Movies You Loved That Critics Hated?

ScorpioRising007

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2015
What are some Movies that you loved that got only fair reviews and were judged harshly by critics?

All The Kings Men - 2006
The remake of the film "All the kings Men" in 2006 based off the famous book; I always really loved this movie despite critics giving it harsh reviews. I actually thought this was one of Sean Penn's best acting performances, I disagree with many critics. I have rewatched this movie many times and I love it :)

Last edited:

I also thought "Gatsby" in 2013 was an excellent movie, despite critics not giving it the best reviews. I thought the acting was great. Leonardo Dicaprio did a great acting job as Gatsby I thought. I loved the set and the whole movie. It was the best remake in my opinion. So far this is my favorite Gatsby film based off of the book "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I have rewatched this a dozen times, love the film.

A Clockwork Orange
Roger Ebert gave it only 2 stars. Although I have loved watching Roger Ebert's reviews for years, sometimes I disagree with his movie reviews. I thought "A Clockwork Orange" was Stanley Kubrick's Masterpiece. One of my favorite movies of all time.

A Clockwork Orange
Roger Ebert gave it only 2 stars. Although I have loved watching Roger Ebert's reviews for years, sometimes I disagree with his movie reviews. I thought "A Clockwork Orange" was Stanley Kubrick's Masterpiece. One of my favorite movies of all time.

It was panned when it was released but over the decades, attitudes have changed. I`ve watched it several times and I`ll watch it again. The movie and the music are awesome. I`ll say the same thing about 2001, A Space Odyssey.

Napoleon Dynamite was a great movie and one of my favorites.
But I doubt the critics thought it was Oscar worthy. .. :laugh:
Because it’s not.

Funny movie and I enjoyed it, but objectively not Oscar worthy.

People have to learn that there’s a difference between “movies I happen to like” and “movies that are actually art”

I loved the movie Ace Ventura, Pet detective. Entertaining and funny as shit, but did not and should not have won an Oscar.

I’ve tried to sit through Citizen Kane at least three times and can never make it through. I get bored to tears. But it is still one of the most important movies in history. It *is* better than Ace Ventura, regardless of which I enjoy more.

Last edited:
I have never bothered to read the reviews of movie critics.

If a movie trailer and synopsis interested me I went to see it.

Hudson hawk and last action hero come to mind that not many liked. But they entertained me and made me laugh.

I actually always liked the film "Caligula". Roger Ebert says it was one of the worst films he ever watched.

It is a very shocking and obscene film. It is a mix of nudity/sex with violent blood shed and peoples heads getting chopped off. I guess the mix of nudity with blood/gore and very violent beheadings made the film so unique, I never really saw anything like it before... that's what made me like it. How different it was from anything I saw. Most people would probably hate this film with disgust... but I actually always seemed to really enjoy it. The mix of blood and gore with nudity I enjoyed. I enjoy very dark films.

Another film Ebert gave only 2 stars that I really loved a lot. A 2022 remake of Agatha Christie's "Death on the Nile". I loved reading all of Agatha Christie's book's. I really feel this film is very underrated, I loved it.

I have never bothered to read the reviews of movie critics.

If a movie trailer and synopsis interested me I went to see it.
This goes for me too. Usually what gets me interested in a film are the actors/actresses who are in it. It has never mattered to me what the critics think.

God bless you and my favorites on the movie screen always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back