need a killer cake recipe...

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
i need a great cake for a birthday....i dont care for the deocrations as much as how the cake will taste...i am a pretty good cook...so i will tackle most anything...

thanks for the help

Good square cake:

Jello cake

Prepare a white cake mix per instructions

Take one large box of Jello, any flavor (strawberry/banana for me....anything red, it's pretty)
Reserve a couple or three tablespoons of dry Jello. Make the rest per instructions except only use half the water. You can either use the amount of hot water called for in the instructions and just not add any cold, or do half and half, doesn't matter.

Cook the cake (leave it in the pan, I use disposable ones)

Cool the Jello until it's about half jelled.

Poke holes in your cake...you can use anything, the handle of a wooden spoon is what I use. Don't push all the way through the cake, just poke holes about 1/2 of the way through. I like a lot of holes, every couple of inches.

Pour the jello over the cake, concentrating on the holes. Stick in the fridge if you like.

Take the reserved jello mix, mix with a couple of tablespoons of VERY hot water (maybe even more, enough that you can dissolve it). Add powdered sugar and a little vanilla, and beat. I like it thinner...so I just sort of drizzle and pour the icing over the cake, because if you make it too thick, you'll just tear up the cake. But if you make it too thin it's kinda ugly. You're thinking glaze consistency, but cover the whole top of the cake.

It's really yummy.

Another cake I make a lot is a pumkin cake, I'm sure you can make it as a layer cake but I always make it as a square cake....I know somebody else who always makes it into cupcakes. But it's REALLY easy...

Spice cake mix
1 small can of pumpkin
1 box of instant vanilla jello (this is actually optional, I've made it with and without. Will add size to your cake, though)
Eggs, oil, water.
Pumpkin Pie spice (I use 2 tsps)

Cream cheese frosting (I make my own because I think the stuff you buy tastes like chemicals)

I think you might add an extra egg to help bind it the cake, and it may take a little less water than the recipe for the cake mix calls for. It does take a longer time to cook, if you're a good cook you can probably up the temp and just watch it.

Then ice it with cream cheese frosting.

My kids love this cake, they'll eat it with or without frosting. In fact, I'm the one who likes the frosting. They like me to leave it off.

Carrots Cake is always a good party cake.

2 cups whole-wheat flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

2 teaspoons baking soda

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup wheat germ

1 3/4 cups white sugar

1 cup vegetable oil

3 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups shredded carrots

1 cup flaked coconut

1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained well

1 cup of chopped nuts Pecans or Walnuts if desired

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.

Stir in the wheat germ.

Make a well in the center and add sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla.

Mix well, then stir in shredded carrots, coconut , pineapple and chopped nuts.

Spread batter into a 9x13 inch pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until the center springs back when lightly tapped or your able to insert toothpick and it comes out clean.

Cool for a couple hours.

Frost with butter or cream chees frosting as desired.

Go to allrecipes.com which has really great recipes by real people who have actually tried making the food and rate them.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of Ina Garten aka Barefoot Contessa. Every recipe I've tried of her's comes out nothing less than perfection. Her recipe for Double-Chocolate Layer Cake is divine. You use buttermilk and a cup of coffee in the batter and it comes out delicious and most importantly, very moist.

It is in Food & Wine Annual Cookbook 2008: Double-Chocolate Layer Cake Recipe - Ina Garten | Food & Wine

Last edited:

Forum List

Back