Multiple states activating Emergency operations center Pilots told avoid flying over area NUKE SITE

More info from the tri city herald-
Hanford waste tunnel collapses, no airborne radiation detected
Emergency work starts to fill hole in Hanford radioactive waste tunnel

And-

The tunnel where the breach was discovered Tuesday is the oldest of the two.

It is 360 feet long and was built using primarily creosoted timbers arranged side by side. The Department of Energy said concrete also was used.

Then it was covered with about eight feet of soil. It’s 22 feet high and 19 feet wide, according to Heart of America Northwest, a Seattle-based Hanford watchdog group.

Between June 1960 and January 1965, eight rail cars loaded with radioactive waste were pushed into the tunnel.

A second, stronger waste tunnel was built in 1964 with internal steel I-beams attached to reinforced concrete arches. It has a steel liner.

The second tunnel is 1,700 feet long and holds 28 rail cars of equipment, although it was built for 40.

The last rail car apparently was pushed inside in the early 1990s.

Between 1995 and 1997, water-filled doors of both tunnels and the outer PUREX railroad tunnel door were sealed, according to the CRESP report. Water can serve as a shield against radiation.

Last year a new legal deadline was set, requiring DOE to decide what process it would use to assess the integrity of the tunnels by September of this year.

The cleanup of the tunnels is part of central Hanford work that is required to be finished by 2042.

Those deadlines were among Tri-Party Agreement deadlines for central Hanford revised in 2016, as work had fallen behind schedule there because efforts and budget were focused on cleaning up contamination nearer the Columbia River.

Read more here: Roof failure was at a one-of-a-kind Hanford tunnel system

Pilots told to avoid flying over area

LOL!

Maybe read the link before making jokes....

Tri-City Herald, May 9, 2017: Private pilots in the area have been told to avoid flying over Hanford. The Hanford Patrol is working with the Federal Aviation Administration to put a formal air restriction in place until the FAA can confirm there is no danger.

Sorry, Mindless posts so much panicky, doomsday crap, it's difficult to find the occasional fact.

Awwww are you a little to weak minded to handle all the scary stuff. You should find a near by safe space.
Since the events of REAL FKN LIFE is a little too hard for you to handle let alone accept.

Oh so scaryeeee BALL LESS CYKA.

LOL!

Are you posting this from your bunker?

LOL!

Tri-City Herald, May 9, 2017: Private pilots in the area have been told to avoid flying over Hanford. The Hanford Patrol is working with the Federal Aviation Administration to put a formal air restriction in place until the FAA can confirm there is no danger.

Sorry, Mindless posts so much panicky, doomsday crap, it's difficult to find the occasional fact.

I got more mined that you could ever dream of, that's why real information can't fit into that useless head of yours it can't hold enough to fill it with anything but SNOPES, and CNN as you pray to your media gawds to tell you who BEYONCE screwed last night, and who Kim K laid in bed with last.

I bet you can tell us what WHOOPIE said yesterday though.

I got more mined that you could ever dream of

DERP!

Something you have yet to understand.....this really did happen & is still a very real concern. The largest nuclear waste dump in the country if not the world has had a collapse and is in danger of leaking nuclear waste in the soil, in the air and especially in the water via Columbia River that flows just a few hundred miles into the Pacific Ocean.
The Yakima Valley & surrounding area is a large contributor to the nations food supply. Now get a grip

Something you have yet to understand.....this really did happen & is still a very real concern.

You think a leak of radiation is going to reach out and endanger planes flying overhead?

Awwww are you a little to weak minded to handle all the scary stuff. You should find a near by safe space.
Since the events of REAL FKN LIFE is a little too hard for you to handle let alone accept.

LOL!

I got more mined that you could ever dream of, that's why real information can't fit into that useless head of yours it can't hold enough to fill it with anything but SNOPES, and CNN as you pray to your media gawds to tell you who BEYONCE screwed last night, and who Kim K laid in bed with last.

DERP!

Something you have yet to understand.....this really did happen & is still a very real concern. The largest nuclear waste dump in the country if not the world has had a collapse and is in danger of leaking nuclear waste in the soil, in the air and especially in the water via Columbia River that flows just a few hundred miles into the Pacific Ocean.
The Yakima Valley & surrounding area is a large contributor to the nations food supply. Now get a grip

Something you have yet to understand.....this really did happen & is still a very real concern.

You think a leak of radiation is going to reach out and endanger planes flying overhead?

It doesn't really matter what you or I think, now does it? There were two different references in previous posts, that included info about halting any air traffic thru the area. Not just what I had quoted earlier of MindWars OP, but also from Old Rocks I think it was that referenced another source. So if they are calling or did call for a so-called 'no fly zone'......then I guess there's probably a good reason for it. Dontcha think??

LOL!

DERP!

It doesn't really matter what you or I think, now does it? There were two different references in previous posts, that included info about halting any air traffic thru the area. Not just what I had quoted earlier of MindWars OP, but also from Old Rocks I think it was that referenced another source. So if they are calling or did call for a so-called 'no fly zone'......then I guess there's probably a good reason for it. Dontcha think??

......then I guess there's probably a good reason for it.

Cool!
What is a good reason?

Here is from MindWars link...........

And here is from Old Rocks post #11 on page 1....

Federal officials have instituted a five-mile no-fly zone around the site up to 5,000 feet in altitude, which is lower than that typically flown by commercial airliners

Try reading once in a while, ya just might learn sumpin

I don't think Nuclear energy is safe no matter how it's taken, how it's used or how we put it down in the ground. If it were safe it wouldn't need put however many feet down in the ground, if it were safe it wouldn't have to be delt with so carefully when exposing it.

Soon we will have no place to put this nuclear bs then what will we do. Just about every Nuclear plan in the IS is leaking already.

Fukushima is causing many other Countries to dump Nuclear energy because accidents happen like Japan's .

They can't even get ppl to go in and work those plants any more they hire ppl who don't even know what they are doing.

Germany and Switzerland are suppose to dump using Nuclear energy.

You need to lay off the sauce while posting conspiracy nut! Your typing is going to hell!

Federal officials have instituted a five-mile no-fly zone around the site up to 5,000 feet in altitude, which is lower than that typically flown by commercial airliners

Yeah, still looking for a reason. Let alone a good one.

LOL!

LOL!

LOL!

DERP!

Just exactly how is the nuclear waste going to leak? Do you have any idea how this stuff is transported and stored?

The Chicken Littles are running amuck again!

Germany and Switzerland are suppose to dump using Nuclear energy.

What has happened to the cost of energy in Germany?

Are you aware that Communist China has more Nuclear plants under construction and being planned than the rest of the world combined?

LOL!

DERP!

Just exactly how is the nuclear waste going to leak? Do you have any idea how this stuff is transported and stored?

The first scoops of clean sand and soil were dropped about 9 a.m. Wednesday into the collapsed portion of a Hanford nuclear reservation tunnel holding highly radioactive waste.

A Hanford crew had worked through Tuesday night laying down gravel for a pad to allow heavy equipment to begin filling the section of a waste disposal tunnel that collapsed.

Washington Gov. Jay Inslee announced at noon Wednesday that the state’s Department of Ecology was preparing an enforcement action against DOE that he expected to be issued on Thursday.

The state, a Hanford regulator, will require that certain steps be taken to protect workers and the public.

A 20-by-20-foot hole was discovered Tuesday morning over the top of the oldest of the PUREX processing plant tunnels at the Hanford nuclear reservation in Eastern Washington state near Richland.

DOE confirmed Tuesday that the hole had breached the tunnel, potentially exposing the waste to the air.

No detection of airborne radiation had been reported by the Department of Energy as of Wednesday morning.

The Washington state Departments of Ecology and Health also are monitoring the air, Inslee said.

“It appears the situation is largely stabilized,” the governor said. “But I am extremely concerned about what happened yesterday and how the Department of Energy can give us confidence that this will not happen again.”

The state’s enforcement will require DOE to determine the cause of the breach and assess if there is an immediate risk of additional failures at the PUREX tunnels, he said.

It will require actions for safe storage of waste in the tunnels until a decision is made on how to permanently dispose of the waste. DOE also likely will have to submit information related to the dangerous waste permit issued by the state to say how it plans to clean up the tunnels.

“If you have collapsing tunnels that could expose workers, this is a very dramatic concern that we have.” Inslee said.

The state enforcement action can help emphasize the need for adequate federal funding for Hanford, as proposals are made to cut the federal budget, he said.

Environmental cleanup work in central Hanford, including at the PUREX plant, has been delayed because of lack of money.

Although the nuclear reservation receives more than $2 billion annually, the focus in recent years has been on cleanup of contamination closest to the Columbia River and on 56 million gallons of liquid and sludge radioactive and hazardous chemical waste held in aging underground tanks.

The breach continued to receive national attention Wednesday.

“Dedicated experts on the ground are looking closely at what next steps should be taken with respect to mitigating future tunnel breaches,” said White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

The House Energy and Commerce Committee has requested a briefing on the situation, said committee Chairman Greg Walden, R-Ore. The committee needs to understand the circumstances that contributed to the tunnel cave-in and concerns related to operations at Hanford, he said.

Energy Secretary Rick Perry is receiving regular updates, according to his staff.

At Hanford Wednesday, an excavator was being used to reach an arm with a scoop up over the berm formed by the tunnel to reach the hole.

The breach is being filled with a mixture of mostly sand and some soil to stabilize the site. Sand was picked for its density, according to the Department of Energy.

The excavator operator and some nearby workers were wearing protective clothing and air purifying respirators.

Employees planned to work slowly and methodically, according to DOE.

Filling the tunnel break is planned to prevent any radioactive material escaping into the air.

Once the collapsed area of the tunnel is filled, Hanford officials will determine what additional actions need to be taken, according to DOE.

No radioactive “shine” had been measured from the breach, according to DOE. Monitoring showed radiation at normal background levels.

The soil falling into the hole at the top of the tunnel would have helped contain any radiation or release of any radioactive material into the air, according to DOE.

Hanford officials have been able to look at video shot looking into the hole and could mostly see the soil that had fallen into it. The tunnel was covered with eight feet of soil.

The hole is over the portion of the oldest tunnel near where it joins to a second tunnel. The second tunnel was built nearly parallel to the first tunnel after the initial tunnel started to fill with radioactive debris.

No cause for the collapse has been determined.

The Hanford area periodically gets swarms of shallow earthquakes — including 300 small quakes with magnitude 2.9 or lower in early 2009 — but no earthquake activity has been detected in recent days, according to DOE.

A formal investigation had not been launched Wednesday morning as the focus remained on stabilizing the breach.

Work to fill the tunnel breach was expected to continue at least through Wednesday. About 50 truckloads of sand and soil are expected to be needed.

Most on site work at the nuclear reservation was canceled Wednesday, including swing shift for most workers north of the Wye Barricade Wednesday night.

Workers north of the Wye Barricade, a security checkpoint at the site, were told not to report to work Wednesday morning if they were not essential to safety or security.

The work cancellation included the Wednesday night shift at the Hanford vitrification plant construction site.

Workers in town and at the 300 Area of Hanford just north of Richland were to report to work as usual.

The Federal Aviation Administration closed air space above central Hanford on Tuesday and has extended the closure until 5 p.m. Thursday.

Read more here: Emergency work starts to fill hole in Hanford radioactive waste tunnel

LOL!

DERP!

The first scoops of clean sand and soil were dropped about 9 a.m. Wednesday into the collapsed portion of a Hanford nuclear reservation tunnel holding highly radioactive waste.

A Hanford crew had worked through Tuesday night laying down gravel for a pad to allow heavy equipment to begin filling the section of a waste disposal tunnel that collapsed.

Washington Gov. Jay Inslee announced at noon Wednesday that the state’s Department of Ecology was preparing an enforcement action against DOE that he expected to be issued on Thursday.

The state, a Hanford regulator, will require that certain steps be taken to protect workers and the public.

A 20-by-20-foot hole was discovered Tuesday morning over the top of the oldest of the PUREX processing plant tunnels at the Hanford nuclear reservation in Eastern Washington state near Richland.

DOE confirmed Tuesday that the hole had breached the tunnel, potentially exposing the waste to the air.

No detection of airborne radiation had been reported by the Department of Energy as of Wednesday morning.

The Washington state Departments of Ecology and Health also are monitoring the air, Inslee said.

“It appears the situation is largely stabilized,” the governor said. “But I am extremely concerned about what happened yesterday and how the Department of Energy can give us confidence that this will not happen again.”

The state’s enforcement will require DOE to determine the cause of the breach and assess if there is an immediate risk of additional failures at the PUREX tunnels, he said.

It will require actions for safe storage of waste in the tunnels until a decision is made on how to permanently dispose of the waste. DOE also likely will have to submit information related to the dangerous waste permit issued by the state to say how it plans to clean up the tunnels.

“If you have collapsing tunnels that could expose workers, this is a very dramatic concern that we have.” Inslee said.

The state enforcement action can help emphasize the need for adequate federal funding for Hanford, as proposals are made to cut the federal budget, he said.

Environmental cleanup work in central Hanford, including at the PUREX plant, has been delayed because of lack of money.

Although the nuclear reservation receives more than $2 billion annually, the focus in recent years has been on cleanup of contamination closest to the Columbia River and on 56 million gallons of liquid and sludge radioactive and hazardous chemical waste held in aging underground tanks.

The breach continued to receive national attention Wednesday.

“Dedicated experts on the ground are looking closely at what next steps should be taken with respect to mitigating future tunnel breaches,” said White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

The House Energy and Commerce Committee has requested a briefing on the situation, said committee Chairman Greg Walden, R-Ore. The committee needs to understand the circumstances that contributed to the tunnel cave-in and concerns related to operations at Hanford, he said.

Energy Secretary Rick Perry is receiving regular updates, according to his staff.

At Hanford Wednesday, an excavator was being used to reach an arm with a scoop up over the berm formed by the tunnel to reach the hole.

The breach is being filled with a mixture of mostly sand and some soil to stabilize the site. Sand was picked for its density, according to the Department of Energy.

The excavator operator and some nearby workers were wearing protective clothing and air purifying respirators.

Employees planned to work slowly and methodically, according to DOE.

Filling the tunnel break is planned to prevent any radioactive material escaping into the air.

Once the collapsed area of the tunnel is filled, Hanford officials will determine what additional actions need to be taken, according to DOE.

No radioactive “shine” had been measured from the breach, according to DOE. Monitoring showed radiation at normal background levels.

The soil falling into the hole at the top of the tunnel would have helped contain any radiation or release of any radioactive material into the air, according to DOE.

Hanford officials have been able to look at video shot looking into the hole and could mostly see the soil that had fallen into it. The tunnel was covered with eight feet of soil.

The hole is over the portion of the oldest tunnel near where it joins to a second tunnel. The second tunnel was built nearly parallel to the first tunnel after the initial tunnel started to fill with radioactive debris.

No cause for the collapse has been determined.

The Hanford area periodically gets swarms of shallow earthquakes — including 300 small quakes with magnitude 2.9 or lower in early 2009 — but no earthquake activity has been detected in recent days, according to DOE.

A formal investigation had not been launched Wednesday morning as the focus remained on stabilizing the breach.

Work to fill the tunnel breach was expected to continue at least through Wednesday. About 50 truckloads of sand and soil are expected to be needed.

Most on site work at the nuclear reservation was canceled Wednesday, including swing shift for most workers north of the Wye Barricade Wednesday night.

Workers north of the Wye Barricade, a security checkpoint at the site, were told not to report to work Wednesday morning if they were not essential to safety or security.

The work cancellation included the Wednesday night shift at the Hanford vitrification plant construction site.

Workers in town and at the 300 Area of Hanford just north of Richland were to report to work as usual.

The Federal Aviation Administration closed air space above central Hanford on Tuesday and has extended the closure until 5 p.m. Thursday.

Read more here: Emergency work starts to fill hole in Hanford radioactive waste tunnel

Thanks. Glad that all the ignorant panic was unnecessary.

As all of you nuclear "the Sky Is Falling" fanatics know. Petulant former President Barack Hussein Obama HALTED CONSTRUCTION of the new modern nuclear storage facility at Yucca Mountain. BILLIONS had already been spent and now it has sat motionless for seven years.

NATIONAL
JULY 27, 2010 6:57 PM
Obama halt to Yucca Mountain nuclear waste site slammed
James Rosen - McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — Congress was warned Tuesday that the failure to build the planned Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository in Nevada could delay licensing of the country's first new nuclear power plants in a generation.

"Without a solution to the storage of spent nuclear fuel — meaning a permanent repository — state regulators may be hesitant to approve the construction of new nuclear units," David Wright, the head of the Nuclear Waste Strategy Coalition, a group of regulators, attorneys general and electric utilities from 32 states, told the House Budget Committee. "And utilities may be hesitant to construct new nuclear units even if the (federal) Nuclear Regulatory Commission approves the license."

Obama halt to Yucca Mountain nuclear waste site slammed

Another massive failure of petulant former President Barack Hussein Obama.

Needs test fusion reactor in space but Obama killed our shuttle and we'd rather not share our tests with the Russians during "car" pool heh
Silly. We would need greater lift capacity than the combined total of every rocket ever built.

eh most of the weight is to protect folks around the reactor - not as necessary when you can put it, say, around Mars.

Reactor_Vessel_head.jpg
nuclear-fusion-lockheed-mar.jpg

Bigger issue is powering it for that initial start; needs a whole lotta batteries heh

No radiation to worry about with fusion reaction. Radiation from a fusion bomb comes from the fission bomb used as a trigger. Lasers or large capacitive discharge is how heat is generated to start the fusion reaction in a controlled fu s ion reaction. The reaction itself is contained magnetically.
You post with no knowledge or understanding of what you are posting about. You seem to be fear mongering.

Forum List

Back