North Koreans Unveil New Plant for Nuclear Use- "Ultra Modern"

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
I'll let the article speak for itself as to the site particulars.

My comments issues are; who helped them? they would need the money and the expertise.
how did they, in the space of just 3 years, under ours and the so kos noses and eyes, purchase this sophisticated material and get it into no kor? What if anything, can we do and if so what do we do.....?

North Koreans Unveil New Plant for Nuclear Use
By DAVID E. SANGER
Published: November 20, 2010

snip- the money shot imho;

The scientist, Siegfried S. Hecker, a Stanford professor who previously directed the Los Alamos National Laboratory, said in an interview that he had been “stunned” by the sophistication of the new plant, where he saw “hundreds and hundreds” of centrifuges that had just been installed in a recently gutted building that had housed an aging fuel fabrication center, and that were operated from what he called “an ultra-modern control room.” The North Koreans claimed 2,000 centrifuges were already installed and running, he said.

American officials know that the plant did not exist in April 2009, when the last Americans and international inspectors were thrown out of the country. The speed with which it was built strongly suggests that the impoverished, isolated country, which tested its first nuclear device in 2006, had foreign help and evaded strict new United Nations Security Council sanctions imposed to punish its rejection of international controls…

“The intel agencies dropped the ball,” said Jack Pritchard, a former State Department official who visited North Korea’s main nuclear complex, Yongbyon, a week before Dr. Hecker’s visit and heard North Korean boasts of a new capability.

A senior intelligence official said Saturday evening that “it is wrong for anyone to assert that U.S. intelligence agencies somehow missed the boat,” adding, “We have been aware of North Korean uranium enrichment activities for years.”

A senior administration official said the North Koreans “very probably have other facilities” that pre-dated the one at Yongbyon and have not been detected.

the rest of the article at-
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/21/world/asia/21intel.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all

hat tip Hot Air.

Last edited:
I'm sick of North Korea, I wish the Chinese never got involved in the Korean war so we could have finished off this worthless regime.

Might it be a ptemkin plant? Lots of shiny shiny stuff in front and nothing behind it? The rest of North Korea is like that, why not the nuke plant?

They would need cash they don't have and expertise they don't have to build a real one.

Forum List

Back