Mitt Romney Speech

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DiogenesDog, Dec 7, 2007.

1. DiogenesDog

DiogenesDog Zen Bonobo

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If Mitt were a Lutheran, he would be a walk over above the rest of that field. He is the least nauseous theist among those contenders. Still and all, he is a theist with an inner agenda that would tinge everything he touches. To leave any part of a Republican administration intact that has done the deeds of the past 7 years or so would be a major mistake for the voting public whether they are party stalwarts, independents or crafty swing voters.

John Kennedy to his credit, made common cause with the American religist of the waning Eisenhower years. His religious expression was quite orthodox for his day and had a long history of accommodation within the body of mainstream churches. It was the time of the John Roncalli Papacy which brought my mother the reforms of Vatican II. She was little changed or affected in her ways of piety, just as John Kennedy was. The Kennedy's were an American family of Irish descent. They were Irish Catholics. As such they were not submissive to the crown or the Church of England. They were outcast in the British Isles.

Mitt and his immediate ancestors were outcasts in their own country. They have a history of being a little strange. They are essentially a sect that has parallels with the development of Islam in that their patriarch had visions, received new scripture and condoned polygamist unions. Their way and abrasiveness had them driven out of many towns of the Eastern states and they continued to be driven until they arrived in the vicinity of the great inland Salt Lake and they establish their new Galilee.

Mitt could be the savior of the reformed Republic. I am put off by his high flown visions of the strength of the nation being in its ability to coerce the world by way of our big bombs and willingness to use them. All the while there is an internal erosion of justice and shared benefits of nationhood among the people in the United States and its feeder nations in non-US America. We are still driving off indigenous peoples from forests, mountains and basins in the Americas that contain vital substances that we (the US) wants, no DEMANDS. Mitt will continue to be part of that.

The Kennedy clan came to wealth and power despite, no in spite of their theism of choice. The result was that Joseph P. sent two sons to war. One was vaporized at the controls of a bomber and the other returned a hero of the Pacific. Mitt, sends his sons to the Mormon Mission field in relatively safe places.

The whole ruling elite of the US has become very much like the situation that prevailed among the pre-Columbian civilizations of the Americas. Those elites needed and need now, blood sacrifices of other peoples kids. They are the temple elite. They are the remnants of a powerful but weakening Temple/Tabernacle Culture.

Mitt made a good case and said the right things about the freedom of religion and the religion of freedom. Still, my senses that were developed in my military training and my meat hunting youth, are stimulating the follicles on the back of my neck. Politicians are the remnant of the hunter mentality. I remain wary. I will not be hunted. I will continue to hide in the brush and tree lines as my fellows are lured into the killing fields for their votes.

I love hyperbole. Especially if I may turn it on those with whom I must contend.

I AM

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    So this is no speech by Romney but YOU making a speech ABOUT him. How quaint.

3. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Actually, Romney didn't bring his religious views into play as governor of Massachusetts or he wouldn't have been elected there. It was only when he decided to move right to appeal to primary voters and abandoned his prior positions that it became an issue at all.

But it is kind of interesting that the godless "libs" in Massachusetts thought he was okay, but the religious right has issues with the fact he's a Mormon.

Says a lot about where the religious tolerance really is in this country, IMO.

4. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    How in the hell did a Mormon get elected governor of Massachussetts, anyway?

5. DiogenesDog

DiogenesDog Zen Bonobo

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have made a choice of dismissing all supernatural, personal visions, found scripture, and quirky idiosyncrasies of Temple Culture and cultic qualities of revealed theology.

What then do I believe? I believe that in opposition to the natural world where galaxies crash into each other, planets form and wear away by natural, processes, where the natural world is bloody in tooth and claw, that there arises a species of self aware bipedal beings that are able to have thoughts of morality that are based in doing no harm, taking in and caring for strangers, and caring for the ill and deceased in loving ways.

Complicated theologies and religious establishments have come and gone in history and will continue to rise and fall. Unless it can be seen that the teaching of the itinerate north Judean rebbi, Yeshua, was a message of simple moral behavior that began with "do no harm". In the first 300 years or so of the existence of the teaching in the reformed synagogues and new centers of worship in the northern Levant, Asia minor, Persia, and Arabia the message was simple. Live today like there is no tomorrow and do it day by day. Live in the moment and do no harm.

I have given a great deal of study to this. I have incidentally had contact with religists in those areas mentioned above. I was doing other work but I found those primitive "proto" Christians to be purer in intention, action and outcome that any crimsoned, mitered, or well tailored churchman of the Orthodox type.

The most innocent of reasons for crimson and mitres is to hold the attention of the prospects until they will accept the "do no harm" routine and become moral agents in that vein.

The more complicated versions arose from the needs of empire, Constantine, and the fine crudgel that pomp and ceremony and temple undies would be. Complicated constructs do not reveal truth. Dense myth and gold tablets of script do not reveal truth. Truth is revealed in the quiet receptive mind of the human expression, one mind at a time.

Religion has become an industrial process. It is operated in a factory of smoke and mirrors and a fine sound system.

There is more a sense of morality and expectation of good in a mountain gorilla sitting on the eastern slopes of a central African mountain waiting for the sunrise than I have recently witnessed in some super church that host multiples of services in its multiples of sanctuaries and chapels and prayer grottoes.

A sunrise over the salt Sea of Galilee will put a whole new start on your day.

Popular religion today is not a sanctuary. It is an entertainment venue working for numbers of butts in the pew and dollars in the coffers. All of which I stand and publicly rebuke.

Popular religion is a tool of politics and state - all of which I stand and rebuke.

Feed the hungry! Tend the sick! Wash and bury the dead? Do no harm! Resist those who resist all the above by withdrawing from their presence, their system and their dust that has settled on your feet. You may do this by physically removing yourself or you may resist by not participating in your behaviors or in your mind. All else is moonshine.

I AM

6. Nevadamedic

Nevadamedic Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Romney's a tool period.

7. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    Massachusetts is a liberal state, religious tolerance needs to be practiced not just preached.

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Romney was elected for his fiscal management skills. He didn't shove his religion down anyone's throat or attempt in any way to impose religious belief by way of legislation.

And the people of Mass could care less what someone is if they don't hurt anyone else.

But that's too "liberal" for you, I suppose.

9. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    1. Actually, my point was along the lines of the likes of YOU asking, "How in the hell did a fundamentalist Christian get elected mayor of NYC"? You'd surely ask that question if Jerry Falwell did that, no?

2. I chuckle at your speaking for the entire population of Massachussetts and explaining to me their political philosophy. Which probably isn't true. Assuming a population of 100 percent liberals, I'm sure they WOULD care "what someone is" in any number of ways. Liberals... always "tolerant," except for the things they don't tolerate. Which is a lot of stuff.

Probably, he got through as you suggest, by keeping his religious ID very quiet and stressing his management skills. I still just think that's funny. I mean, I suppose the media up there could have made something of it, but for whatever reason didn't. As religions go, Mormonism isn't exactly super-mainstream Christianity. It's got some weird ideas. I'm not bashing them here, just noting that. I actually don't think most Mormons buy completely the whole kit and kaboodle, and probably Mitt is one of those.

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Question: Does Romney's record as Gov of MA reflect a pulpit-driven agenda? Or is this merely an attempt to disparage him simply because he is in fact a religious person in his personal life?

Of the top 3 Dem candidates ... Hillary, Obama and Edwards ... which ones do not believe in a religion?