More leeway for states to expand inpatient mental health

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The Trump administration Tuesday allowed states to provide more inpatient treatment for people with serious mental illness by tapping Medicaid, a potentially far-reaching move to address issues from homelessness to violence.

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar made the announcement Tuesday in a speech to state Medicaid directors, a group that represents Republican and Democratic officials from around the country who are confronting common, deeply-rooted social problems.

A longstanding federal law has barred Medicaid from paying for mental health treatment in facilities with more than 16 beds, to prevent "warehousing" of the mentally ill at the expense of federal taxpayers. Azar said states will now be able to seek waivers from that restriction, provided they can satisfy certain specific requirements.

"We have the worst of both worlds: limited access to inpatient treatment and limited access to other options," said Azar, who stressed that inpatient care has to be combined with community-based services.

"Given the history, it is the responsibility of state and federal governments together, alongside communities and families, to right this wrong," Azar added. "More treatment options are needed, and that includes more inpatient and residential options that can help stabilize Americans with serious mental illness."

This is not going far enough but it is a baby-step in the right direction.

The Trump administration Tuesday allowed states to provide more inpatient treatment for people with serious mental illness by tapping Medicaid, a potentially far-reaching move to address issues from homelessness to violence.

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar made the announcement Tuesday in a speech to state Medicaid directors, a group that represents Republican and Democratic officials from around the country who are confronting common, deeply-rooted social problems.

A longstanding federal law has barred Medicaid from paying for mental health treatment in facilities with more than 16 beds, to prevent "warehousing" of the mentally ill at the expense of federal taxpayers. Azar said states will now be able to seek waivers from that restriction, provided they can satisfy certain specific requirements.

"We have the worst of both worlds: limited access to inpatient treatment and limited access to other options," said Azar, who stressed that inpatient care has to be combined with community-based services.

"Given the history, it is the responsibility of state and federal governments together, alongside communities and families, to right this wrong," Azar added. "More treatment options are needed, and that includes more inpatient and residential options that can help stabilize Americans with serious mental illness."

I never knew that about Medicaid payments before. No WONDER all but a couple of psychiatric hospitals in this state have closed. I am very glad to hear of this news. Like you said, it is a step in the right direction.

I never knew that about Medicaid payments before. No WONDER all but a couple of psychiatric hospitals in this state have closed. I am very glad to hear of this news. Like you said, it is a step in the right direction.

Psychiatric hospitals, death camps, gas chambers, and crematories do not belong in the United States.

Psychiatric hospitals, death camps, gas chambers, and crematories do not belong in the United States.

Psych hospitals do belong in the US.

No. Psychiatrists, psychologists, and other head shrinks need to be hanged as the Nazi war criminals they are. The Nazi hunters are here, and believe you me, it is hunting season.

No. Psychiatrists, psychologists, and other head shrinks need to be hanged as the Nazi war criminals they are. The Nazi hunters are here, and believe you me, it is hunting season.

Speak intelligently or fuck off. Really.

I do not become sexually excited by having people locked up in a mental hospital against their will, or deprived of their rights for the remainder of their lives on this Earth. My quest to avenge the innocent ones will not be stopped until the guilty have paid the ultimate price. They need to die for what they have done to their patients.

I do not become sexually excited by having people locked up in a mental hospital against their will, or deprived of their rights for the remainder of their lives on this Earth. My quest to avenge the innocent ones will not be stopped until the guilty have paid the ultimate price. They need to die for what they have done to their patients.

We're done. Go be a whack job elsewhere. Welcome to ignore.

We're done. Go be a whack job elsewhere. Welcome to ignore.
That's older than Bedlam in London, England. A whore complaining about a man, or someone she desires to identify as a man, "masturbating," somewhere she does not have access. Mental hospitals as well as the overeducated pimps who run them are part and parcel of the red-light district. Men who do not offer money for sex and women who do not offer sex for money are considered LGBT and therefore mentally ill under some some cocked-up "diagnosis," bp, sz, something like that. We really do need cruel and unusual punishments for physicians.

Forum List

Back