NK IS Dangerous-Foreign Affairs

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
From Reuters of all places: http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=7546582&src=rss/topNews

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States has compelling evidence North Korea has a uranium-based nuclear weapons program and ending this activity is essential to resolving the nuclear dispute with Pyongyang, according to two key former U.S. officials.

Mitchell Reiss, until recently a senior Bush administration political appointee at the State Department, and Democrat Robert Gallucci, the Clinton's administration's top negotiator with North Korea, make their case in the March-April issue of Foreign Affairs magazine. A copy of the influential journal was made available to Reuters.

The article rebuts a controversial piece by Asia expert Selig Harrison, who argued in the magazine's last edition that the administration is "seriously exaggerating the danger that Pyongyang is secretly making uranium-based nuclear weapons."

U.S. concerns about North Korea's capability to enrich uranium for use in nuclear weapons are at the heart of efforts to revive stalled six-country talks it hopes will end Pyongyang's nuclear ambitions.

North Korea flaunts its plutonium-based nuclear weapons program and U.S. officials estimate it may have made eight weapons this way. But Pyongyang denies it has a uranium enrichment program.

It is significant that Reiss, a moderate, and Gallucci, who often criticized the administration for not engaging North Korea, are defending the Bush team's uranium assertions...

-
I saw the first report claiming the the DPRK nuke threat was exaggerated. Who is Selig Harrison and what is his agenda? Googling this guy turns up nothing except that he is "a South Asian expert from the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars." This is what that institution has on Harrison: http://wwics.si.edu/index.cfm?fuseaction=sf.profile&person_id=30890 Zero. Just who are these anonymous "experts" anyway? The MSM floods their junk into the ether, influencing opinion and debate, all the while the political agenda of the "expert" remains secret.
-

onedomino said:
-
I saw the first report claiming the the DPRK nuke threat was exaggerated. Who is Selig Harrison and what is his agenda? Googling this guy turns up nothing except that he is "a South Asian expert from the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars." This is what that institution has on Harrison: http://wwics.si.edu/index.cfm?fuseaction=sf.profile&person_id=30890 Zero. Just who are these anonymous "experts" anyway? The MSM floods their junk into the ether, influencing opinion and debate, all the while the political agenda of the "expert" remains secret.
-

Here's his vitae:

Did North Korea Cheat?
Selig S. Harrison
From Foreign Affairs, January/February 2005

Summary: Two years ago, Washington accused Pyongyang of running a secret nuclear weapons program. But how much evidence was there to back up the charge? A review of the facts shows that the Bush administration misrepresented and distorted the data--while ignoring the one real threat North Korea actually poses.

Selig S. Harrison is Director of the Asia Program and Chairman of the Task Force on U.S. Korea Policy at the Center for International Policy. He is also a Senior Scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars and the author of Korean Endgame.

As you said, pretty thin.

but one doesnt have to be a rocket surgeon to see that NK is dangerous. but they do really need to return to talks. i hasve a feeling if some type of action went on there it would indeed be costly to both sides, and would drag on for a long time.

-
U.N. 'Pre-bukes' U.S. Over North Korean Nukes
by Scott Ott

http://www.scrappleface.com/ (satire)

(2005-02-10) -- The United Nations Security Council, in the wake of North Korea's admission http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/02/10/nkorea.talks/index.html that it has nuclear weapons, has passed a resolution "pre-buking" the Bush administration for whatever action it might take against the communist dictatorship.

"When we learned of nuclear weapons in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), we immediately feared a U.S. response," said Secretary-General Kofi Annan. "By pre-buking the U.S., the Security Council demonstrates solidarity with the future victims of the American military occupation."

Meanwhile, Democrats in Congress have introduced a resolution condemning President George Bush in advance for "misleading us into conflict with North Korea simply because it's a nuclear-equipped Stalinist regime which has threatened to turn America into a lake of fire."
-

Johnney said:
i was going to say... whose he shinning his dick up for this time???
lol

I know, onedomino and I have been posting Scrappleface for awhile, I tell him we NEED to lable it, otherwise we get people upset! :teeth:

Shouldn't we be checking with the libs on this situation? They seemed to have all the answers for the NK problem during the election ??---Bi-lateral talks---multilateral talks?---nuke em? after all, they're a MUCH bigger threat than Iraq ever was. Where are they when we need em ??

Forum List

Back