Murder on the Orient Express [1974]

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Murder on the Orient Express is a 1974 British mystery film directed by Sidney Lumet, produced by John Brabourne and Richard B. Goodwin, and based on the 1934 novel of the same name by Agatha Christie.

The film features the Belgian detective Hercule Poirot (Albert Finney), who is asked to investigate the murder of an American business tycoon aboard the Orient Express train. The suspects are portrayed by an all-star cast, including Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman, Sean Connery, John Gielgud, Vanessa Redgrave, Michael York, Jacqueline Bisset, Anthony Perkins and Wendy Hiller (source of information from top: Wikipedia).

This is a very well-crafted and rather intricately-designed film, and it's based on an Agatha Christie novel, so we can expect some 'high-brow' mystery storytelling.

The cast speaks for itself and it's very impressive, and the look of the film is at once sentimental and gritty, and Finney is perfect as the pensive but pragmatic detective Hercule Poirot.

Sidney Lumet has given us multiple thoughtful films, such as Dog Day Afternoon and Network, and Murder on the Orient Express stands out for its authentic humanism-oriented mystery-themed atmospheric storytelling.

Now that a remake is being released (directed by and starring Kenneth Branagh as Detective Poirot), we have to wonder if yesteryear's brand of sensitivity film-making (and storytelling!) can be coordinated with today's cinematic interests in 'impact-sociology.'

The Lumet original is searing if anything, which is why it's a great movie experience for people looking for role-playing excitement (e.g., etiquette-based class-warfare conversation games), so I give this much-lauded film 5/5 stars if I afford, say, a classic/treasured 'etiquette-diorama' film such as Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid also 5/5 stars!

Anyone a fan of the 'aesthetics-vignette' films The Natural and The Dictator?

murder.png

{interpretation-dialogue}
====

POIROT: We should find this train-ride to be pleasant...
RATCHETT: I have very uncomfortable suspicions, detective!
DEBENHAM: We want entertainment.

POIROT: I'm not a mercenary; I can't entertain doubts.
RATCHETT: Be serious; I think I'm in trouble...
DEBENHAM: Maybe we're all terrorists!

POIROT: If you end up dead, I'll apologize.
RATCHETT: You sure will!
DEBENHAM: What an adventure.

====

moe.jpg

New Topics

Forum List

Back