No More Swingsets - Too Many Sue Happy Parents

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
CHARLESTON, W.Va. – Elementary school playgrounds in one West Virginia county are losing their swing sets.

Swings are being removed from Cabell County schools in southern West Virginia in part because of lawsuits over injuries.

Stewart says a lawsuit in the past year involved a youngster who broke his arm jumping off a swing like Superman. It was settled for $20,000.

Other equipment such as monkey bars will remain. Stewart says the schools are able to maintain the proper protection underneath them.

Swing sets removed at some W.Va. schools - Yahoo! News

I think they should ban scissors as well. Too dangerous. Maybe even pencils. Chalk makes some kids sneeze... :evil:

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
Ban children.

Funny though, how Americans ranted about Tony Hayward (BP ex CEO) when he commented that they would be vetting claims to make sure they were genuine. Anyone else kind of see where Tony was coming from yet?

Last edited:
Nope. The trouble isn't that some kidlet faked a broken arm.....the trouble is that parents seem to feel entitled to injury-proof playgrounds at schools. That wasn't BP's problem. THEIR liability was stunningly clear.

Last edited:
Nope. The trouble isn't that some kidlet faked a broken arm.....the trouble is that parents seem to feel entitled to injury-proof playgrounds at schools. That wasn't BP problem. THEIR liability was stunningly clear.

Actually, the term you're looking for is 'scapegoat'.

Nope. The trouble isn't that some kidlet faked a broken arm.....the trouble is that parents seem to feel entitled to injury-proof playgrounds at schools. That wasn't BP problem. THEIR liability was stunningly clear.

Actually, the term you're looking for is 'scapegoat'.

We continue to want to swaddle our children in bubble wrap and run around screaming whenever they get hurt, looking for someone to sue.

Nope. The trouble isn't that some kidlet faked a broken arm.....the trouble is that parents seem to feel entitled to injury-proof playgrounds at schools. That wasn't BP's problem. THEIR liability was stunningly clear.

yeah, nobody would even think about submitting a false claim.

:rofl:

GMAFB

CHARLESTON, W.Va. – Elementary school playgrounds in one West Virginia county are losing their swing sets.

Swings are being removed from Cabell County schools in southern West Virginia in part because of lawsuits over injuries.

Stewart says a lawsuit in the past year involved a youngster who broke his arm jumping off a swing like Superman. It was settled for $20,000.

Other equipment such as monkey bars will remain. Stewart says the schools are able to maintain the proper protection underneath them.
Swing sets removed at some W.Va. schools - Yahoo! News

I think they should ban scissors as well. Too dangerous. Maybe even pencils. Chalk makes some kids sneeze... :evil:

I agree.

They should also ban mimeograph machines as the chemicals used in them can give one a headache!

pen3a.jpg

When I was in school every year there was some kid who broke his arm by falling out of the swing. It was somewhat of a status symbol to have a broken arm when I was a kid and even more of a status thing if the ambulance came to pick you up from the playground at school. Nobody ever got sued because of it. It was just a part of growing up. Guess the times they are a changing...

yeah, nobody would even think about submitting a false claim.

:rofl:

GMAFB

How the fuck do you fake kid-with-broken-arm, del?

i'm talking about BP; try to keep up.

Just have to mention here, when I grew up in the 60s and 70s schools in my area didn't have swings. Instead they had metal climbing equipment with rubber padding underneath it. One school I went to did have one of those rocket ship structures that seem to have been banned now. And seesaws. I think seesaws have been banned too.

This is fucking retarded. Next they will ban sliding boards because some kid will decide to run down it and get hurt. And forget about the monkey bars, someone will probably claim them as racist. :razz: Better ban shoelaces too, they come untied and some kid might trip. I packed some canned fruit in my daughter's lunch last year and put in a plastic fork. She was told she can't bring in a fork, it could be dangerous. Yeah, cause if she wanted to stick a fork in someone she couldn't just take a metal fork from the cafeteria. :rolleyes: Like I said, fucking retarded.

You guys would enjoy Free Range Kids. It's a blog by a writer/journalist who advocates allowing some reasonable freedom and risk taking by kids. She became well-known when she wrote a column about allowing her 12 year old to take a NY subway alone.

FreeRangeKids

My daughter came in the other night screaming. She was riding her bike home and some body was in a van, backing out of their driveway, and didn't see her. She had to slam on the brakes and in doing so she got her foot caught in the spokes of the bike. (Don't ask me, I have no idea). Gashed the ball of her foot good and bruised the hell out of her upper foot. Did I mention she was wearing flip flops, again, despite being told by me numerous times to 'put on sneakers cause one of these days you're going to get hurt'? Hope she learned a lesson.

Forum List

Back