Motor Oil in my power steering: Me=Idiot

rtwngAvngr

Jan 5, 2004
I put about 10 oz of motor oil into my power steering system by accident. How bad is this and I do I need to flush the whole thing out?

• Banned
Should I drive it at all, like just a block or so to the station?

It won't be hard to fix; have you started the car yet? If not, the oil hasn't gone thru the system.

Remove the lower-hose-clap on the hose going into the bottom of the unit. Let everything drain. Pour clean Tranny or PS fluid thru the unit until things run clear (well, red...but until you don't see any more oil).

Re-attach the hose and you'll be set.

All that can really happen is your steering may not function smoothly. It's a self-contained hydrolic system - your car won't break down. You 'might' break a hose maybe? Be warned, PS Fluid is MORE flamable than just about anything i know of, under the hood.

• Banned
WOw. I wonder if i can do that. Im girly about cars. I shouldn't use water, should I.

dmp said:
It won't be hard to fix; have you started the car yet? If not, the oil hasn't gone thru the system.

Remove the lower-hose-clap on the hose going into the bottom of the unit. Let everything drain. Pour clean Tranny or PS fluid thru the unit until things run clear (well, red...but until you don't see any more oil).

Re-attach the hose and you'll be set.

All that can really happen is your steering may not function smoothly. It's a self-contained hydrolic system - your car won't break down. You 'might' break a hose maybe? Be warned, PS Fluid is MORE flamable than just about anything i know of, under the hood.

what he said !! ^

Hey!

Have a turkey baster? Suck the stuff out from the top, deposit into a can. Throw away.

Add new PS fluid.

:D

Drive it till it breaks. Don't drive the car w/ an empty PS pump though, if the belt is attached. Get somebody to run you to the store for new fluid.

dmp said:
Hey!

Have a turkey baster? Suck the stuff out from the top, deposit into a can. Throw away.

Add new PS fluid.

:D

Drive it till it breaks. Don't drive the car w/ an empty PS pump though, if the belt is attached. Get somebody to run you to the store for new fluid.

Yes. Yes. Yes. I like this the best.

I used the turkey baster method described above. All seems well. Thanks, DMP.

Mr. P said:
Yeah, an on top of the engine too, unlike the power steering res. I can't believe you did that.:funnyface

I'd drain it after a few short trips and refill. Can't hurt.

I know. Pretty stupid. It was dark. I was tired.... :duh3:

Forum List

Back