New York Times carries ad demanding Japan’s apology

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by xomputer, Mar 30, 2012.

1. xomputer

xomputer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    New York Times carries ad demanding Japan’s apology
    Singer Kim Jang-hoon and Sungshin Women’s University professor Seo Kyoung-duk placed an advertisement in the New York Times on Wednesday, requesting compensation or a public apology from the Japanese government to former sex slaves for the Japanese military.

[​IMG]

The ad calling on the Japanese government to apologize for World War II sex slavery, which was published in the New York Times
    Headlined “Do You Hear?,” the ad shows a photo of Korean elderly women who were forced to serve as sex slaves for Japanese soldiers during World War II and explains that they have been holding weekly protests outside the Japanese Embassy in Seoul since 1992. It adds that the number of attendants at the gatherings has grown to about 1,000.

Kim, known as the “Dokdo guardian” for his role in promoting Korean sovereignty over the group of rocky islets in the East Sea, sponsored the ad while Seo took charge of the details. The two have printed several ads in foreign newspapers together. They placed the same “Do You Hear?” ad in the Wall Street Journal last December and the “Visit Korea” ad, about Dokdo and Ieodo, in the New York Times in February last year.

The New York Times’ publication of the latest ad is notable because there had been reports that the newspaper decided not to print Dokdo and comfort women-related ads anymore due to complaints from the Japanese Embassy.

“According to what I’ve found out through several sources, the New York Times never said that it would not print the Dokdo ad. Yomiuri’s report turned out to be false and the Japanese Embassy was only humiliated in public,” said Seo.

“A few days ago, Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda said that there is a big gap between what is being expressed about the ‘comfort women’ and the truth, and I am appalled. Hindering ads and making such reckless remarks only prove that Japan is not so clean about Dokdo and the military sex slave issue,” said Kim.

http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20120329000911

2. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,894
    Of course there have already been apologies and compensation, but it is an understandably emotional issue.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  3. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,085
    Really?? There are women being abused TODAY all around the world, but this is their focus??

4. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,894
    Many of these women are still alive. Their immediate families are still alive. What the hell do you expect to be their focus? The fact that apologies and compensation have already been given aside, it is more than understandable that this would still be a very sore point.

5. Sherry

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,085
    "Their" is a reference to the NYT...let's see them run ads about countries presently abusing women.

6. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,894
    Do you have some evidence of their refusal to run such ads?

7. Sherry

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,085
    STFU and stop assuming what my point is, dumbass...they love to editorialize without prompts to do the right thing, so let's see them fucking step up and do it.

8. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,894

This is not about editorials, it is about a paid advertisement. Now, do you have some evidence of their refusal to run such ads?

9. Sherry

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,085
    I don't need evidence to express my opinion of what else they could focus on...now stop being dense.:lol:

10. Lumpy 1

Lumpy 1 Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,868
    I wonder if the New York Times would investigate and report on this...

--------------nah, they wouldn't...too liberal

Does Islam condone slavery? Does Islamic teaching allow Muslim men to keep women as sex slaves?

Summary Answer:

Islam neither ignores nor condemns slavery. In fact, a large part of the Sharia is dedicated to the practice.

Muslims are encouraged to live in the way of Muhammad, who was a slave owner and trader. He captured slaves in battle. He had sex with his slaves. And he instructed his men to do the same. The Qur'an actually devotes more verses to making sure that Muslim men know they can keep women as sex slaves than it does to telling them to pray five times a day.

For Qur'an quotes.. go to the link...

TheReligionofPeace - Islam: Does Islam Condone Slavery & Sex Slavery?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012