Nancy Pelosi’s Congressional District Has Taken In Zero Syrian Refugees

Dude, like I said in my last post...you can not live in SF unless your making over $100.000 a year ... Getting a hamburger is $30.00

San Francisco Housing Crisis

I am in the South Bay, Taz is in the East Bay... We know what we are talking about...So stop thinking you know what you are talking about..

I know that S.F. itself has lots of wealthy people. I'm well aware of the cost of living there. And, no, I don't live in CA. One of the partners in my firm does as does a social acquaintance of over 20 years. One of them lives in Mill Valley and the other in Sausalito, both of which I know are north of S.F. I presume you'd call it "North Bay?"

My point is that the wealth of the people living there has nothing to do with whether refugees are settled there, but the cost of living in S.F. does for it is so high that absent any compelling reason, no "fresh off the plane" refugees with no money and no means of earning a decent wage (something I'd have thought would needs to be well over $100K/year) are going to be settled there. So, no, I'm not disputing the wealth of the folks who live there. I'm merely saying that S.F. residents' being wealthy isn't why Syrian refugees won't be settled there.

Many generations of families that live on a lesser income....Old, Spanish, Asian, ... were kicked out of San Francisco.....Many are homeless now.
Shelter waiting lists are a year long

Those people scrambled to the other area's for affordable housing.. My area in the South Bay has gotten crazy packed ... Now my area has become un-affordable...My boys can not afford to live here when they graduate unless if they live with me..
Why should it be any different for refugee's..

What?

The link I provided is from 2014, so it is worse now and has now gotten the whole bay area changing with the HI-Tech Mega rich coming in..A bunch a snobs actually.

Quantifying the Changing Face of San Francisco

Okay....Nobody thinks the folks living in S.F. aren't financially comfortable. What I'm looking for is someone who's going to explain and demonstrate, credibly, not just anecdotally, that:
  • The wealth/income status of existing S.F. residents has something to do with why Syrian refugees have not been settled there.
I live in D.C. and it's quite similar in many ways to S.F. It's small, having a population well below 1M and it's geographically small. Poor to average income folks quite often move out because it's too expensive to live in the city. Like S.F., citations/measures of median income are practically meaningless because unless one is in one of the few areas in the city where modest income folks are clustered together in units in multiunit buildings, there simply is nobody living in the city who is not at least an upper middle income earner/wealth holder. It may or may not be as expensive as S.F., but whether it is or not is irrelevant because it's expensive enough.

Like S.F., I don't think there are any Syrian refugees that have been settled in D.C. proper. That's not surprising to me. Where the heck would they be placed in D.C? Think about it. Assume a Syrian refugee family of four.
  • What sort of residence must they be placed in? A two or three bedroom dwelling.
  • What will that cost in any part of the city other than what is literally the slums? Assuming there is a vacant unit they can be placed in**, it'll cost about $3K -$4K per month in the city.

Look at that map and notice that it displays one-bedroom median prices. My family's business is rental real estate development and management, and based on our own occupancy rates, I can tell you for sure that the availability of two and three bedroom rental units is essentially zero. We've had none available for decades; on the rare occasion that someone moves out, it's re-rented before they've even left. We barely have time to clean and repaint the unit.
Now some folks may say "put them in the slums." Well, one can say that, one may even do it. The reality is that doing so just doesn't work. Other requirements, most notably transportation, and that's before even considering the safety factors. One has to be realistic. It's preposterous to think that one can plop a family of refugees into the most dangerous but also most affordable parts of a locality and think they won't be viewed as easy marks. There's no point in accepting them as refugees if they are going to get killed by the naer do wells here rather than by the ones where they came from.

It appears from the map I posted that shows where Syrian refugees have been settled some of them are in NYC. I doubt that many, if any, of them have been placed in Manhattan for exactly the same reason. It's just too expensive. Now if they happen to have a relative there who has room to take them in, well, that, like your son living with you, is a different matter.

Speaking of our kids, your son and my three....Would you encourage your son to live on his own -- meaning using his own resources, not subsidized by yours or his mother's -- in S.F? I know I wouldn't unless they happen to find a "share" situation that allows them to afford it. My own kids know damn well that it's too expensive for them to live in D.C. without some sort of arrangement that subsidizes the cost. That's all well and good, but a family of refugees isn't, for the most part, going to have any subsidy that results in lowering the cost of housing for the organizations that must pay for it for them. So basically, that means to house a refugee in S.F., D.C., Manhattan or any other pricey place, you, I and other taxpayers must foot that bill.

Now I don't mind being humanitarian enough to help them out by allowing some of my tax dollars to go to supporting them in a working class or lower middle class area where there's some good reason for them to be settled there, but I would not at all be keen about doing the same to put them into any of the most expensive places one can live in the U.S. That has nothing to do with how rich the residents of the place are. It's all about just not paying more than is really necessary and reasonable given the non-direct-cost factors that must be considered and accommodated.

Although I believe that your city is very expensive to live like most cities are now..but the difference is...Its $4-$7.000...It is much higher that this today.. These are not millionaires, they are over nigh MEGA Billionaires..Right now it is the richest city in country..

I want to rent a hi-rise apt just to live for a year...now that will never happen $8 -$11.000 month for the apt. I would like..

No teachers, housekeepers , store owners , ect can not afford to live there..

This is already happening in my town Los Gatos.....Mega Rich are buying up the land..I am going to make out like a bandit, but we may just rent out our home..My neightbor is getting %7.000 a month for her's....

SanFrancisco_MonthlyPriceMedianMap_Winter20161.png

Last edited:
Is anyone surprised by this?

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi has been a vocal backer of President Obama’s (ultimately successful) plan to import a minimum of 10,000 Syrian refugees by the end of the fiscal year, at one point accusing Republicans of “slamming the door on mothers and children.” But with just days remaining in the 2016 Fiscal Year, Pelosi’s own district has yet to resettle a single Syrian refugee.

Since Oct. 1, 2015, more than 12,000 Syrian refugees have been placed in the U.S., according to data from the State Department’s Refugee Processing Center.

San Francisco, California, which includes Pelosi’s district (CA-12), has taken in zero refugees since the fiscal year began. San Francisco also didn’t take in any Syrian Refugees in either 2014 or 2013.
No money to deal with them since they harbor illegal aliens & build separate bathrooms for freaks?

I know that S.F. itself has lots of wealthy people. I'm well aware of the cost of living there. And, no, I don't live in CA. One of the partners in my firm does as does a social acquaintance of over 20 years. One of them lives in Mill Valley and the other in Sausalito, both of which I know are north of S.F. I presume you'd call it "North Bay?"

My point is that the wealth of the people living there has nothing to do with whether refugees are settled there, but the cost of living in S.F. does for it is so high that absent any compelling reason, no "fresh off the plane" refugees with no money and no means of earning a decent wage (something I'd have thought would needs to be well over $100K/year) are going to be settled there. So, no, I'm not disputing the wealth of the folks who live there. I'm merely saying that S.F. residents' being wealthy isn't why Syrian refugees won't be settled there.

Many generations of families that live on a lesser income....Old, Spanish, Asian, ... were kicked out of San Francisco.....Many are homeless now.
Shelter waiting lists are a year long

Those people scrambled to the other area's for affordable housing.. My area in the South Bay has gotten crazy packed ... Now my area has become un-affordable...My boys can not afford to live here when they graduate unless if they live with me..
Why should it be any different for refugee's..

What?

The link I provided is from 2014, so it is worse now and has now gotten the whole bay area changing with the HI-Tech Mega rich coming in..A bunch a snobs actually.

Quantifying the Changing Face of San Francisco

Okay....Nobody thinks the folks living in S.F. aren't financially comfortable. What I'm looking for is someone who's going to explain and demonstrate, credibly, not just anecdotally, that:
  • The wealth/income status of existing S.F. residents has something to do with why Syrian refugees have not been settled there.
I live in D.C. and it's quite similar in many ways to S.F. It's small, having a population well below 1M and it's geographically small. Poor to average income folks quite often move out because it's too expensive to live in the city. Like S.F., citations/measures of median income are practically meaningless because unless one is in one of the few areas in the city where modest income folks are clustered together in units in multiunit buildings, there simply is nobody living in the city who is not at least an upper middle income earner/wealth holder. It may or may not be as expensive as S.F., but whether it is or not is irrelevant because it's expensive enough.

Like S.F., I don't think there are any Syrian refugees that have been settled in D.C. proper. That's not surprising to me. Where the heck would they be placed in D.C? Think about it. Assume a Syrian refugee family of four.
  • What sort of residence must they be placed in? A two or three bedroom dwelling.
  • What will that cost in any part of the city other than what is literally the slums? Assuming there is a vacant unit they can be placed in**, it'll cost about $3K -$4K per month in the city.

Look at that map and notice that it displays one-bedroom median prices. My family's business is rental real estate development and management, and based on our own occupancy rates, I can tell you for sure that the availability of two and three bedroom rental units is essentially zero. We've had none available for decades; on the rare occasion that someone moves out, it's re-rented before they've even left. We barely have time to clean and repaint the unit.
Now some folks may say "put them in the slums." Well, one can say that, one may even do it. The reality is that doing so just doesn't work. Other requirements, most notably transportation, and that's before even considering the safety factors. One has to be realistic. It's preposterous to think that one can plop a family of refugees into the most dangerous but also most affordable parts of a locality and think they won't be viewed as easy marks. There's no point in accepting them as refugees if they are going to get killed by the naer do wells here rather than by the ones where they came from.

It appears from the map I posted that shows where Syrian refugees have been settled some of them are in NYC. I doubt that many, if any, of them have been placed in Manhattan for exactly the same reason. It's just too expensive. Now if they happen to have a relative there who has room to take them in, well, that, like your son living with you, is a different matter.

Speaking of our kids, your son and my three....Would you encourage your son to live on his own -- meaning using his own resources, not subsidized by yours or his mother's -- in S.F? I know I wouldn't unless they happen to find a "share" situation that allows them to afford it. My own kids know damn well that it's too expensive for them to live in D.C. without some sort of arrangement that subsidizes the cost. That's all well and good, but a family of refugees isn't, for the most part, going to have any subsidy that results in lowering the cost of housing for the organizations that must pay for it for them. So basically, that means to house a refugee in S.F., D.C., Manhattan or any other pricey place, you, I and other taxpayers must foot that bill.

Now I don't mind being humanitarian enough to help them out by allowing some of my tax dollars to go to supporting them in a working class or lower middle class area where there's some good reason for them to be settled there, but I would not at all be keen about doing the same to put them into any of the most expensive places one can live in the U.S. That has nothing to do with how rich the residents of the place are. It's all about just not paying more than is really necessary and reasonable given the non-direct-cost factors that must be considered and accommodated.

Although I believe that your city is very expensive to live like most cities are now..but the difference is...Its $4-$7.000...It is much higher that this today.. These are not millionaires, they are over nigh MEGA Billionaires..Right now it is the richest city in country..

I want to rent a hi-rise apt just to live for a year...now that will never happen $8 -$11.000 month for the apt. I would like..

No teachers, housekeepers , store owners , ect can not afford to live there..

This is already happening in my town Los Gatos.....Mega Rich are buying up the land..I am going to make out like a bandit, but we may just rent out our home..My neightbor is getting %7.000 a month for her's....

SanFrancisco_MonthlyPriceMedianMap_Winter20161.png

Okay....As I remarked earlier, I don't really care in the context of this thread's topic which city has a higher COL or wealthier people. Neither city, judging by the COL, seems like a good place to resettle Syrian refugees.

Forum List

Back