MTV Douchebags Claim Their Video Rotation Featured Crappy Music Because of Lack of Videos

Snouter

Can You Smell Me
Aug 3, 2013
There other day there was some mini-documentary featuring the original clueless nerds who hosted MTV back when it started. With the advent of You Tube we know there were tons of music videos available to MTV to present. But since PAYOLA was still the name of the game, business connections is what dictated the content of their video rotation. This was back in the 80's when they actually presented music videos.

There other day there was some mini-documentary featuring the original clueless nerds who hosted MTV back when it started. With the advent of You Tube we know there were tons of music videos available to MTV to present. But since PAYOLA was still the name of the game, business connections is what dictated the content of their video rotation. This was back in the 80's when they actually presented music videos.

Right. Not many are aware of this, but what actually happened was record labels got fed up with supplying MTV with free content that MTV could monetize beyond anyone's wildest dreams of avarice, while the record labels only saw income from physical sales. The labels no longer viewed MTV as "free exposure" for artists as acceptable or fair. Back then, MTV was the only place people could even see music videos (for the most part) and it was the #1 way people discovered new music other than radio. The viewership was insane. So, the labels started demanding MTV pay them a flat fee for videos. But MTV got sick of paying the labels for music videos, and started broadcasting less and less of them, and instead realized that they could retain a decent percentage of viewership by creating their own reality shows, game shows, etc.

The past 15-20 years music in general has been one huge decline....

It's not a coincidence that music started declining at about exactly the same time physical sales started falling off a cliff -- which was 1999. The music industry today has been taken over by greedy fucks in Silicon Valley who figured out a way to build their own business off the backs of artists without selling anything tangible.

WTF. "Roatan" is an island off the coast of Honduras. I'll be there tomorrow(Manana en la manana).
Enjoy your demise.

music never declines, its simply tastes change from generation to generation..

and sometimes, if youre open minded ~ you even begin to appreciate the generations before yours.

The following is part of a Music City News magazine write up that was done on my late beautiful precious Billy Joe Royal in 1992.

Royal is probably the only artist who has videos on MTV and CMT.

If there really is access to any of his videos, I have two words for those in charge of the network: Play them. :) :) :)

God bless you and the network people and Billy Joe's family always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back