Noonan On Dean and Hillary

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/?id=110006794

I don't know that Democrats understand how Republicans experience the attacks Democratic leaders make on them. I'm not sure they know how they sound to us.

In America there is a lot of political integration. Democrats and Republicans are friends. Life forces them to be if they need to be forced, which most don't. They know each other from the office, Little League, school meetings, the neighborhood. Actually America is mostly filled with people who say not "I'm a Democrat" and "I'm a Republican," but "I voted for Bush" and "I like McCain" and "I voted for Kerry." They identify by personal action more than political party, at least in my experience.

Washington is more politically segregated. In Washington, Democrats by and large hang out with Democrats, Republicans with Republicans. This is true in consulting, in think tanks, in journals, in Congress. If you work for a Democratic senator, the office is full of Democrats. The people with whom you share inside jokes and the occasional bitter aside are Democrats. The "neighborhood" in which you go to meetings during your long days is Democratic. The same is true for Republicans.

And it's inevitable. The structure of things decrees it, as does human nature. Like-minded people seek like-minded people for stimulating conversation and more.

So in some key ways in Washington, the most politically engaged individuals in both parties do not understand each other. This expresses itself in certain assumptions. Democrats think Republicans are mean. Republicans know Democrats are the mean party.

Knowing that, let's do a thought experiment. Close your eyes and imagine this.

President Bush is introduced at a great gathering in Topeka, Kan. It is the evening of June 9, 2005. Ruffles and flourishes, "Hail to the Chief," hearty applause from a packed ballroom. Mr. Bush walks to the podium and delivers the following address.

Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I want to speak this evening about how I see the political landscape. Let me jump right in. The struggle between the Republican Party and the Democratic Party is a struggle between good and evil--and we're the good. I hate Democrats. Let's face it, they have never made an honest living in their lives. Who are they, really, but people who are intent on abusing power, destroying the United States Senate and undermining our Constitution? They have no shame.

But why would they? They have never been acquainted with the truth. You ever been to a Democratic fundraiser? They all look the same. They all behave the same. They have a dictatorship, and suffer from zeal so extreme they think they have a direct line to heaven. But what would you expect when you have a far left extremist base? We cannot afford more of their leadership. I call on you to help me defeat them!"​

Imagine Mr. Bush saying those things, and the crowd roaring with lusty delight. Imagine John McCain saying them for that matter, or any other likely Republican candidate for president, or Ken Mehlman, the head of the Republican National Committee....

Every four years I have a larger group of friends at my Presidential Results Party. In that group there are liberal Democrats, Moderate Democrats and Republicans, Religious Right Conservatives, and a large group of Libertarian thinkers that are largely registered Republican. We have lively debate, but mostly get along as we cheer along results while playing pool, darts, cards and watching the news. The past two years have been hard as some want to stay up watching the results that are not coming in as the news guys hold back in order to make more money.

If we are able to get along when that much is at stake, it points to the fact that the country actually gets along quite well even with political differences. Maybe it is just my friends who tend to deal in ideas more than most groups.

Good for you, No1. That is the truth about "tolerance." Ability to maintain civility, even friendship, in the face of differences.

mom4 said:
Ability to maintain civility, even friendship, in the face of differences.

The ability to maintain civility, even friendship, in the face of differences.

I think we have the new USMB expression.

I can see it across the banner at the top of the screen now.

colehart said:
What needs to be done by the Republicans is to repeat vebatim the words of Dean only changing Republican to Democrat. Let's see if they get criticized!

Criticized isn't the right word. They would be cremated.

Forum List

Back