Music With a Message: Surfing the Wave of Nicaragua's Socially Conscious Rock Scene

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The passion for music runs deep in a country where it was a key part of its indigenous culture and 20th century revolutionary movements. On any given weekend, you can find half a dozen concerts in dingy, beloved bars and cultural centers. Nicaraguan musicians aren’t in it to make a living, however; the cover charge for those concerts rarely exceeds $4, and most bands give away their mp3s for free on Soundcloud or on burned CDs.

“Society needs art to survive. That’s why we keep it up,” Ruiz said. He is one of the many Nicaraguan musicians who incorporate social messages into their lyrics. Their commitment to music as a community has flourished in the last 30 years, when contemporary sounds from around the world flowed into the country after a U.S.-imposed embargo instigated by Ronald Reagan after the Sandinistas succeeded in the revolution staged against a U.S.-backed dictator was finally lifted. Today, it’s not uncommon for bands to infuse classic Nicaraguan sounds, like cumbia and folkloric music, with rock, electronic and rap music.

Music With a Message: Surfing the Wave of Nicaragua's Socially Conscious Rock Scene | NOISEY

You can read the rest at the link. I think I may be getting old. That first one is not as cool as it once would have been. Next up---GTF off my lawn.

I really did laugh out loud. Music for my own late night show.

Forum List

Back