then add on the seed companies that make insurance look saintly. Genetically modified crap from big chemicals killing the environment, suing people for their cross pollination contamination and winning!

7. gcomeau

gcomeau Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
  8. princyjoshu

princyjoshu Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for sharing with us its new to have a good topic to talk about it,,,,

9. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    Are you INSANE?

:lol::lol::lol:

You clearly have not spoken to many ppl!

10. veritas

veritas OBKB

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I love how ali flounced in here all outraged and then flounced out like everything was all cool and she was going riding.

Flake-o-rama.