Myths about unions

You've never been forced to hire union labor have you.
I have been. And yes they can be a pain in the ass. They demand breaks! They demand overtime if worked!

A lot of business owners think their employees are tools and abuse them. You can't abuse your actual tools or else they break.

Employees have a right to make an attempt to not be tools.

Said employees also have the right to leave if they don't feel they are being treated "fairly"
Isn't that like saying if you don't like paying income taxes you can move out of the country?

Oh yes, it is.

I have been. And yes they can be a pain in the ass. They demand breaks! They demand overtime if worked!

A lot of business owners think their employees are tools and abuse them. You can't abuse your actual tools or else they break.

Said employees also have the right to leave if they don't feel they are being treated "fairly"
Isn't that like saying if you don't like paying income taxes you can move out of the country?

Oh yes, it is.

Actually it is the other way around.

It is more like saying: If you bribe (dues) your way into the country, you can stay.

So, I guess what you are trying to say is you don't care for labor unions?

I don't care for thugs. I don't care for blackmailers. I don't care for lazy workers. I don't care for suppression of fair competition. I don't care for forced unionization.

I don't care for corporate greed! :cheeky-smiley-018:

bbrn4l.jpg

Last edited:
Wouldn't this debate be more useful if at least one side presented verifiable facts:

Such as COLA in largely unionized areas vs. sparsely unionized areas.

Union shop productivity and profitability vs. non-union shop.

This seems more like competing rants than an attempt to inform the uninformed or otherwise gain support for the positions you are advocating.

So, I guess what you are trying to say is you don't care for labor unions?

I don't care for thugs. I don't care for blackmailers. I don't care for lazy workers. I don't care for suppression of fair competition. I don't care for forced unionization.

bbrn4l.jpg

And what do you think unions are? A mom and pop? Unions are BIG business. They are huge cooperations.

Your cartoon fits the bill of a union exactly. Thank you.

I believe there are three common myths about unions:

Myth 1: They were once necessary but have now outlived their usefulness.

Bullshit. Only a naive twatstick would actually believe that the elimination of unions wouldn't gradually lead back to serious exploitation of workers. More fields should be unionizing, not fewer.

Like Walmart and all those other evil corporations that the unions have failed to move into over the last few years? Ever wonder why unions have lost so many elections to unionize workers? Why union membership is less than 10% ot the total wok force in private companies? Could it possibly be because most people thingk they are better off without unions?

Myth 2: Unions are somehow anti-free market.

Colossal Bullshit! There is nothing remotely anti-free market about a pool of workers organizing and negotiating as a group. Ever hear of economies of scale motherfuckers? Nothing more principally free market than that.

I agree, which is why I am confused that you are whining when the free market obviously does not want what you are selling.

Myth 3: Union leadership is so corrupt that they do more harm than good.

Mountainous Fucking Bullshit! There are plenty of examples of people in positions of power abusing that power in all walks of life. That's just human nature. Unions are no different. And of course that's all you ever hear about. The fact that union workers actually earn a living wage WHILE at the same time their employers generate substantial profits just doesn't grab headlines.

All I ever hear about is unions? Ever hear of Enron, Bernie Madoff, Rod Blagojevich, or Jim Greer? Are they all heads of unions?

General Motors is making a substantial profit? Chrysler? All the governments across the country?

bbrn4l.jpg

And what do you think unions are? A mom and pop? Unions are BIG business. They are huge cooperations.

Your cartoon fits the bill of a union exactly. Thank you.

You are more than welcome, keep repeating this post so no one misses the cartoon!

An anecdote of questionable veracity that even if true, doesn't make it the rule.

I'm decidedly underwhelmed. :rolleyes:

You've never been forced to hire union labor have you.

So it's OK with you that a 4 hour minimum is charged even if 10 minutes of work was done?

It's OK with you that a guy gets paid over and over again to fix the tiles that he put up wrong in the first place?

If you hired a contractor to tile your shower and tiles popped off the wall for 3 weeks, would you pay him 4 hours labor every time he had to come back and fix what he screwed up in the first place?

You obviously didn't read the link I provided

Who did the people in your story work for? The state or a private company?

If you read the post you would see that the facility was a state run home for disabled men.

And State government must hire union labor for any and all work that is done.

The contractors were hired through various bidding processes which we all know are nothing but a farce anyway.

If you read the post you would see that the facility was a state run home for disabled men.

The contractors were hired through various bidding processes which we all know are nothing but a farce anyway.
If they were state employees they were getting paid regardless of where they worked.

If they were contractors then the state is not obligated to rehire companies that don't perform.

The state isn't obligated to hire union workers. My company doesn't have a union and I am allowed to bid on state jobs...not that I ever would, they take too long to pay.

If they were state employees they were getting paid regardless of where they worked.

The contractors were not state employees. Hence the term contractor instead of employee.

If they were contractors then the state is not obligated to rehire companies that don't perform.

Wow there's that naivete again. Companies that get state contracts always have an in with some asshole politician. The bidding process is just another government scam to pay off political cronies.

The state isn't obligated to hire union workers. My company doesn't have a union and I am allowed to bid on state jobs...not that I ever would, they take too long to pay.

Even if the state did not hire union labor, it is stipulated in the bidding process that even nonunion companies pay prevailing union wage and comply with all union policies. So in effect states are forced to hire union labor.

When I was in college, I did summer work in a nonunion roofing business. We landed several jobs on subsidized housing and got paid union wages because that is what the state required.

We were instructed not to hurry because the longer the job took, the more the company could pad the bill. I know for a fact that the materials were marked up way more than they would have been if the job was not state funded.

I used to work for the government. Yes, there is a lot of corruption in government. However, the bids were for the entire job at a flat rate. If the contractor went over he had to renegotiate.

Sounds to me the problem in your scenario is the state and not the union.

I used to work for the government. Yes, there is a lot of corruption in government. However, the bids were for the entire job at a flat rate. If the contractor went over he had to renegotiate.

Unions are just as corrupt as any state government.

Unions are just as corrupt as any state government.
As are corporations.

They are all made up of people. Maybe we should eliminate the human race?

Unions are just the thug arm of the Democrat Party. Otherwise, they'd spend their time and money negotiating with employers... rather than trying to infiltrate our government by BUYING candidates.

Unions are just the thug arm of the Democrat Party. Otherwise, they'd spend their time and money negotiating with employers... rather than trying to infiltrate our government by BUYING candidates.

Sound familiar? Sounds like a Tea Bagger to me. :popcorn:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if88PgI-vfU]YouTube - Bill Maher BECOMES a Teabagger - 4/23/10[/ame]

Forum List

Back