Mississppi Church Refuses to Marry Black Couple

Americans have the Constitutional right to free association, as well as the right to be ignorant and hateful.

Although as a private entity the church can not be compelled by government sanction to accommodate African American couples, it is nonetheless indicative of America's static racism.

You're drawing conclusions about the entire country based on this one incident at this one church?

These people should just go to another church and get the fack away from trying to win over over racist people, that's why so me black people don't get any respect.

What kind of racists are the people who belong to this church? A black wedding offends them so much, they want the black couple married elsewhere? The pastor should have married them in the church, and to hell with the racists.

They had booked their wedding far in advance. The invitations had been sent, the programs printed. But one day before Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson were to be married at the Mississippi church they frequented, they said a pastor told them they would have to find another venue -- because they were black.

There has never been a black wedding at the First Baptist Church in Crystal Springs, Miss., since its founding in 1883. According to Pastor Stan Weatherford, some church members objected so strongly to breaking that precedent, they threatened to oust him from his pastorship.

Rather than risk his job, Weatherford, who is white, said he decided to marry the pair at a black church down the road.

"My 9-year-old was going to the church with us. How would you say to your 9-year-old daughter, 'We cannot get married here because, guess what sweetie, we're black,'" Charles Wilson told ABC's affiliate WAPT-TV.

Outrage over the wedding's forced relocation swept the Jackson suburb of about 5,000 into a media firestorm.

While the Wilsons were not members of the church, they often attended services there, and Te'Andrea's uncle is an employee of the church, and her father is a member. Charles Wilson told WAPT that the couple had planned to join as members after their wedding, which was planned for July 20.

Weatherford told WLBT-TV in Jackson that he would have liked to marry the couple as planned, but he decided to perform the ceremony elsewhere as a compromise to ensure that the Wilsons could be married while "addressing a need within our congregation."

Mississippi Church Rejects Black Wedding - ABC News

So let me see if I have this right;

We can take those ****** dollars when they come and donate too the church.
but
Them ******* best mosy on down the road if they want to get hitched.

Is that about right?

What kind of racists are the people who belong to this church? A black wedding offends them so much, they want the black couple married elsewhere? The pastor should have married them in the church, and to hell with the racists.

The couple sshould have left the church, why bother trying to win people over that obviously don't give a fuck?

The couple sshould have left the church, why bother trying to win people over that obviously don't give a fuck?

Because in 2012, racism should not be tolerated?

They had booked their wedding far in advance. The invitations had been sent, the programs printed. But one day before Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson were to be married at the Mississippi church they frequented, they said a pastor told them they would have to find another venue -- because they were black.

There has never been a black wedding at the First Baptist Church in Crystal Springs, Miss., since its founding in 1883. According to Pastor Stan Weatherford, some church members objected so strongly to breaking that precedent, they threatened to oust him from his pastorship.

Rather than risk his job, Weatherford, who is white, said he decided to marry the pair at a black church down the road.

"My 9-year-old was going to the church with us. How would you say to your 9-year-old daughter, 'We cannot get married here because, guess what sweetie, we're black,'" Charles Wilson told ABC's affiliate WAPT-TV.

Outrage over the wedding's forced relocation swept the Jackson suburb of about 5,000 into a media firestorm.

While the Wilsons were not members of the church, they often attended services there, and Te'Andrea's uncle is an employee of the church, and her father is a member. Charles Wilson told WAPT that the couple had planned to join as members after their wedding, which was planned for July 20.

Weatherford told WLBT-TV in Jackson that he would have liked to marry the couple as planned, but he decided to perform the ceremony elsewhere as a compromise to ensure that the Wilsons could be married while "addressing a need within our congregation."

Mississippi Church Rejects Black Wedding - ABC News

At least the Pastor did the right thing, he married them anyway. I have a friend who was all set up to marry his bride (a Buddhist) at the church he grew up in, when, 2 weeks before the wedding, the new minister took it upon himself to deny the wedding. He wouldn't even let them use the church. The church lost his entire family and what makes them the most mad is that the parishioners didn't stand up for them.

The church has the right to marry or not marry whomever they want, but I certainly wouldn't be attending that church nor would any of my friends....and I do think, since it was so late, that the church who refused the wedding should pay for the other wedding and all it's expenses.

Any church or private business that is racist i would get the hell away from, you can't force a church to change anything.

I would say that is fine, but to wait until the date is there to deny what is often a long planned expensive event is rather nasty to do. This is not like they were asked to leave the church based on their race, and missed a sunday of prayer. This is a wedding. It is more than just going to a church. There is a lot of money involved, and other plans which hinge on this part of the event, and it may be impossible to reschedule in a day.

In this case, it can be easily solved by a civil case. The church should have informed them of that policy when they signed up for the wedding and denied making the plans at all. They have financial damages that were done to this couple, and there is probably a good argument that it was done out of malice. They should sue them for any financial problems that arose due to the cancellation o the event that should have never been booked in the first place. You cannot force the church to marry the couple, but they certainly may be responsible for monetary damages due to their late decision. In this case a lawsuit would be fitting as it would let the church know to not make the booing in the future for black couples. The church doesn't need to marry them, but it also should not be making malicious and fraudulent attempts at keeping their wedding from happening.

I think the church is right in showing it's true colors and reminding the blacks that the white christian power structure only uses them when convenient, like to vote against gay marriage.

if the black people want to fight it they should make it so black churches won't marry white people and make a very public statement about it. Republicans will bend over backwards to make laws preventing discrimination.

In this case, it can be easily solved by a civil case.

There is no case to be solved.

The idea of sicking the government on a church tickles you, because you're a fascist.

The Afro couple is out nothing. They got married as planned, by the church's minister. Just at another, but nearby, church. If the church collected any money from them, it refunded it to them.

""My 9-year-old was going to the church with us. How would you say to your 9-year-old daughter, 'We cannot get married here because guess what sweetie, we're black'?"

There's a reason to refuse to marry them. F-ing animals.

In this case, it can be easily solved by a civil case.

There is no case to be solved.

No because it appears they were married anyway, but had their wedding plans been destroyed by the act of the church that made plans to marry them there would certainly be a civil case.
The idea of sicking the government on a church tickles you, because you're a fascist.

Reading is not something you do well since i did agree the church has a right to refuse to marry them. They just do not have the right to contract for a wedding and then trash their wedding for a reason that should have been handled by them refusing to book the wedding in the first place. In the end this is a non-destructive means of handling contract disputes that is an accepted part of our society.
The Afro couple is out nothing. They got married as planned, by the church's minister. Just at another, but nearby, church. If the church collected any money from them, it refunded it to them.

It goes beyond just a refund had their wedding actually had to be cancelled. Like i said, this is a situation where people often put out a lot of money that hinges on the actual marriage part. People often travel in, their are other bookings that rely on the event, and changing all that is not something that can be done at the last minute. I am pretty sure the church knew they would be in for a major financial hammering had they actually caused the wedding plans to fail. As is the bad publicity is what the church deserves for their poor handling of the situation and their discrimination. National attention for their racism is a great thing, and it damages the people who are racist. If they do not like it they can not be racist in the future.
""My 9-year-old was going to the church with us. How would you say to your 9-year-old daughter, 'We cannot get married here because guess what sweetie, we're black'?"

yeah, that is not a really great thing to have to tell your kids, and I agree it is demeaning and disrespectful, but the church is now reaping what it sewed with national attention on their racism.

There's a reason to refuse to marry them. F-ing animals.

they are not animals, you fucking racist POS. They are people. At least you wear your racism like a badge. you are a racist scumbag, and we now how well that goes down outside of Mississippi. It is your choice, but don't be surprised if you get fired or treated like shit for being such a great racist.

One thing i would as of you, and we now why you will not do it, go into your job tomorrow and start calling the black people there animals. It is all great you are an anonymous racist on the internet, and we know why you hide, but have the courage of your convictions and maybe go down to harlem and tell all those people what you thin of them. I am sure they would all love to now, and I hear the east river is a wonderful place to drown.

they are not animals, you fucking racist POS. They are people.

People get married then have children. Animals go straight to having offspring. This Afro couple has no respect for the institution of marriage, therefor the church should have refused to marry them.

One thing i would as of you, and we now why you will not do it, go into your job tomorrow and start calling the black people there animals.

There are no Afros where I work.

I think the church is right in showing it's true colors and reminding the blacks that the white christian power structure only uses them when convenient, like to vote against gay marriage.

if the black people want to fight it they should make it so black churches won't marry white people and make a very public statement about it. Republicans will bend over backwards to make laws preventing discrimination.

A black church would never get away with not marrying white couples. There would be outrage, because white folk cannot stand being discriminated against.

People get married then have children. Animals go straight to having offspring. This Afro couple has no respect for the institution of marriage, therefor the church should have refused to marry them.

There are no Afros where I work.

STFU you racist piece of shit. Go back to Stormfront where you belong.

Forum List

Back