Near miss by Asteroid 2005 YU 55 will occur at 6:28 p.m. EST (2328 GMT) Tuesday

zzzz

Just a regular American
Jul 24, 2010
Yountsville
I sure hope there is not one of those mistaken decimal points in the calculation here. Supposed to come closer than the moon and I can almost reach out and touch the moon some nights!!!

The orbit and position of the asteroid, which is about 1,312 feet in diameter, is well known, added senior research scientist Don Yeomans, with NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California.

"There is no chance that this object will collide with the Earth or moon," Yeomans said.

Huge asteroid headed for close encounter with Earth | Reuters

Oh, where are all the doomsayers anyway. I thought we would have been hearing about the end of the world already!!!

At its closest point, the space rock will be about 201,700 miles (324,600 kilometers) away, which is 0.85 the distance between the moon and the Earth. NASA says that the asteroid will reach this point at 6:28 p.m. EST on Tuesday.

"In effect, it'll be moving straight at us from one direction, and then go whizzing by straight away from us in the other direction," Benner said.

An asteroid this size -- which, according to Scientific American is larger than an aircraft carrier -- would cause widespread damage if it were to hit Earth, however. The Associated Press spoke to Jay Melosh, a professor of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at Purdue University, who said that the asteroid would create a four-mile wide crater 1,700 feet deep. It could cause 70-foot tsunami waves and shake the ground like a magnitude-7 earthquake.

Even though the asteroid will be inside the orbit of the moon, NASA said that the space rock's gravitational pull shouldn't have any "detectable effect" on Earth's tectonic plates or tides.

Asteroid 2005 YU55 To Narrowly Miss Earth (PHOTOS, VIDEO)

If it hit land it would be quite bad, if it hit the ocean it could be a civilisation ending event. That's why we need stop pissing money away with this AGW BS and start figuring out how to prevent one of these taking us out.

I read that NASA just released a satelite photo of the approaching asteroid....

TheBorg.jpg

Last edited:
It always amazed me (although scientists don't talk about it) that the thing that hit the earth around 1912 hit the most remote spot on the planet in Tonguska Siberia rather than downtown NY or L.A. "No athiests in the foxholes"?

It always amazed me (although scientists don't talk about it) that the thing that hit the earth around 1912 hit the most remote spot on the planet in Tonguska Siberia rather than downtown NY or L.A. "No athiests in the foxholes"?

Siberia is quite large as is the rest of the Asian continent so the odds are much greater that it would hit there then anywhere else. Now the question is what the hell was it. Carbonaceous Chondrite? Comet? A very perplexing question to this day.

Hmm, it seems it is going to be closer than what they said a couple days ago. Went from 201,000 miles to 198,000. At least the decimal point has not moved yet. I'd hate to see them announce a mathematical error that moves the decimal point 3 places to the left!

Scientists say the asteroid, which is about a quarter of a mile wide, will pass inside the moon's orbit and come within 198,000 miles (319,000km) of Earth at 23.28GMT
Asteroid Yu55 on course for close encounter with Earth | Science | The Guardian

Want to see what an impact will be like? Here is an online calculator. You specify the size and density and other variables if you wish of the meteor and it will give the size of the crater, blast effects, damage and global effects.

Impact: Earth!

Isn't this on the same day that they are shutting down the communication system for a test? and also isn't this on the same day that they will be doing a tsunami emergency response test on the west coast? Didn't Congress go on recess?

Last edited:
Oh, where are all the doomsayers anyway. I thought we would have been hearing about the end of the world already!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYWxhTZDTPw&feature=feedu]Jackson Card Identifies Location Of Meteor Strike ? - YouTube[/ame]

1,300 feet in diameter would seriously fuck up your day. Likely kill everything around the impact zone for 500-800 miles or more. Sends the planet into a decade long ice age.

Not really:

Here is the results for a persons standing 500 miles away from the impact site

Calculated Results

This is 100 miles away:

Calculated Results

Within 40 miles people start to be in serious trouble.

Calculated Results

This for it hitting 400 miles offshore in 6k meter deep water.

Calculated Results

Not exactly a picnic, but not the 800 miles of devestation you are quoting, nor the civilization ending tsumani in the post below.

Forum List

Back