My Rep Count On This Day Is 262 So In Celebration I Give You:

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
The Messerschmitt Me 262! The worlds first production combat jet fighter.

[youtube]RYXd60D_kgQ[/youtube]

The 262 was about 100 miles an hour faster than anything we had at the time. Had Hitler allowed production of these fighters en masse we'd probably be speaking German now! But thankfully, he hardly ever took the advice of his Generals and leaders of the German war industry.

0503007_1.jpg

Here it is snuggled up close to the Collings Foundation B-24. My Grandfather flew B-24's during the war.

0712007_3.jpg

It is my understanding that between production problems and the fact that the manning those jets were practically a death sentence, coupled with the fact that Germany was running out of qualified pilots this technology came too little too late to make a difference.

I'm not much of military historian, of course, but a military defending a collapsing economy isn't going to last long and that is what happened to Germany not only in WWI, but in WWII, also.

It is my understanding that between production problems and the fact that the manning those jets were practically a death sentence, coupled with the fact that Germany was running out of qualified pilots this technology came too little too late to make a difference.

I'm not much of military historian, of course, but a military defending a collapsing economy isn't going to last long and that is what happened to Germany not only in WWI, but in WWII, also.
I think your confusing the Me 163 Komet which was a death trap with the 262.

The 262 would have kept American and British bombers out of Germany by attaining air superiority. But Hitler thought the 262 should be used as a bomber for some reason and he threw that advantage away.

Forum List

Back