Most Mexicans Wouldn't Vote for a Cuban American

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Mexican%2Bphrase.jpg

But they have the same surnames don't they? How can this be?

In two days of interviews, not a single Mexican said he or she supported Rubio or Cruz, and even some Cubans said they don’t plan to support either Cuban American candidate. “No way” will Mexicans rally around presidential candidates just because they are Cuban, he said.

“Like oil and water” is how Alejandro Carrillo, a Mexican salesman, describes Mexicans and Cubans.

(I can personally verify the dislike between Mexicans and Cubans who speak Spanish “with frijoles in their mouths.”)

Brief story @ “Many Mexicans said they would vote for a NON-Latino OVER a Cuban-American” (Blabber-Mouth Washington Post spills the beans!) | BabalĂș Blog

Mexican%2Bphrase.jpg

In two days of interviews, not a single Mexican said he or she supported Rubio or Cruz, and even some Cubans said they don’t plan to support either Cuban American candidate. “No way” will Mexicans rally around presidential candidates just because they are Cuban, he said.

“Like oil and water” is how Alejandro Carrillo, a Mexican salesman, describes Mexicans and Cubans.

(I can personally verify the dislike between Mexicans and Cubans who speak Spanish “with frijoles in their mouths.”)

Brief story @ “Many Mexicans said they would vote for a NON-Latino OVER a Cuban-American” (Blabber-Mouth Washington Post spills the beans!) | BabalĂș Blog

Here is the actual article that your blog refers to
‘He’s Cuban. I’m Mexican.’: Can Rubio and Cruz connect with Latino voters?

No surprise really to anyone who has paid attention- the Washington Post article actually captures exactly what I have heard in the past.

It also is reflected by the parties- Cubans in a large part vote GOP, Mexicans and other Americans from Latin America in large part vote Democratic.

Part of the friction between Mexicans and Cubans comes from the starkly different reception they get when they arrive in the United States. Cubans who reach U.S. shores are almost automatically granted residency and eligibility for food stamps and other welfare benefits because of a special policy for those coming from the communist island — many arriving through Mexico. Mexicans who enter without legal papers live under the threat of deportation.

There are cultural distinctions, too. They speak with different accents, celebrate different customs and eat different foods. Mexico is soccer-obsessed, while Cuba loves baseball.

“Except for the fact that they both speak Spanish, everything else is totally different,” said Carlos Artiles, 50, a bartender at the Florida CafĂ© Cuban Bar & Grill, where the eggs come with stuffed potatoes and fried plaintains. Artiles, a Cuban, quickly became a citizen, but he sees firsthand how Mexicans, including his wife, try unsuccessfully for years and “pay thousands of dollars to attorneys to help. It’s completely unfair.”

Mexican%2Bphrase.jpg

No surprise really to anyone who has paid attention- the Washington Post article actually captures exactly what I have heard in the past.

It also is reflected by the parties- Cubans in a large part vote GOP, Mexicans and other Americans from Latin America in large part vote Democratic.

Part of the friction between Mexicans and Cubans comes from the starkly different reception they get when they arrive in the United States. Cubans who reach U.S. shores are almost automatically granted residency and eligibility for food stamps and other welfare benefits because of a special policy for those coming from the communist island — many arriving through Mexico. Mexicans who enter without legal papers live under the threat of deportation.

There are cultural distinctions, too. They speak with different accents, celebrate different customs and eat different foods. Mexico is soccer-obsessed, while Cuba loves baseball.

“Except for the fact that they both speak Spanish, everything else is totally different,” said Carlos Artiles, 50, a bartender at the Florida CafĂ© Cuban Bar & Grill, where the eggs come with stuffed potatoes and fried plaintains. Artiles, a Cuban, quickly became a citizen, but he sees firsthand how Mexicans, including his wife, try unsuccessfully for years and “pay thousands of dollars to attorneys to help. It’s completely unfair.”

I didn't past the whole article because our Administrator asked us not to.

Mexican%2Bphrase.jpg

I didn't past the whole article because our Administrator asked us not to.

Oh I understand- I meant the link to the actual article, rather than the link to a blog.

Forum List

Back