Myths about unions

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
I believe there are three common myths about unions:

Myth 1: They were once necessary but have now outlived their usefulness.

Bullshit. Only a naive twatstick would actually believe that the elimination of unions wouldn't gradually lead back to serious exploitation of workers. More fields should be unionizing, not fewer.

Myth 2: Unions are somehow anti-free market.

Colossal Bullshit! There is nothing remotely anti-free market about a pool of workers organizing and negotiating as a group. Ever hear of economies of scale motherfuckers? Nothing more principally free market than that.

Myth 3: Union leadership is so corrupt that they do more harm than good.

Mountainous Fucking Bullshit! There are plenty of examples of people in positions of power abusing that power in all walks of life. That's just human nature. Unions are no different. And of course that's all you ever hear about. The fact that union workers actually earn a living wage WHILE at the same time their employers generate substantial profits just doesn't grab headlines.

[/rant]

Discuss

• Banned

Bullshit. Only a naive twatstick would actually believe that the elimination of unions wouldn't gradually lead back to serious exploitation of workers. More fields should be unionizing, not fewer.

Colossal Bullshit! There is nothing remotely anti-free market about a pool of workers organizing and negotiating as a group. Ever hear of economies of scale motherfuckers? Nothing more principally free market than that.

Mountainous Fucking Bullshit! There are plenty of examples of people in positions of power abusing that power in all walks of life. That's just human nature. Unions are no different. And of course that's all you ever hear about. The fact that union workers actually earn a living wage WHILE at the same time their employers generate substantial profits just doesn't grab headlines.

[/rant]

Discuss

I wish labor unions were more visible, especially when it comes to the contributions they have made to this nation.

41FOkDOpo9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:
An anecdote of questionable veracity that even if true, doesn't make it the rule.

I'm decidedly underwhelmed. :rolleyes:

Nor does it make it a myth. Just as your three points here are only a matter of your opinion.

What happened to the hot chick in your avatar? :(

:lol:

The hot chick is still right here. ;) Why you miss her?:)

The hot chick also says you cant see the clearing when your stuck in the forest surrounded by trees.

I am sorry but the unions are but a hollow shadow of what they once stood for. Cancer is a strange thing, you don't know your sick with a month to live, until it is far to late.

[/rant]

Discuss

I wish labor unions were more visible, especially when it comes to the contributions they have made to this nation.

Careful what you wish for. Or havent you seen or heard about what the unions have done for the economy and are still trying to do for the economy.

By the Union and for the good of the state, we bring you our sorry union asses with our hands out looking for save the union skins. AGAIN.

For all of those who are about to die we salute you.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...ushing-165-billion-union-pension-bailout.html

[/rant]

Discuss

Careful what you wish for. Or havent you seen or heard about what the unions have done for the economy and are still trying to do for the economy.

By the Union and for the good of the state, we bring you our sorry union asses with our hands out looking for save the union skins. AGAIN.

For all of those who are about to die we salute you.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...ushing-165-billion-union-pension-bailout.html

So, I guess what you are trying to say is you don't care for labor unions?

IBT_LOGO_COLOR.jpg

Last edited:

I don't care for thugs. I don't care for blackmailers. I don't care for lazy workers. I don't care for suppression of fair competition. I don't care for forced unionization.

I don't care for thugs. I don't care for blackmailers. I don't care for lazy workers. I don't care for suppression of fair competition. I don't care for forced unionization.

Unless you're a business owner, you've benefited from the Labor Movement whether you realize it or not.

Unless you're a business owner, you've benefited from the Labor Movement whether you realize it or not.

Amazing.

You do see that you just said that unions are anti business? And that is the entire point. Unions are pro unions. Unions are not pro business or pro labor.

Business owners also benefit by having employees that think they are being treated fairly. Morale is good for productivity.

Bullshit is right. They were never "necessary" or even especially useful. They have done far more harm than good though, so they got that going for them

"Somehow"? How about how the auto workers union nearly destroyed domestic production. They turned car companies into health care companies with a car building subsidiary. The highest paid unskilled labor in the world could give a damn about their product or if the company is even making a profit. They run to the government for bailouts and favors, they run to the government to demand taxes and tariffs on foreign competition and even put flat out limits on the number of foreign cars allowed to be sold here reguardless of demand.

Public employee unions are backrupting cities and States accross the country sucking money out of the marketplace by the truckload. Public education is de-facto run by teachers unions who do a lousy job and choke out the compitition of the nearly always superior private schools.

RealClearPolitics - Video - Christie: Students Trapped By "Selfish, Greedy" & "Disgraceful" Teacher Unions

They are more corrupt than the average bear as they have more power and near monopolistic control of some areas and industries. That however is part of human nature but it is still the case that there is not nearly enough competition among unions and that is exactly the way they want it.

Unions kill meritocracy. Thus, no matter how skilled a pilot, car builder, teacher or whatever you are, to the union you are a number. You can't get promoted by merit over someone who was hired a day before you were. That makes for mediocre workers everywhere a strong union exist.

Business owners also benefit by having employees that think they are being treated fairly. Morale is good for productivity.

Competition for your job is good for productivity. Knowing that if you are a lazy ass you will be replaced is good for productivity.

An anecdote of questionable veracity that even if true, doesn't make it the rule.

You've never been forced to hire union labor have you.
I have been. And yes they can be a pain in the ass. They demand breaks! They demand overtime if worked!

A lot of business owners think their employees are tools and abuse them. You can't abuse your actual tools or else they break.

Employees have a right to make an attempt to not be tools.

You've never been forced to hire union labor have you.
I have been. And yes they can be a pain in the ass. They demand breaks! They demand overtime if worked!

A lot of business owners think their employees are tools and abuse them. You can't abuse your actual tools or else they break.

Employees have a right to make an attempt to not be tools.

Said employees also have the right to leave if they don't feel they are being treated "fairly"

Forum List

Back