Minn. lawmaker: Fair-pay bill makes women look like ‘whiners’

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest
Minn. lawmaker: Fair-pay bill makes women look like ‘whiners’

“We heard several bills last week about women’s issues, and I kept thinking to myself: ‘These bills are putting us backwards in time. We are losing the respect that we so dearly want in the workplace by bringing up all these special bills for women, and almost making us look like whiners,‘ “ Kieffer said last Wednesday.

Minn. lawmaker: Fair-pay bill makes women look like 'whiners' | MSNBC

I wonder how that shoe leather tastes? Sheesh!

Don't need a fair pay bill. All you need to do is actually enforce The Fair Pay Act of 1963. It simply prevents wage discrimination based on gender.

Actually, the Fair Pay Act only gives you 180 days from the date of employment to file a claim. The Ledbetter Act allows you to file a claim when you find out, even if it is over the 180 day expiration date.

Ms. Ledbetter worked at her company for several years before finding out that her male counterparts were being paid more. The Ledbetter Act has no expiration date, so you can file when you find out.

Additionally, that particular sentiment isn't just from the GOP in MN, it's also the sentiment of the GOP in TX (and was said by a woman no less)........................

Texas Republican Party Executive Director Beth Cubriel argued on Monday that women should stop using laws like the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act to help them achieve equal pay, and that they should become “better negotiators” like men instead.

In an interview over the weekend, Cari Christman, who leads the GOP political action committee RedState Women, told WFAA that equal pay lays were not “practical” because women were “extremely busy.”

“We don’t believe the Lilly Ledbetter Act is what’s going to solve that problem for women. We believe that women want real-world solutions to this problem, not more rhetoric,” she said. “If you look at it, women are… extremely busy, we lead busy lives… And so when we look at this issue, we think, what’s practical?”

On Monday, YNN’s Capital Tonight asked Cubriel to explain why the Republican Party opposed equal pay laws.

“Is it really fair to clog up the courts with litigation that you can take through another avenue?” she asked. “And put that ahead of litigation that can only go through the state courts? I don’t think so.”

Cubriel asserted that the solution to fair pay was for women to become more like men.

“Men are better negotiators,” she remarked. “And I would encourage women, instead of pursuing the courts for action, to become better negotiators.”

Texas GOP director tells women: Stop suing for equal rights and ?negotiate? like men | The Raw Story

Don't need a fair pay bill. All you need to do is actually enforce The Fair Pay Act of 1963. It simply prevents wage discrimination based on gender.

Actually, the Fair Pay Act only gives you 180 days from the date of employment to file a claim. The Ledbetter Act allows you to file a claim when you find out, even if it is over the 180 day expiration date.

Ms. Ledbetter worked at her company for several years before finding out that her male counterparts were being paid more. The Ledbetter Act has no expiration date, so you can file when you find out.

Additionally, that particular sentiment isn't just from the GOP in MN, it's also the sentiment of the GOP in TX (and was said by a woman no less)........................

Texas Republican Party Executive Director Beth Cubriel argued on Monday that women should stop using laws like the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act to help them achieve equal pay, and that they should become “better negotiators” like men instead.

In an interview over the weekend, Cari Christman, who leads the GOP political action committee RedState Women, told WFAA that equal pay lays were not “practical” because women were “extremely busy.”

“We don’t believe the Lilly Ledbetter Act is what’s going to solve that problem for women. We believe that women want real-world solutions to this problem, not more rhetoric,” she said. “If you look at it, women are… extremely busy, we lead busy lives… And so when we look at this issue, we think, what’s practical?”

On Monday, YNN’s Capital Tonight asked Cubriel to explain why the Republican Party opposed equal pay laws.

“Is it really fair to clog up the courts with litigation that you can take through another avenue?” she asked. “And put that ahead of litigation that can only go through the state courts? I don’t think so.”

Cubriel asserted that the solution to fair pay was for women to become more like men.

“Men are better negotiators,” she remarked. “And I would encourage women, instead of pursuing the courts for action, to become better negotiators.”

Texas GOP director tells women: Stop suing for equal rights and ?negotiate? like men | The Raw Story

Simple, if you wait past 180 days to make your claim, that's your fault, not anyone else's. You get six freaking months to discover it, I see that as ample time. Who in their right minds would wait till day 181 to do anything about it? Additionally, we have a fair pay act alread in place, and this Lily Ledbetter act is redundant.

Remember when Ted Poe said the R's could win the Senate if "... when we nominate people we give them a roll of duct tape to put over their mouths so they don’t say stupid things..."

Always good advice for R's who are so far from getting the "big tent" concept they can't even fake it.

If we have had a Fair Pay Act since 1963 then why are women still paid less than men for the same jobs in 2014?

Simple, if you wait past 180 days to make your claim, that's your fault, not anyone else's. You get six freaking months to discover it, I see that as ample time. Who in their right minds would wait till day 181 to do anything about it? Additionally, we have a fair pay act alread in place, and this Lily Ledbetter act is redundant.

Like I said.................Ms. Ledbetter didn't find out she was being paid less until several YEARS AFTER she'd been employed.

If you're being paid less than what your fellow co-workers are, and doing the same kind of job, with the same output requirement, and work the same amount of time, you should be paid as much as they are.

Me? Never much thought about the whole fair pay thing until I retired from the military, because your paycheck was based on your Time in Service, Time in Paygrade, and the actual paygrade that you were.

Males and females all received the same pay for the same work.

Man I miss being in the military, because although it was restrictive and you had a lot of constraints placed on you, at least they were fair.

If we have had a Fair Pay Act since 1963 then why are women still paid less than men for the same jobs in 2014?

Because you only have 180 days from the date you are hired to file a claim, and because of the secrecy that a lot of employers have concerning their pay scales, many people won't find out they're underpaid when compared to their peers until much later than that.

Incidentally, in Texas, women only make about 79 percent of what their male counterparts make. In a middle income family, that can equate to around 6,000 dollars per year LESS than what a man makes.

6,000 dollars is a nice family vacation or half a car.

There is a grim elegance to conservatives opposing equal pay for women...

Grim just because they are capable of thinking that way, as Americans, in 2014,

and yet elegant because it's a position that perfectly symbolizes where modern American conservatism in its entirety is at nowadays.

ok now, you got that folks

ONE guy equals=ALL conservatives again AND hey he's from Minn. so he SPEAKS for all of us don't you know?

don't forget how that works in the left/liberal/Democrat/progressive/commie warped and dirty political AGENDA

you people are such losers

it's evident liberals just can't have enough LAWS on the books to cover their lives and break our backs in this country

Last edited:
ok now, you got that folks

ONE guy equals=ALL conservatives again AND hey he's from Minn. so he SPEAKS for all of us don't you know?

don't forget how that works in the left/liberal/Democrat/progressive/commie warped and dirty political AGENDA

you people are such losers

it's evident liberals just can't have enough LAWS on the books to cover their lives and break our backs in this country

Asshole says what?

Sorry, but word salad doesn't prove your point.

Apparently Minnesota lawmakers have never never heard of The Federal Equal Pay Act of 1963.

“This law makes it illegal to pay different wages to men and women if they perform equal work in the same workplace. The law also makes it illegal to retaliate against a person because the person complained about discrimination, filed a charge of discrimination, or participated in an employment discrimination investigation or lawsuit.”

Laws Enforced by EEOC

“The Equal Pay Act requires that men and women in the same workplace be given equal pay for equal work. The jobs need not be identical, but they must be substantially equal. Job content (not job titles) determines whether jobs are substantially equal. All forms of pay are covered by this law, including salary, overtime pay, bonuses, stock options, profit sharing and bonus plans, life insurance, vacation and holiday pay, cleaning or gasoline allowances, hotel accommodations, reimbursement for travel expenses, and benefits. If there is an inequality in wages between men and women, employers may not reduce the wages of either sex to equalize their pay.”

Equal Pay and Compensation Discrimination

Unfortunately, there are those who wish to change the law from “equal pay for substantially equal work” into something else. They want women to be paid on the basis of the importance of their jobs. They propose, for example, that an office clerk is just as valuable to a company as an assembler on a production line and should get paid as much. The argument is foolish on its face. These women could have applied for an assembler's position but for some reason or other didn't want to. They could have earned the higher wage but didn't want to do the work required.

There is one case that told me everything I ever needed to know about “equal pay for equal work.” It happened about 20 years ago in my home state of Florida but I cannot remember whether it was in Clay or Duval County. The circumstances are these:

The labor agreement for all those who worked in the sanitation department specified that any employee, including office personnel, could be used as trash collectors in an emergency. One day there was a severe shortage of trash collectors and two female secretaries were assigned to work the back of the truck.

At the end of the day one women was smiling because she had earned so much money. She even said she was going to apply for the position on a permanent basis. The other women was in tears. She complained about the the filth, the smell, the heavy lifting, and most of all the public humiliation she suffered because people she knew saw her riding on a garbage truck. She said she was never so embarrassed in all her life.

One of these women was actively involved in the “equal pay for equal work” campaign. This woman had previously claimed that she deserved as much pay as a garbage man because her job was just as important. If you guessed it was the woman who complained bitterly about the work she had to do, you are correct.

I may be a little bit of a hypocrite on this issue because I believe there are times when women should not have the same job requirements as a man even when they are applying for the same position. A long time ago, I worked a job that included a strength test. Each applicant was required to lift 70 pounds off the ground, transport it about 20 feet, lower it to the floor, pick it up again and return it to its original spot. When I got the job, I immediately noticed that the women could not lift those weights. When I asked whether they were given the strength test I found out they failed it but were hired anyway. Did I care? Not at all. It was a dirty job and the women got just as dirty as I did. We were all on our feet all day and the women were just as tired as I was. The heavy lifting (which was a small part of the job) was easy for me and I felt good that I was able help the gals. The other men in the workforce felt the same way.

There is a grim elegance to conservatives opposing equal pay for women...

Grim just because they are capable of thinking that way, as Americans, in 2014,

and yet elegant because it's a position that perfectly symbolizes where modern American conservatism in its entirety is at nowadays.

No, idiot. No one opposes equal pay for women. They oppose nanny state laws that try to dictate what that should be.
Typical liberal: if you oppose so-called pollution laws that will do nothing to reduce pollution, then you must be in favor of pollution. If you oppose a law that does nothign to make health care more affordable then you must oppose healthcare. If you oppose laws that do nothing to reduce racial discrimination then you must be for racial discrimination.
It's lib logic. And only morons believe it.

They aren't. Women doing the same job with the same amount of experience receive the exact same pay or ever more.

I think 180 days is NOT enough time. How much do most of us know about what our co-workers are being paid? A lot of companies have policies about employees NOT sharing that information with co-workers.

I've seen no legitimate reason to limit the time frame.

Forum List

Back