New Zealand's dark secret: Many of us are descendants of Australian convicts

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
images.jpg

The whaling station and hotel on what is now Ngatitoa Domain in Mana. Many former Australian convicts arriving in New Zealand passed themselves off as whalers, including Tim Shadbolt's great-grandfather.

Mocking Australia's criminal heritage is something of a national pastime, but Kiwis are increasingly discovering their own family trees are sprinkled with the same law-breaking lineage.

About 162,000 convicts were sent to penal colonies across Australia between 1788 and 1868. Now growing access to historic records has increased awareness of the number who went on to start new lives in New Zealand

Aussie crims in our family trees

View attachment 68850
The whaling station and hotel on what is now Ngatitoa Domain in Mana. Many former Australian convicts arriving in New Zealand passed themselves off as whalers, including Tim Shadbolt's great-grandfather.

Mocking Australia's criminal heritage is something of a national pastime, but Kiwis are increasingly discovering their own family trees are sprinkled with the same law-breaking lineage.

About 162,000 convicts were sent to penal colonies across Australia between 1788 and 1868. Now growing access to historic records has increased awareness of the number who went on to start new lives in New Zealand

Makes sense...

Great people, and one of the most prettiest girls I ever met was from New Zealand and I would call her Kiwi and no one here knew that is what they are called...

C'mon, the Shackledraggers were hand selected by England's finest judges...

I hear the Aussie's regularly celebrate the Queen of England's birthday. That seems like a kind of sick, self-loathing ritual if you ask me.
I believe it is actually the Queen of Australia's birthday they celebrate.

I hear the Aussie's regularly celebrate the Queen of England's birthday. That seems like a kind of sick, self-loathing ritual if you ask me.
I believe it is actually the Queen of Australia's birthday they celebrate.
Why would descendants of people who were banished from England celebrate England's ruler?

Not to say I don't think the Windsors are a poor lot to be anyone's head of state. I look forward to the day we dump the useless parasites. Our own useless parasites are perfectly adequate.

Last edited:
Congratulations!

The should have had their babies across the border in the United States, the children would automatically be American citizens. Mexico doesn't have birthright citizenship, it is very hard to become a Mexican citizen.

View attachment 68850

That explains why we both say "g'day".

Forum List

Back