Norwegian authorities take away Indian children from parents for being ‘fed by hand’

Thete

Bachelor of Theology
Jan 29, 2012
Finland
Talk about not understanding cultural differencies.

"The story of an Indian couple’s children being taken away by Norwegian social services on objections of them being fed by hand and sleeping in their parents’ bed has attracted worldwide attention and the intervention of the Indian government. " - Al Arabiya News

I'd post the link but I'm new so I can't.

IMO, very embarrasing for Norway.

It's a bit hard to believe. I noticed it was picked up by the Daily Mail and by the Telegraph which sometimes picks up from the Daily Mail. I also notice the parents have apparently been told they can only see the kids once or twice a year.

I am betting this has nothing to do with eating habits or simply sleeping in their parents beds.

Last edited:
It seems that in Norway, feeding children as opposed to putting food in front of the child and letting them pick up what they can and put it in their mouths is considered "forced feeding".

It seems that in Norway, feeding children as opposed to putting food in front of the child and letting them pick up what they can and put it in their mouths is considered "forced feeding".

Well in this article it does say that the believed they were being over fed so who knows. However even if they were do you really think any Western country would think this

The news report stated that the parents are now allowed to see their children for one hour, once a year. And the kids will remain in custody until they are 18.

would be a suitable outcome?

Norway snatches Indian children from their parents -- New Internationalist

No social service is going to think it is advantageous for children to see their parents for one hour once a year. The story is suffering from Chinese whispers or some such thing.

I guess, if you look at person trying to feed a baby (who can't keep all the food in his/her mouth while chewing) by hand, it does like force feeding.

But how is it less force feeding if you're using a spoon instead of fingers to do the same thing...

I guess, if you look at person trying to feed a baby (who can't keep all the food in his/her mouth while chewing) by hand, it does like force feeding.

But how is it less force feeding if you're using a spoon instead of fingers to do the same thing...

It is still feeding by hand.

The problem is that you are only hearing one side of the issue. That is apparently because it is against Norway's law to discuss this when it is still in progress.

I found this yahoo answers which I got the above from and also that it appears to have been abuse. The older child appears to be autistic and his behaviour was noted at nursery. He appears not to have been getting proper support. The baby who is 3 or 4 months was having bread stuffed in her mouth which mum had previously chewed. Obviously a three or 4 month old does not need bread, previously chewed or not.

Clearly there is more to this story. Norway is not mad.

Norway child services takes away children of Indian parents? - Yahoo! Answers

Forum List

Back