Missing the Boom

Discussion in 'Economy' started by MtnBiker, Mar 13, 2006.

1. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    http://www.investors.com/editorial/IBDArticles.asp?artsec=20&issue=20060310

I am amazed everytime I go shopping and run into hoards of people, yet the media keeps telling me the economy is not doing well and that most of my fellow Americans believe that as well.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Emmett

Emmett Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +101
    As small businesses all over America are being swallowed up by larger companies those unfortunate folks ARE INDEED entering the job market, to work for the big companies that are swallowing them.

Some folks are second generations. Remember the butcher! The guy who couldn't compete with Winn Dixie or Publix even though he possessed something they did not have (smile and a personality). He works for them now!

How about the mom and pop grocer who used to be located in that beautiful little store in Smalltown, USA. They clean houses now or work for BP, Shell or Exxon. Hmmm! I wonder which one will buy out the other two to create the National Gas and Oil Service!

Folks, be careful how you read those numbers! How many are burger flipping jobs? Been to Houston or Dallas lately? Have you seen the immense number of White American Males standing at redlights asking for handouts? It is staggering! In Austin they are fighting over intersections each morning. Don't read what I am writing the wrong way. They are lazy folks who can make more begging the corner than working menial labor jobs. That is why the illegals are fairing so well here.

Being the owner of a small transportation company I can tell you that it is tough trying to squeeze profit out of a linehaul after fuel, outrageous insurance and trying to compete with the super companies (swift, JB Hunt, Schneider etc). They have government subsidy programs avail to help offset their expense in training drivers and so forth. As a small business (3 trucks) I of course don't qualify because I cannot be that big of an influence. When I go broke, where do I go? JB Hunt, Swift, Yellow, Overnite etc,... I don't get trucks for 15,000 to 25,000 off sticker due to the fact that I can't buy 500 at a time.

Maybe those numbers you mentioned are impressive but I think we have to lift the ink off the paper to see what is really written sometomes.