NFL officiating has to change.

Sean Payton lost the game with his play calling with 1:44 left

1st down in redzone-PASS?
2nd down in redzone-PASS?

IN OT
1st down at midfield......PASS?
2nd down at midfield......PASS???

Much worse.

Again, what is wrong with just playing a fifth quarter of 10 minutes?

How are the college rules for breaking a tie "much worse" than what we have today?

Today a tie is broken by the flip of a coin. The team that won the flip, gets the ball, they score anything and the game is over. The team that lost the flip doesn't even get to touch the ball.

Much worse.

How are the college rules for breaking a tie "much worse" than what we have today?

Today a tie is broken by the flip of a coin. The team that won the flip, gets the ball, they score anything and the game is over. The team that lost the flip doesn't even get to touch the ball.

There are 3 phases to the game; offense, defense, and special teams. Part of special teams is the kick offs. It's part of the game. Every game has at least two. Usually 5 or 6. To have part of the game eliminated by rule is stupid.

What I propose is this. If, at the end of the 4th quarter the score is tied, you simply move onto a fifth quarter. Continue the same drive from wherever the team with the ball has it on the field (switch sides as you do between the 1st and 2nd quarters and the 3rd and 4th quarters). No coin flip. Much like extra innings in baseball. If the clock expired at the end of regulation on a field goal or some other scoring play, have the kick off utilizing the rules of the game.

Make the length of the fifth quarter fifteen minutes; each team gets three time outs (this will help with player fatigue). Just play the fifth quarter as you did the first quarter...

If either team has more points at the end of 15 minutes, that team wins whether it is a field goal, safety, or touchdown.
If at the end of the fifth quarter, the score is still tied, then it is a tie in the regular season. If it is the playoffs or the Super Bowl, you keep playing subsequent quarters under the same parameters until one team wins. If you want to put a "sudden death" statute in there after the 6th quarter...okay.

It sure beats the current system of one team being able to deny the opposing offense the ball by scoring in certain way.

As for the College rules, they are worse than the current Professional Rules. You shouldn't get to start your drive almost in field goal range. I understand the Colleges have a different set of realities than the professional game but starting on the 35 or whatever it is remains a moronic rule.

Much worse.

You don't even know the rules, Markle. The team that wins the coin toss has to score a touchdown for the game to be over without the other team getting to touch the ball. A field goal and the other team DOES get their turn...with a field goal tying the score and a touchdown winning the game for them!

Much worse.

There are 3 phases to the game; offense, defense, and special teams. Part of special teams is the kick offs. It's part of the game. Every game has at least two. Usually 5 or 6. To have part of the game eliminated by rule is stupid.

What I propose is this. If, at the end of the 4th quarter the score is tied, you simply move onto a fifth quarter. Continue the same drive from wherever the team with the ball has it on the field (switch sides as you do between the 1st and 2nd quarters and the 3rd and 4th quarters). No coin flip. Much like extra innings in baseball. If the clock expired at the end of regulation on a field goal or some other scoring play, have the kick off utilizing the rules of the game.

Make the length of the fifth quarter fifteen minutes; each team gets three time outs (this will help with player fatigue). Just play the fifth quarter as you did the first quarter...

If either team has more points at the end of 15 minutes, that team wins whether it is a field goal, safety, or touchdown.
If at the end of the fifth quarter, the score is still tied, then it is a tie in the regular season. If it is the playoffs or the Super Bowl, you keep playing subsequent quarters under the same parameters until one team wins. If you want to put a "sudden death" statute in there after the 6th quarter...okay.

It sure beats the current system of one team being able to deny the opposing offense the ball by scoring in certain way.

As for the College rules, they are worse than the current Professional Rules. You shouldn't get to start your drive almost in field goal range. I understand the Colleges have a different set of realities than the professional game but starting on the 35 or whatever it is remains a moronic rule.

The game would continue with the ball where it was at the end of the regulation game? So if a defense made a heroic stand at the goal line to force overtime...their "reward" would be for the other team to start overtime at the goal line with the ball or for them to start on offense from their own goal line? That's grossly unfair.

Here's my take on things. If you've got a defense that can't stop ANYTHING...then why do you even deserve to go to the Super Bowl? Offenses in the NFL already have a huge advantage over defenses...if you want to make the overtimes more "fair" make the games themselves more fair between the offense and defense! Right now if you play defensive back in the NFL you're at such a disadvantage that it's become farce!

Much worse.

The game would continue with the ball where it was at the end of the regulation game?
Yes. Kickoffs are proven to be the most dangerous point of the game. This is the reason for so many (I feel necessary) rule changes to mitigate the danger. This is one more mitigation. There would still be kick offs if a team scored in over-time or if regulation ended on a scoring play and the score being tied. But there wouldn't be an arbitrary kick off.

So if a defense made a heroic stand at the goal line to force overtime...their "reward" would be for the other team to start overtime at the goal line with the ball or for them to start on offense from their own goal line? That's grossly unfair.

Why? If they stopped the same team on 2nd down at the end of the 3rd quarter, their "reward" would be to have to do it on 3rd down in the 4th.
Additionally, the "reward" for a team on defense (at least half the time) either just scored to tie it--and will be rewarded with a fifth quarter to try to win the game--or was so pathetic that the team with the ball tied it up and was going for the killshot when they were stopped. So what is the difference?

What is grossly unfair is if the offense of the team that loses the coin flip never gets to play in overtime.

Here's my take on things. If you've got a defense that can't stop ANYTHING...then why do you even deserve to go to the Super Bowl? Offenses in the NFL already have a huge advantage over defenses...if you want to make the overtimes more "fair" make the games themselves more fair between the offense and defense! Right now if you play defensive back in the NFL you're at such a disadvantage that it's become farce!

I hear ya. I don't think the KC Chiefs (the most recent example) had a defense that "couldn't stop anything". They stopped the Patriots quite a bit yesterday. I'm not saying the better team lost; I'm saying just play the game in overtime the same way you played it for 3 hours previously.... Nobody has ever given me a good reason why just playing a fifth quarter is bad idea.

Both of tonight's play off games had obvious bad calls. Calls that may very well have led to the wrong teams playing in the Superbowl.

A non pass interference call.
&
A bad roughing the passer call.

Both situations had consequences that may have or did alter the outcome of the game.
On top of that the CONSTANT game delays caused by "ref" conferences as well as a broken replay system that takes way to damn long to look at what is usually an obvious decision after seeing it in slow motion for just a few seconds.

Then you have the ridiculous overtime rules that boil down to the luck of a coin toss giving one team a massive unearned advantage over the other.

This isn't sour grapes it is just glaringly obvious that the refs are in need of training or reform or something.
Its obviously not possible to be perfect but there needs to be a better system of checks and balances on the people we trust to be fair to both teams.

Havent you learned yet? the cheatriots in the corrupt NFL we have these days. ALWAYS have the NFL refs in their pockets,:Dthey would NEVER have been to so many superbowls and won so many AFC title games if their games were ever officiated FAIRLY.:abgg2q.jpg:

Andy Reid was correct,the refs should have WARNED Dee Ford.In a game of THIS magnitude as the article says so well,they usually give them a warning.

Andy Reid wonders why official didn't warn Dee Ford he was offside

Had it been any other AFC opponent,the refs WOULD have warned him.Not so for the cheatriots and Bill Belicheat and shady brady though of course.:D

the other thing is that should never have mattered,had the game been officiated fairly,it never would have come down to that.they could have still scored as they did and it would not have mattered had another BS call not gone against them when that personal foul BS call was called on tom brady on third and 10 when they stopped them which kept the drive alive.

THAT there was what cost them the game,was that BS call. as always is the story in the playoffs,the cheatriots get the calls,the opponents never do.:rolleyes: Like I KNOW you saw when Mahomes was complaning to the refs about the hit to his helmet.

they somehow dont see THAT personal foul penalty but somehow call a personal foul on brady that was NOT a personal foul? mere conicidence? sure it is,and I am the king of england.:rolleyes:

and as much as i would LOVE to get excited about the LOS ANGELES RAMS being in the superbowl,i cant because NEITHER team should be there and NEITHER is deserving of the superbowl trophy. It should be the SAINTS and CHIEFS. but the NFL is so fucking corrupt of course,thats not the case.

the NFL is getting more and more corrupt year after year.this is the first time i can ever recall of TWO teams BOTH going to the superbowl because these corrupt refs gift wrapped them the superbowl game.

Last edited:

I hear ya. I don't think the KC Chiefs (the most recent example) had a defense that "couldn't stop anything". They stopped the Patriots quite a bit yesterday. I'm not saying the better team lost; I'm saying just play the game in overtime the same way you played it for 3 hours previously.... Nobody has ever given me a good reason why just playing a fifth quarter is bad idea.

I'll give you a good reason, Candy and it's one you just touched upon in your previous post...the risk of injury. People get hurt when they're exhausted. The longer you make the game the more risk you subject exhausted player to.

By the way...the NFL has already addressed injuries in kickoffs. They no longer allow the kicking teams players to get a running start which makes a huge difference in the velocity that they reach before making contact with the opposing blockers or ball carriers. They've also moved the kickoff spot up so that the ball is kicked into the end zone and not returned at all most of the time. They also gave the ball to the offense further up field if they don't return the kickoff. The result is that you seldom see injuries on kickoffs as opposed to what you saw before.

I played hockey...the old rule was sudden death overtimes until someone scored a goal. Games could literally go on for an hour past regulation. Play was sloppy...the fans were asleep...so they changed the rules where you have an overtime period and then if the score is still tied you have a shootout.

Both of tonight's play off games had obvious bad calls. Calls that may very well have led to the wrong teams playing in the Superbowl.

A non pass interference call.
&
A bad roughing the passer call.

Both situations had consequences that may have or did alter the outcome of the game.
On top of that the CONSTANT game delays caused by "ref" conferences as well as a broken replay system that takes way to damn long to look at what is usually an obvious decision after seeing it in slow motion for just a few seconds.

Then you have the ridiculous overtime rules that boil down to the luck of a coin toss giving one team a massive unearned advantage over the other.

This isn't sour grapes it is just glaringly obvious that the refs are in need of training or reform or something.
Its obviously not possible to be perfect but there needs to be a better system of checks and balances on the people we trust to be fair to both teams.

Havent you learned yet? the cheatriots in the corrupt NFL we have these days. ALWAYS have the NFL refs in their pockets,:Dthey would NEVER have been to so many superbowls and won so many AFC title games if their games were ever officiated FAIRLY.:abgg2q.jpg:

Andy Reid was correct,the refs should have WARNED Dee Ford.In a game of THIS magnitude as the article says so well,they usually give them a warning.

Andy Reid wonders why official didn't warn Dee Ford he was offside

Had it been any other AFC opponent,the refs WOULD have warned him.Not so for the cheatriots and Bill Belicheat and shady brady though of course.:D

the other thing is that should never have mattered,had the game been officiated fairly,it never would have come down to that.they could have still scored as they did and it would not have mattered had another BS call not gone against them when that personal foul BS call was called on tom brady on third and 10 when they stopped them which kept the drive alive.

THAT there was what cost them the game,was that BS call. as always is the story in the playoffs,the cheatriots get the calls,the opponents never do.:rolleyes: Like I KNOW you saw when Mahomes was complaning to the refs about the hit to his helmet.

they somehow dont see THAT personal foul penalty but somehow call a personal foul on brady that was NOT a personal foul? mere conicidence? sure it is,and I am the king of england.:rolleyes:

and as much as i would LOVE to get excited about the LOS ANGELES RAMS being in the superbowl,i cant because NEITHER team should be there and NEITHER is deserving of the superbowl trophy. It should be the SAINTS and CHIEFS. but the NFL is so fucking corrupt of course,thats not the case.

the NFL is getting more and more corrupt year after year.this is the first time i can ever recall of TWO teams BOTH going to the superbowl because these corrupt refs gift wrapped them the superbowl game.

The refs should have told a player he was off sides? What are you and Andy Reid babbling about? ONE OF HIS TEAMATES SHOULD HAVE TOLD HIM HE WAS OFFSIDES...ONE OF HIS COACHES SHOULD HAVE TOLD HIM HE WAS OFFSIDES...THE LAST PERSON IN THE WORLD WHO SHOULD HAVE TOLD HIM THAT WAS AN OFFICIAL!!!

Much worse.

The game would continue with the ball where it was at the end of the regulation game?
Yes. Kickoffs are proven to be the most dangerous point of the game. This is the reason for so many (I feel necessary) rule changes to mitigate the danger. This is one more mitigation. There would still be kick offs if a team scored in over-time or if regulation ended on a scoring play and the score being tied. But there wouldn't be an arbitrary kick off.

So if a defense made a heroic stand at the goal line to force overtime...their "reward" would be for the other team to start overtime at the goal line with the ball or for them to start on offense from their own goal line? That's grossly unfair.

Why? If they stopped the same team on 2nd down at the end of the 3rd quarter, their "reward" would be to have to do it on 3rd down in the 4th.
Additionally, the "reward" for a team on defense (at least half the time) either just scored to tie it--and will be rewarded with a fifth quarter to try to win the game--or was so pathetic that the team with the ball tied it up and was going for the killshot when they were stopped. So what is the difference?

What is grossly unfair is if the offense of the team that loses the coin flip never gets to play in overtime.

As for why the game shouldn't continue from the point the ball was at when time ran out? You do realize that would totally change the way the game was played...right? No more Hail Mary plays at the end of games...no more bend but don't break defense forcing teams to skillfully work their way down the field using the time that they have in a well run two minute drill? What you're calling for would make for some very bland football at the end of regulation. Nobody would take a chance on a big play because the odds would dictate they don't.

Much worse.

As for why the game shouldn't continue from the point the ball was at when time ran out? You do realize that would totally change the way the game was played...right? No more Hail Mary plays at the end of games...no more bend but don't break defense forcing teams to skillfully work their way down the field using the time that they have in a well run two minute drill? What you're calling for would make for some very bland football at the end of regulation. Nobody would take a chance on a big play because the odds would dictate they don't.

If a team on offense is down by one score near the end of regulation, you’ll see a possible hail mary or a team working it’s way down the field. That won’t change.

But if the game is tied, you will see the same football you see at the end of the 1st and 3rd quarters.

You complain about “very bland football”? Here is what the current rule system produced...

So, what happened with Tom Brady on Sunday when he had 11 seconds before the end of regulation and the score was tied? He took a knee.

Drew Brees; with 0:08 seconds left…took a knee.

I know there were people popping nitroglycerin tablets across America watching that! Wouldn’t it be better to see, at least, an attempt to move the ball forward? And save the “well that was just the end of the game” argument…. If there had been enough time for 2 plays, they would have taken the knee twice.

Time to change it.

I'll give you a good reason, Candy and it's one you just touched upon in your previous post...the risk of injury. People get hurt when they're exhausted. The longer you make the game the more risk you subject exhausted player to.
One or two extra quarters a year is what we’re talking about. Easy on the “we could get injured” hysteria.

By the way...the NFL has already addressed injuries in kickoffs. They no longer allow the kicking teams players to get a running start which makes a huge difference in the velocity that they reach before making contact with the opposing blockers or ball carriers. They've also moved the kickoff spot up so that the ball is kicked into the end zone and not returned at all most of the time. They also gave the ball to the offense further up field if they don't return the kickoff. The result is that you seldom see injuries on kickoffs as opposed to what you saw before.
Great point.

This is why I want to eliminate the kick off at the beginning of overtime.

I played hockey...the old rule was sudden death overtimes until someone scored a goal. Games could literally go on for an hour past regulation. Play was sloppy...the fans were asleep...so they changed the rules where you have an overtime period and then if the score is still tied you have a shootout.

Ok.

The non-call pass interference in the NFC game and the roughing the passer in the AFC game are both inexcusable and both decided the Superbowl participants.

which is WHY this is the biggest bullshit superbowl matchup EVER depriving the REAL superbowl teams the saints and chiefs a trip to the superbowl bullshit wnad WHY the corrupt NFL cartel needs to be aboloshed.

The non-call pass interference in the NFC game and the roughing the passer in the AFC game are both inexcusable and both decided the Superbowl participants.

which is WHY this is the biggest bullshit superbowl matchup EVER depriving the REAL superbowl teams the saints and chiefs a trip to the superbowl bullshit wnad WHY the corrupt NFL cartel needs to be aboloshed.
I wouldn't go so far as to say the Chiefs were unfairly robbed. There were certainly obvious bogus calls/non calls. But the Saints were clearly cheated

The saints' lawyer is suing the NFL and Ol Roger. Apparently there is a 'Rule 17' that allows him to nullify games. They want a new game based on that bad interference non-call.

The saints' lawyer is suing the NFL and Ol Roger. Apparently there is a 'Rule 17' that allows him to nullify games. They want a new game based on that bad interference non-call.

Incredible that the chiefs are not doing the same thing.they NEED to,they got screwed more times than the saints.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the Chiefs were unfairly robbed. There were certainly obvious bogus calls/non calls. But the Saints were clearly cheated

uh so were your chiefs.as ALWAYS,the cheatriots get the calls,the opponents do not. that bullshit personal foul penalty on brady would NEVER have been called had it been against ANOTHER AFC opponent but because the refs have their heads up shady bradys ass and robert krafts and they want to protect brady,thy call it a personal foul.it never would have come down to whats his name lining up in the neautral zone if that BS call was not vcalled cause they would have stopped them on third and long but it kept the drive alive and they got a touchdown out of it.

somehow hitting the SHOULD PAD of tom brady is a personal foul yet mahomes got a hit that was very similiar anbd MORE vicious that was NOT called as seen in this video. yep no favorites being played here by the refs.:rolleyes::laughing0301::iyfyus.jpg::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::lmao::rofl:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back