More ratings of shows that had lower ratings than "Last Man Standing" and were kept on the air...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Yeah...they got rid of Tim Allen's show because he said that the atmospere in Hollywood reminded him of 1930s Germany, and he supports President Trump.....

How do we know this is the reason....we have a breakdown of shows they kept...that don't even have half the ratings on better nights than Friday night...

Tim Allen's Hit Gets Canceled

The show didn't have a ratings problem -- it averaged 6.4 million viewers this season, and that should be graded upward on a curve, since the show aired on Friday and the overall Friday audience is typically smaller than other weeknights.

Dungey said the job of a programming executive was "managing failure," but this wasn't a failure. "It was a steady performer," she admitted. However, she added, "Once we made the decision not to continue with comedy on Friday, it was just kind of that's where we landed."

Instead, they're moving in the drama "Once Upon a Time," which averaged 3.2 million viewers this year, or half of Allen's number.

In the second hour, ABC is eventually placing its show "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.," which this season averaged 2.3 million viewers.

What about Saturday to Thursday? Apparently, there wasn't a slot on ABC prime time for Allen's show.

What constitutes a success at ABC? Dungey declared herself "optimistic and excited" about a third season of "Quantico," which, according to creator Joshua Safran, is opposed to "Trumpian instincts."

The series just concluded with a plot that the Trump-like president wanted to merge the FBI and CIA into one giant agency and was exposed as a tool of the Russians. And the ratings?

This cartoonish liberal claptrap averaged 2.7 million viewers this season, just over a third of Allen's total. It was renewed.

Possibly, it will make it to another channel, or Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc will pick it up.

I agree, too good to trash

crying-oklahoma-state-player-sports-crying-gifs.gif

I know this, no network ever cancels a show when it has high ratings, it's the bread and butter for a network, the basis for which they can charge exorbitant amounts of money for commercials. It takes a serious scandal to do so, and it would be done asap.

Consider the steep slide of Charlie Sheen, he was more controversial and constantly in the news, spewing incoherently interviews. They didn't cancel the show and took some time to get rid of their main character. They knew they could still realize quite a tidy profit for a couple more years with Kutcher on the show. It's about the almighty dollar and only a fool does otherwise.

Why on earth would anyone cancel a cash cow? Sadly, this is politics until someone can reasonable convince me otherwise. I heard only Modern Family had more viewers, 8.7M to 8.1M. I would love to hear of an example in history when a show this popular was unceremoniously cancelled when no scandal or labour strife is present.

I know this, no network ever cancels a show when it has high ratings, it's the bread and butter for a network, the basis for which they can charge exorbitant amounts of money for commercials. It takes a serious scandal to do so, and it would be done asap.

Consider the steep slide of Charlie Sheen, he was more controversial and constantly in the news, spewing incoherently interviews. They didn't cancel the show and took some time to get rid of their main character. They knew they could still realize quite a tidy profit for a couple more years with Kutcher on the show. It's about the almighty dollar and only a fool does otherwise.

Why on earth would anyone cancel a cash cow? Sadly, this is politics until someone can reasonable convince me otherwise. I heard only Modern Family had more viewers, 8.7M to 8.1M. I would love to hear of an example in history when a show this popular was unceremoniously cancelled when no scandal or labour strife is present.

The nine highest-rated canceled shows

There. Now stop crying like a little bitch.

I read an article about this cancellation which said that the network had considered cancelling the show almost every year, because of costs. I guess the network had to pay a portion of the licensing costs and they weren't happy about it.

However, this time there were supposedly no contract discussions at all, just cancellation.

Tim Allen Comedy ‘Last Man Standing’ Canceled By ABC After 6 Seasons

And all of those had half the ratings or fewer than this show.

Every single one of them averaged millions more in ratings. Now stop crying like a little bitch.

Not always so.
CBS canceled the top show on Friday night, The Wild, Wild West, back in 1969 because of LBJ's initiative to reduce violence on TV.

Every single one of them averaged millions more in ratings. Now stop crying like a little bitch.

My bad. I read the numbers wrong.
I don't cry. I assess.

You got 6 seasons of that show. Most get cancelled after one, and dozens of other shows were cancelled along with it.
I don't disagree. What gets to me is that if it had to go now, the least that could have been done was give the show the send off that it deserves since it went for as long as it lasted. In my opinion, there was absolutely nothing special about what ended up being the final episode if it really does end up being the final episode.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. For those of you who are fans of this show, go here to sign the petition that is out there to keep the show going.

The Beverly Hillbillies were canceled while being a top rated show.
The Beverly Hillbillies - Wikipedia

The Beverly Hillbillies were canceled while being a top rated show.
The Beverly Hillbillies - Wikipedia
as were other of that genre of the time.

The standing joke was, they cancelled anything with a tree.
Green Acres
Petticoat Junction

I liked Green Acres. I still catch reruns of it a couple times a month. Well written, great characters, and still wears well over time.

The bottom line is money and selling ad time on the show. That being said, why not tap a different type of advertiser for that show only? Is there a rule that you can't have different ads on different shows? Does Cheerios have to be a commercial on every show? It shows why viewership is on the wane; the network (ABC in this case) has a business model that apparently isn't working if it is cancelling one of the shows in it's portfolio with higher ratings than others. Profit should be the only thing that matters to a corporation outside of unacceptable baggage to which Last Man Standing didn't apparently have any. True, Tim Allen was in prison for a while but that didn't seem to matter when he was on the network earlier on Home Improvement. So either it meant that the ad execs at ABC were not able to find a market for the show (which the ratings again betray) or they didn't want to/couldn't figure out how to sell to who was watching. That is what is called not doing your job.

That being said, I've watched several episodes of the show. It always seems to be on when I'm watching TV so I stop and give it a look. Mike Baxter (Tim Allen's character) seemed like a real a-hole and his wife played by Nancy Travis seemed to be waifish in his presence. Bad messages to send out into the universe. But hey, people watched it and that should be all that matters to ABC.

Forum List

Back