New Scrip = $600.

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
I was prescribed a medication from a compounding pharmacy and since I wanted to pick it up while in town rather than making a special trip, I told the pharmacist not to wait for the approval of my insurance company. Then, the pharmacist called to tell me that one of the ingredients would make the price of the scrip $600.

Needless to say, I called the doctor this morning and that ingredient will be left out. At this point, I don't know what the price will be or how much my insurance will cover.

The pharmaceutical company that makes the drug that is being used to treat ebola is laughing all the way to the bank.

So, what's the answer? Businesses should be allowed to make a profit on their product but at what point does that profit become obscene, inhuman and inhumane?

10550812_10152533899127908_4360670405368825566_n_zpsbd085468.png

OP is Full of Shit. $600 ingredient can be left out of the RX? BFS

Don't know,drug prices are a problem,my Oncology bill has now topped 120k and I am only 1/2 way through.
Not doing it,well just not an option. Profit is not an evil word.

Check the mfr's website. They may offer discounts. My Lumigan was $120 for a 2.5 ml bottle. That equates to about $38,000,000/barrel. :lol:
They have a program that discounts it considerably.
Good luck. :thup:

OP is Full of Shit. $600 ingredient can be left out of the RX? BFS

Educate yourself about compounding but apparently, a different formulation of the same ingredient will be used.

Don't know,drug prices are a problem,my Oncology bill has now topped 120k and I am only 1/2 way through.
Not doing it,well just not an option. Profit is not an evil word.

That's rough. I feel for you.

Profit is not an evil word - I agree and already said as much.

Check the mfr's website. They may offer discounts. My Lumigan was $120 for a 2.5 ml bottle. That equates to about $38,000,000/barrel. :lol:
They have a program that discounts it considerably.
Good luck. :thup:

That had better be a really big barrel!

I have an idea. Why not just make liberals who are not producers in the particular industry be the arbiters of "obscene, inhuman and inhumane"?

I was prescribed a medication from a compounding pharmacy and since I wanted to pick it up while in town rather than making a special trip, I told the pharmacist not to wait for the approval of my insurance company. Then, the pharmacist called to tell me that one of the ingredients would make the price of the scrip $600.

Needless to say, I called the doctor this morning and that ingredient will be left out. At this point, I don't know what the price will be or how much my insurance will cover.

The pharmaceutical company that makes the drug that is being used to treat ebola is laughing all the way to the bank.

So, what's the answer? Businesses should be allowed to make a profit on their product but at what point does that profit become obscene, inhuman and inhumane?

I takes two to tango.

I have an idea. Why not just make liberals who are not producers in the particular industry be the arbiters of "obscene, inhuman and inhumane"?

Research shows that prescription drug or medicine prices in the United States are among the highest in the world, including other developed countries. Time magazine stated "The prices Americans pay for prescription drugs, which are far higher than those paid by citizens of any other developed country, help explain why the pharmaceutical industry is — and has been for years — the most profitable of all businesses in the U.S." In the annual Fortune 500 survey, the pharmaceutical industry topped the list of the most profitable industries, with a return of 17% on revenue

Wiki

May 24, 1991

Americans pay some of the world's highest prices for their prescription drugs. While other governments usually negotiate prices, the United States has traditionally let companies decide for themselves what to charge.

According to one study, Americans paid an average of 54 percent more than Europeans for 25 commonly prescribed drugs. Some essential drugs are especially costly in the United States.

Economists say that drug companies -- even foreign ones -- are able to charge American patients a disproportionate share of their research costs. Most European governments bargain prices down to levels that cover companies' manufacturing and distributon costs, but much less of their research.

Why Drugs cost More in U.S. - New York Times

Research shows that prescription drug or medicine prices in the United States are among the highest in the world, including other developed countries. Time magazine stated "The prices Americans pay for prescription drugs, which are far higher than those paid by citizens of any other developed country, help explain why the pharmaceutical industry is — and has been for years — the most profitable of all businesses in the U.S." In the annual Fortune 500 survey, the pharmaceutical industry topped the list of the most profitable industries, with a return of 17% on revenue

Wiki

May 24, 1991

Americans pay some of the world's highest prices for their prescription drugs. While other governments usually negotiate prices, the United States has traditionally let companies decide for themselves what to charge.

According to one study, Americans paid an average of 54 percent more than Europeans for 25 commonly prescribed drugs. Some essential drugs are especially costly in the United States.

Economists say that drug companies -- even foreign ones -- are able to charge American patients a disproportionate share of their research costs. Most European governments bargain prices down to levels that cover companies' manufacturing and distributon costs, but much less of their research.

49669.jpg

Companies charge as much as they can get for everything they sell. Always. Everywhere. But don't worry, they won't make any profits off of you if you don't buy what they're selling.

Wiki

May 24, 1991

49669.jpg

He's a good representation of conservatives and their ability to ignore reality or honesty!

Wiki

May 24, 1991

Yep, we are subsidizing low prices and free drugs for third world countries.

Congratulations, the liberal dream achieved...we are the rich, we pay more. Progressive tax on a global scale.

So quit your bitchin', this is exactly what you all want...gouge the rich to pay for the poor...except somehow this now sucks because you aren't the beneficiary.

Wiki

May 24, 1991

Congratulations, the liberal dream achieved...we are the rich, we pay more. Progressive tax on a global scale.

So quit your bitchin', this is exactly what you all want...gouge the rich to pay for the poor...except somehow this now sucks because you aren't the beneficiary.

False premises, distortions and lies, the ONLY thing right wingers EVER have. I'm shocked

Wiki

May 24, 1991

False premises, distortions and lies, the ONLY thing right wingers EVER have. I'm shocked

Truth hurts doesn't it. Someone pays for everything...no such thing as a free lunch. Progressives love it when they are the beneficiaries but cry like babies when THEY are the rich paying "their fair share".

Dry your eyes baby...reap what you have sown.

How about this plan, rational Americans would receive health care at government expense just like what everyone receives in the counties with the highest quality health care systems. Christians and believers of other absurdities would automatically be placed on the Prayer Care Plan. This plan would not cost the government (or anyone else) anything at all. When believers got sick, they would pray for recovery. It's really that simple.This should be quite appealing to the large number of conservative Christians who oppose any step toward universal health care because it would save large sums of money. If they really believe in prayer, as they so often claim, then they would have nothing to worry about on the Prayer Care Plan. In fact, their health care should be better than that received by the rest of us!

You know as well as I do that Christians are not going to be lining up for such a plan. They are not interested in opting out of their current health insurance or failing to seek medical treatment. The question is why. The seemingly inescapable answer is that most Christians do not believe what they so often claim to believe.

10550812_10152533899127908_4360670405368825566_n_zpsbd085468.png

This is a bunch of hooey.

The price controls on prescription drugs in other countries mean that the R&D expenses to develop them in the U.S. (cuz that's where most of them are developed) is spread over the U.S. patient base.

And now we have all the taxes being placed on innovators due to the ACA. So what are we going to get? Less innovation and higher prices for the old stuff.

Forum List

Back