More American jobs going to China

gallantwarrior

Gold Member
Jul 25, 2011
On my own 200 acres of the Frozen North
Working in the aviation industry, I have long noted the huge difference between what comes into the US from China and what goes back overseas. Coming from China, the ships are stuffed to the gunwales with goods of all types. Outbound, many aircraft carry only dunnage. News like this only serves to highlight the fact that another industry that Americans once ruled is slipping away.

Chinese airlines lure US pilots tired of waiting to be captain

Working in the aviation industry, I have long noted the huge difference between what comes into the US from China and what goes back overseas. Coming from China, the ships are stuffed to the gunwales with goods of all types. Outbound, many aircraft carry only dunnage. News like this only serves to highlight the fact that another industry that Americans once ruled is slipping away.

That's the worst example of "American jobs being shipped overseas" I ever saw. This is an example of Chinese businesses giving Chinese jobs to Americans. This is the opposite of the point you are trying to make.

That's the worst example of "American jobs being shipped overseas" I ever saw. This is an example of Chinese businesses giving Chinese jobs to Americans. This is the opposite of the point you are trying to make.

Not really. Once, when American airlines ruled the skies, jobs for pilots, opportunities to move to that coveted left seat, were plentiful. The airlines used to go begging for qualified pilots. Now, we are seeing Chinese air carriers siphoning off pilots because their airlines are growing and they need the pilots. There aren't enough Chinese qualified Chinese pilots to fill the demand, right now (expect that to change). So, in essence, as our manufacturing base moves to China, our transportation industry is following.

Not really. Once, when American airlines ruled the skies, jobs for pilots, opportunities to move to that coveted left seat, were plentiful. The airlines used to go begging for qualified pilots. Now, we are seeing Chinese air carriers siphoning off pilots because their airlines are growing and they need the pilots. There aren't enough Chinese qualified Chinese pilots to fill the demand, right now (expect that to change). So, in essence, as our manufacturing base moves to China, our transportation industry is following.

So, when our manufacturing base moves to China the jobs that were being done by Americans are being done by Chinese.

Your example shows successful Chinese airlines hiring US pilots. I don't see the problem with that.

Furthermore, aviation is fundamentally different than manufacturing. The Chinese produce goods less expensively because they pay their people squat and the government intevenese with currency manipulation and protectionist policies to ensure that the Chinese people are always making things.

I'm not sure how well those strategies would work with international aviation shipping. We'll see how this works out for the Chinese. Who was it that said "if you want to become a millionaire then take a billion dollars and start an airline?"

Bottom-line, there will always be a trade imbalance with China because they don't want to buy our stuff. They never have. They never will. This goes way, way back.

So, when our manufacturing base moves to China the jobs that were being done by Americans are being done by Chinese.

Your example shows successful Chinese airlines hiring US pilots. I don't see the problem with that.

Furthermore, aviation is fundamentally different than manufacturing. The Chinese produce goods less expensively because they pay their people squat and the government intevenese with currency manipulation and protectionist policies to ensure that the Chinese people are always making things.

I'm not sure how well those strategies would work with international aviation shipping. We'll see how this works out for the Chinese. Who was it that said "if you want to become a millionaire then take a billion dollars and start an airline?"

Bottom-line, there will always be a trade imbalance with China because they don't want to buy our stuff. They never have. They never will. This goes way, way back.

A point of interest perhaps: I've asked several Chinese flight crews why they buy Chinese-made products here to take them back home. (They love shopping at the big warehouse stores like Costco.) They have told me that either the goods are less expensive here, or not even marketed in China.

People are going to go where there is the most opportunity. It used to be the United States, now it's China.

Readily available cheap overseas labor is the number one reason for our economic woes.

Reward employers that use American labor and penalize those that don't.

What types of rewards and penalties would you suggest? How about imposing import tariffs, they do it to our goods.

Every dime of which would be passed onto the consumer in the form of higher prices.

Here's a suggestion, let's eliminate all of the government regulations that impede business start-up and development in this country? Many of our problems are self-inflicted by allowing ever-increasing government over-regulation of just about every aspect of our commercial lives.

What types of rewards and penalties would you suggest? How about imposing import tariffs, they do it to our goods.

Every dime of which would be passed onto the consumer in the form of higher prices.

Here's a suggestion, let's eliminate all of the government regulations that impede business start-up and development in this country? Many of our problems are self-inflicted by allowing ever-increasing government over-regulation of just about every aspect of our commercial lives.

Ross Perot, love him or hate him, made particular note in the early 90's potus election of the lack of protectants resulting in that giant suckin' sound

so you see, the self infliction has been there all along.....

~S~

Wrong.

All the combined regulations in the USA don't amount to a hill of beans compared to the savings from labor costs that China near-slave-like workers give to manufacturers.

We better step up our profits from China because we owe them over one trillion bucks.

Forum List

Back