Najaf Mosque May Be Entered Today

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...on_re_mi_ea/iraq_defense_minister_7&printer=1

excerpt:

"Today is a day to set this compound free from its imprisonment and its vile occupation," Shaalan told the Arab-language television station Al-Arabiya.

Since peace talks have failed, "we have to turn to what's stronger and greater in order to teach them a lesson that they won't forget, and to teach others a lesson as well," Shaalan said.

After Shaalan's threat, renewed bombing and gunfire were heard near Najaf's Old City, the center of much of the previous fighting.

Shaalan said Iraqi forces were fully trained to raid one of the holiest sites in Shiite Islam. He reiterated that U.S. forces would not enter the shrine, which almost certainly would cause an uproar among the country's majority Shiites.

I personally don't care, but having an all iraqi force make the raid states in no uncertain terms that the iraqi government is calling the shots and thats damn fine. :thup:

DKSuddeth said:
I personally don't care, but having an all iraqi force make the raid states in no uncertain terms that the iraqi government is calling the shots and thats damn fine. :thup:

Yes, you're right. It's just that I get a little tired of the racist bastards and their attitudes.

so much for the iraqi government calling the shots.

Radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr has accepted a peace plan drafted by the Iraqi National Conference, which would include laying down arms and withdrawing his militia from a holy shrine in the city of Najaf, a delegate told the conference Wednesday. There was no immediate confirmation from al-Sadr's office.

"Muqtada al-Sadr has agreed on the conditions set by the National Conference," she said reading the letter to the conference.

"We call on the Iraqi government and the National Conference to participate in implementing what is proposed by Muqtada al-Sadr, otherwise everybody will bear the responsibility," the letter said.

It just seems to me this whole situation needs to be resolved ASAP in order for progress to be made in Iraq period. Maybe Im placing to much importance there??

"We call on the Iraqi government and the National Conference to participate in implementing what is proposed by Muqtada al-Sadr, otherwise everybody will bear the responsibility," the letter said.

Why do I think this is the operative part of DK's article? :eek:

Forum List

Back