CDZ More re: Behaviors - What percentage of people on USMB...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
As we know, an internet message board provides both anonymity and, as a result, an opportunity to be more aggressive and anti-social for those who are not like that in "real life".

What percentage of people here, in your opinion, act like this in real life?

Given the general decay in public behaviors over the last several years, I suspect that the percentage has increased. I'd say that around 30% to 40% of the behaviors we see here by our more aggressive posters are also seen in real life.

One significant caveat: I don't think those who are overtly racist against minorities say these things in public. I'd put that down at about 3% to 5%, for obvious reasons.

Your estimate, hopefully without insults, deflection or name-calling - as comically ironic as that would be?

Honestly, I think it's quite the opposite. I think most people say in person a lot of the same stuff they say here, even the racist stuff. It just when you say it, outside of a work environment, it's to people you know and they just shrug it off and say, "Well, that's just Charlie."

But when they see it in printed form that someone has bothered to type out words that can be read over and over... um, yeah, then it has a little more power.

As we know, an internet message board provides both anonymity and, as a result, an opportunity to be more aggressive and anti-social for those who are not like that in "real life".

Of the people that I know IRL? 0%

Of the people who post here? 99%

What about in the culture in general, not just people you know personally?

Again, back to my point. I have a Brother, Trump supporter, who used to post his opinions on facebook, and frankly, what he posted on facebook was tame compared to what he says IRL, because there are certain words you use there that will probably get you banned.

A few other people I know on facebook are the same way IRL, some of whom I've known for 40 years. One kid I remember absolutely freaked out when Harold Washington became mayor of Chicago in 83, and he had exactly the same reaction when Obama became president. He just doesn't use the word we can't use here on USMB or Facebook in his postings.

I think the only difference is that an argument can continue over days on USMB or Facebook, while IRL, one side just walks away after a few minutes.

I don't know. It would be an interesting psychological study.

I think people act online because of anonymity like they do in the privacy of their cars. They curse and swear at people whom they think are driving poorly in ways they would not do so in a public setting.

But this place attracts a certain type of people that probably isn't representative of the population at large.

I don't know. It would be an interesting psychological study.

I think people act online because of anonymity like they do in the privacy of their cars. They curse and swear at people whom they think are driving poorly in ways they would not do so in a public setting.

But this place attracts a certain type of people that probably isn't representative of the population at large.
Yeah. Combining partisan politics and internet anonymity can create a pretty funny toxicity.

Again, back to my point. I have a Brother, Trump supporter, who used to post his opinions on facebook, and frankly, what he posted on facebook was tame compared to what he says IRL, because there are certain words you use there that will probably get you banned.

A few other people I know on facebook are the same way IRL, some of whom I've known for 40 years. One kid I remember absolutely freaked out when Harold Washington became mayor of Chicago in 83, and he had exactly the same reaction when Obama became president. He just doesn't use the word we can't use here on USMB or Facebook in his postings.

I think the only difference is that an argument can continue over days on USMB or Facebook, while IRL, one side just walks away after a few minutes.

I heard an interview by a guy who used to work for Google and wrote a book about his time at the company. He devoted a section on individual behavior based on their Google searches. The interviewer asked him what behaviors people exhibited online anonymously that they tended not to exhibit in public. He said there were two things. First, people were much more likely to discuss medical issues, particularly terminal or debilitating diseases. Second, people were much more racist than they were IRL.

I heard an interview by a guy who used to work for Google and wrote a book about his time at the company. He devoted a section on individual behavior based on their Google searches. The interviewer asked him what behaviors people exhibited online anonymously that they tended not to exhibit in public. He said there were two things. First, people were much more likely to discuss medical issues, particularly terminal or debilitating diseases. Second, people were much more racist than they were IRL.
The psychology of political partisanship is fascinating on its own, but here it's like an intensified one stop shop.

Thanks for that, I'll look it up.

I'm not sure if Google searches indicate anything. You are just looking for phrases. Just because someone looked up a racist phrase doesn't mean they are racist....

I do think that a lot of us bite our tongues in certain settings IRL, such as work. The guy who is openly racist isn't going to say that at work if they don't want to have a discussion with Human Resources that ends with a banker box.

All that said, as the old expression goes, "A Fish Rots from the Head". When you have a president saying openly racist things, every day, and the rest of the society is discussing it, it does have a "Trickle down' effect.

I'd say, the most prevalent (mis-) behavior at an estimated 90% both here and in real life is, "Looking down on as many others as possible." Or, conversely, self-elevation at the expense of others.

How we express that usually depends on how much fear of retribution there is, whether the expression happens in a homogeneous in-group, whether there's alcohol involved, etc.

In my view, that behavior, and how aggressively it's expressed in real life, experienced a marked uptick during the last three years, as Trump provided a spectacular, compelling example of how much one can get away with. The most puzzling thing about this is that independents, and even liberals, recognized the clue, and felt increasingly entitled to cut their demons loose.

I think the percentage of people who exhibit their USMB "cyber behavior" in real life is very small, maybe less than 3%. How many times have you been in a public setting where you overhear a discussion with F bombs being lobbed? Of all the passing conversions I've overheard in the last few years, I can't remember one like that. Political discourse has become so volatile, people rarely engage in it unless they know they are among their peeps.

Your estimate, hopefully without insults, deflection or name-calling - as comically ironic as that would be?

I'm a tad biased , existing in construction w/God's special children.....i mean, if we find something that irks you, we'll ride you all day to see if we can send you home cryin'....

Seems the entire American gestalt is more triggered these days, than back in the 60's.....

True , i guess there's no accounting for online adhd.....

OC sorts?

The psychology of political partisanship is fascinating on its own, but here it's like an intensified one stop shop.
But not exclusive to the USMB .....

All that said, as the old expression goes, "A Fish Rots from the Head". When you have a president saying openly racist things, every day, and the rest of the society is discussing it, it does have a "Trickle down' effect.
Hate , Fear ,Angst ,....
They powers that be know it's the easiest way to own any populace , historically quite effective , and evident daily on the 'net

How we express that usually depends on how much fear of retribution there is, whether the expression happens in a homogeneous in-group, whether there's alcohol involved, etc.
Gawd yes....when i ran EMS we were down the redneck bar every sat night, cops took the winner in cuffs, we took the looser on a gurney.....nothing quite like etoh & politics.....

How many times have you been in a public setting where you overhear a discussion with F bombs being lobbed?

Every day on the job .....in fact there';s one carpenter we call 'Fuckin' Dave' , because he can not utter one sentece w/out using the F bomb.....

~S~

Given the general decay in public behaviors over the last several years, I suspect that the percentage has increased. I'd say that around 30% to 40% of the behaviors we see here by our more aggressive posters are also seen in real life.

One significant caveat: I don't think those who are overtly racist against minorities say these things in public. I'd put that down at about 3% to 5%, for obvious reasons.

People tend to show their true feelings more when they are doing it from a keyboard.
I don't think every black person mouths off about how racist they think everyone around them is, but many of them are thinking that.
Once they discover that I don't hate them because they're black, they open up about it. Almost all of them feel that way, and it doesn't help that we had a president in office for 8 years that told us that it was okay to tell everyone they're racists.

It is rare that people will open up and tell you their true feelings. If you could read minds there's a good possibility that you will discover things about the way your friends think about you that you wouldn't like.

The Elephant in the room is the simple fact that leftists aren't hiding their true feelings anymore. So of course there is alot more hate and discontent floating around on this site. Globalists have control of all forms of media, and they literally support bad-actors. They want us at each other's throats. They want to tear down our society. Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer have no intention on doing their jobs. They only want to create turmoil and chaos and this is what the left wants in our government.

I'm a tad biased , existing in construction w/God's special children.....i mean, if we find something that irks you, we'll ride you all day to see if we can send you home cryin'....

Seems the entire American gestalt is more triggered these days, than back in the 60's.....

True , i guess there's no accounting for online adhd.....

OC sorts?

But not exclusive to the USMB .....

Hate , Fear ,Angst ,....
They powers that be know it's the easiest way to own any populace , historically quite effective , and evident daily on the 'net

Gawd yes....when i ran EMS we were down the redneck bar every sat night, cops took the winner in cuffs, we took the looser on a gurney.....nothing quite like etoh & politics.....

How many times have you been in a public setting where you overhear a discussion with F bombs being lobbed?

Every day on the job .....in fact there';s one carpenter we call 'Fuckin' Dave' , because he can not utter one sentece w/out using the F bomb.....

~S~
The question Mac posed is "What percentage of people...?" F*n Dave is just one guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back