New Space Shuttle two years from flying

Doesn't seem large enough to be anything more than a sky taxi.

From what I've read it will carry up to 5 tons (10,000 lbs) of cargo. The benefit is it can do a flight in a manner of hours from takeoff to landing. It will have a larger pressurized capacity than the retired Space Shuttles so can carry many passengers. And it can operate entirely unmanned, though I think the intent is to have a pilot.

I'm just happy to see the US get back into continuous manned space flight.

It's a frickin Cessna, and from another private manufacter ..

Which is good, but your title is misleading

Not even that since it still requires an Atlas rocket to reach space. I think the permanent space shuttle replacement plane is to come up with an orbiter that isn't just another glider.

Not even that since it still requires an Atlas rocket to reach space. I think the permanent space shuttle replacement plane is to come up with an orbiter that isn't just another glider.

That is what SpaceX is working on, a booster than can return and land and be reused. That technology is ten years from being perfected though and a mini-cooper sized shuttle to ferry supplies and people back and for to the International Space Station is a great in between solution.

That is what SpaceX is working on, a booster than can return and land and be reused. That technology is ten years from being perfected though and a mini-cooper sized shuttle to ferry supplies and people back and for to the International Space Station is a great in between solution.

To think my liberal friend, I wanted a death star, instead they give me a bi plane..

So disappointing ...

From what I have read over the years, NASA is more interested in something like the Virgin design. They want a vehicle that can actually fly under its own power for at least the reentry/landing--maintain flight and maneuver in the atmosphere for the added flexibility of being able to land in more places.

Forum List

Back