Missouri Police Taser Injured Boy Up to 19 Times

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Paulie, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,384
    STLtoday.com - STLtoday.com: News - Forums - Current Affairs - Topic - Missouri police taser injured boy 19 times

All I can say is WOW. Obviously more information would be nice, but for some reason this particular story is not being picked up by any MSM. This is the only article about this that's floating around, from what I could find.

2. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    On the face of it, very disturbing (and that's an under-statement).

I trust there will be an independent inquiry.

3. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,384
    I should have said, it's the only VERSION of the story that's floating around. There are several sites carrying it, but it's the same article. I wonder why the MSM hasn't picked it up.

Did you watch the video at the Raw Story link? I'm at a loss for understanding why cops would need to subdue a kid that just fell 30 feet and broke his back and heel. They say he was talking about "kill cops", but shit, he could have just been mumbling incoherent bullshit from being so injured and out of it.

Like I said though, more info would certainly help.

4. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Your confusion is understandable. I'm of the same mind from reading the report. I must admit to never having had to even think about deploying a Taser though (we have only a few issued to tactical personnel, there's no indication of if/when they would be issued more widely). My operational days finished a couple of years ago when the only options were OC spray/ASP baton or firearm. I hope the Taser isn't being used in lieu of the much safer (but ugly) wrestling with a person who was uncooperative.

5. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,384
    It seems that there are isolated incidents these days where it most certainly IS being used in lieu of.

How uncooperative can you be when you just broke your back from a 30 foot fall, though. I can't imagine you'd have much range of motion ANYWHERE in your body at that point, so I don't think there would be any words you could mutter that would require multiple tasings.

I'm waiting for Shogun to chime in, I'm sure he's heard more about this than msot of us.

6. busara

busara wanasiasa wapumbava

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    obviously, the boy was being attacked by bees. the police were trying to help, and all they had were tasers. in shocking the bees the boy got hit a few times, but it was hardly intentional.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Ninja

Ninja Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +377
  8. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I'm old school but then I would be I suppose. As I said before Tasers are out of consideration. But I have piled in and gone the biff which is pretty ugly if you're not au fait with the fact that it needs probably four average built coppers to deal with one average built male that wants to kick you in the nuts rather than get chucked in the back of a police vehicle (and to an off-his-face twenties male kicking you in the nuts makes sense to hime at the time).

The sight of four "burly" (in the media reports coppers are always "burly") coppers struggling with a "slightly built individual" (anyone south of Mike Tyson qualifies as "slightly built) is disturbing to anyone who hasn't actually tried to subdue someone. Trust me, it's not easy, especially if you're not inclined to beat the shit out of them.

Having said that I do think that perhaps there should be more biff and less Taser and spray these days.

Call me a dinosaur but perhaps the old ways weren't so bad.

9. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Bad Mother****er

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +503
    I totally support the use of tasers. It's the people that use them incorrectly or abuse them that should get the blame. I'd rather get tased than shot anyday, bro.

10. Ninja

Ninja Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +377
    Sounds like Australian cops are a little different than what we have here in the States.

The CCPOA and the Brady Campaign run California's shadow government. If something like this happened here, the cop would get a medal. And a box of maple bars.