Most influential Italian women in the XX century

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
If you’re unfamiliar with the tale of Rome’s beginnings, it’s a powerful story with an underlying matriarchal theme.
The legend is that Rhea Silva, a Vestal Virgin birthed twin sons named Romulus and Remus, and was soon forced to abandon them due to threats against their lives. Intercepted from the Tiber river by the god Tiberius, the twins were saved as they nursed from the she-wolf Lupercal. Some 3,000 years later, and Italian society is still suckling from the teet of women’s accomplishments.

Influential women have riddled Italian history, yet rarely make it past the textbook page into public discourse.
Hortensia
, the first female lawyer who lived in 42 B.C. argued that women should not have to pay for a war they wanted nothing to do with.

Trotula de Ruggiero, the first female gynecologist argued against God’s will for pain during childbirth and presented the idea of opium to ease said pain.

Artemisia Gentileschi, who lived in the 17th century, was the first recognized female painter.
I've heard of Franca Sozzani. In fact, I just watched a show about her on the Netflix not too long ago.

The list missed Maria Gaetana Agnesi. She was truly on the vanguard of the woman’s movement and what was to come.

Maria Gaetana Agnesi, was an Italian mathematician, philosopher, theologian, and humanitarian. She was the first woman to write a mathematics handbook and the first woman appointed as a mathematics professor at a university. She is credited with writing the first book discussing both differential and integral calculus and was a member of the faculty at the University of Bologna.

Helena, mother of Constantine , was a tremendously successful Italian broad in the 4th Century. Was the mother of archaeology , discovering a number of valuable sacred artifacts including the true cross which Jesus Christ was crucified on back in the day.

Helena, mother of Constantine , was a tremendously successful Italian broad in the 4th Century. Was the mother of archaeology , discovering a number of valuable sacred artifacts including the true cross which Jesus Christ was crucified on back in the day.
She did that right after Constantine murdered his wife and kid. She was interesting. That's a fact. I don't believe that she actually found the items. I think she BS'd her way through that.

She did that right after Constantine murdered his wife and kid. She was interesting. That's a fact. I don't believe that she actually found the items. I think she BS'd her way through that.

I can't vouch for Helena, needless to say.

However, her story on how she found the True Cross has a lot of details, names, witnesses, places,etc. And it convinced a lot of people for a lot of generations. The tremendous city of Vera Cruz is named after the event.

Sure, Helena could have bs'ed her way through it, but it would be a tremendous level of BS to get as much cred as she has over the centuries.

I can't vouch for Helena, needless to say.

However, her story on how she found the True Cross has a lot of details, names, witnesses, places,etc. And it convinced a lot of people for a lot of generations. The tremendous city of Vera Cruz is named after the event.

Sure, Helena could have bs'ed her way through it, but it would be a tremendous level of BS to get as much cred as she has over the centuries.

I think she was a distraction. Oooh, nice shiny object over here.....pay no attention to that crazy man that did some things.

My mother-in-law - may she rest in peace - has to be on the list. She could "influence" anyone to do anything.

If you’re unfamiliar with the tale of Rome’s beginnings, it’s a powerful story with an underlying matriarchal theme.
The legend is that Rhea Silva, a Vestal Virgin birthed twin sons named Romulus and Remus, and was soon forced to abandon them due to threats against their lives. Intercepted from the Tiber river by the god Tiberius, the twins were saved as they nursed from the she-wolf Lupercal. Some 3,000 years later, and Italian society is still suckling from the teet of women’s accomplishments.

Influential women have riddled Italian history, yet rarely make it past the textbook page into public discourse.
Hortensia
, the first female lawyer who lived in 42 B.C. argued that women should not have to pay for a war they wanted nothing to do with.

Trotula de Ruggiero, the first female gynecologist argued against God’s will for pain during childbirth and presented the idea of opium to ease said pain.

Artemisia Gentileschi, who lived in the 17th century, was the first recognized female painter.
I've heard of Franca Sozzani. In fact, I just watched a show about her on the Netflix not too long ago.

Don't be trying to culturally appropriate black history month. Italian women's Day is March 8.

You're entitled to your opinion but do you have anything to back it up?

Hortensia

Don't be trying to culturally appropriate black history month. Italian women's Day is March 8.
I'm a WOP everyday.

You're entitled to your opinion but do you have anything to back it up?
Which is the part that you have trouble with?

Forum List

Back