Minimum wage and video games

While Entitlement programs in the US include Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Veterans' Administration programs, federal employee and military retirement plans and unemployment compensation ARE entitlements, food stamps are welfare.
In all of the former, you either paid for or became eligible through employment.
Food stamps are not contingent upon prior work.

Welfare is paid for by taxpayers. Folks that are eligible for welfare at sometime have paid taxes.

I'd plant a garden, or better yet, get a job.

Everyone on food stamps doesn't work? Walmart, who's collected billions in tax payer subsidy helps their employees sign up for food stamps.

Prove that

tapatalk post

How McDonald's and Wal-Mart Became Welfare Queens - Bloomberg

Wal-Mart employees are the largest group of Medicaid recipients. They are also the single biggest group of food stamp recipients.

Everyone on food stamps doesn't work? Walmart, who's collected billions in tax payer subsidy helps their employees sign up for food stamps.

Prove that

tapatalk post

Wal-Mart employees are the largest group of Medicaid recipients. They are also the single biggest group of food stamp recipients.

And this has what to do with the OP?

I believe you've hijacked the thread.

Freeloader

freeloader
free·load
[free-lohd, -lohd] Show IPA
verb (used without object) Informal.
to take advantage of others for free food, entertainment, etc.
verb (used with object)
to get by freeloading: He freeloaded several meals a week.

— n
a person who habitually depends on the charity of others for food, shelter, etc
Freeloader | Define Freeloader at Dictionary.com

Prove that

tapatalk post

And this has what to do with the OP?

I believe you've hijacked the thread.

Not at all. We were discussing minimum wage and video games. Wal-Mart has both!

While Entitlement programs in the US include Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Veterans' Administration programs, federal employee and military retirement plans and unemployment compensation ARE entitlements, food stamps are welfare.
In all of the former, you either paid for or became eligible through employment.

Welfare is paid for by taxpayers. Folks that are eligible for welfare at sometime have paid taxes.

Untrue. Many have, but many have spent their whole life on the dole.

Some on welfare have never worked. And while they may have paid a little sales taxes on the frivolous stuff they buy if it isn't obtained from the black market, they have only paid a little sales tax and NEVER have they paid federal income taxes. But the older American who worked and paid into Social Security their entire life will pay taxes on what they draw.

How many people working minimum wage jobs and supposedly needing government assistance have video game systems? Do you think it's a significant percentage?

Is it the job of government to make people comfortable in part-time jobs? How comfortable?

I'm happy if people in food service can afford video consoles. However, if they can afford new video game systems they don't need taxpayers to help them buy food, and stories about how bad off these workers are lose some punch.

In Wisconsin you can make so much on public assistance that it wouldn't be worth your while to take a job which paid less than $10 an hour.

Yea I said this before their has been books written about this subject, the play book goes like this if you keep the poor comfortable with big screen t.v.'s, X boxs ....what ever.. they think.they have it made and won't riot. This stuff is well known now in political circles and they can take from the poor with out them even paying attention.

How many people working minimum wage jobs and supposedly needing government assistance have video game systems? Do you think it's a significant percentage?

Is it the job of government to make people comfortable in part-time jobs? How comfortable?

I'm happy if people in food service can afford video consoles. However, if they can afford new video game systems they don't need taxpayers to help them buy food, and stories about how bad off these workers are lose some punch.

In Wisconsin you can make so much on public assistance that it wouldn't be worth your while to take a job which paid less than $10 an hour.

there is a Mexican woman who lives in our town. she works at a local bagel shop behind the counter. Her husband/boyfriend works for a lawn service spring through fall and collects unemployment in the winter. they have 3 kids in the school system who get free breakfasts an lunches on an assistance program. she drives a Lincoln navigator, he drives a BMW X6. you have to wonder where the money comes from.

Poor has been redefined. In a third world country, poor means you have nothing or near nothing. In America being poor means earning below some arbitrary percentile of wages compared to other people. Since there will always be a bottom group of " earners", there will always be people considered poor no matter how well off they really are.

Poor has been redefined. In a third world country, poor means you have nothing or near nothing. In America being poor means earning below some arbitrary percentile of wages compared to other people. Since there will always be a bottom group of " earners", there will always be people considered poor no matter how well off they really are.

This kind of post irritates me. Because our poor doesn't live in mud huts eating rats they are not really poor? You tell a hungry kid they are not really poor because they have a apartment they are living in or their last meal wasn't road kill. Our poor by and large are better off then most the world true that doesn't mean they are not poor. All it means is our country is better then theirs

tapatalk post

Well lets hire some private firm to knock on doors and examine if every household has a video game. Some people are so incensed about a poor person having a video game. I never collected a cent of welfare or unemployment in my 76 years on this earth. I saved enough to retire. The way I see it one needs to work hard(as a necessary evil so to speak) to attain the things to survive. But I could care less if some worker who is stuck working for a lousy, cheapskate company like walmart has a video game. If I get paid $10 an hour, I work half speed. I get paid double that, I work full speed. So a walmart worker has a video game. Or some person on welfare has a video game. Big deal. So what. They still have a low standard of living and far be it from me the criticize someone for having a lousy video game. If that makes you mad, you gotta forget about it because it really doesn't matter.

It is. Try cutting your food bill to the amount given in food stamps.

I will.
The moment I start relying on others to provide for me.
In the meantime, I'm paying for my own food and theirs. Yet, I still can't claim them as a dependent when I file my taxes.

That means your pro ACA. Making people pay their own way.
Quite simply, you misinterpreted or misunderstood what I said. Or perhaps you don't understand the ACA. The ACA offers subsidies to cover health insurance for people, that is not "Making people pay their own way.", rather, it is making me pay for my own healthcare/insurance and their healthcare/insurance. Quite the opposite of what I said.

Last edited:
Well lets hire some private firm to knock on doors and examine if every household has a video game. Some people are so incensed about a poor person having a video game. I never collected a cent of welfare or unemployment in my 76 years on this earth. I saved enough to retire. The way I see it one needs to work hard(as a necessary evil so to speak) to attain the things to survive. But I could care less if some worker who is stuck working for a lousy, cheapskate company like walmart has a video game. If I get paid $10 an hour, I work half speed. I get paid double that, I work full speed. So a walmart worker has a video game. Or some person on welfare has a video game. Big deal. So what. They still have a low standard of living and far be it from me the criticize someone for having a lousy video game. If that makes you mad, you gotta forget about it because it really doesn't matter.

It matters to me when my tax dollars pay for it.
It's not my responsibility to pay for an xbox or playstation for somebody else, it's also not my responsibility to provide them food, or housing, or clothes, or anything else. If they want something, let them earn it on their own.

This kind of post irritates me. Because our poor doesn't live in mud huts eating rats they are not really poor? You tell a hungry kid they are not really poor because they have a apartment they are living in or their last meal wasn't road kill. Our poor by and large are better off then most the world true that doesn't mean they are not poor. All it means is our country is better then theirs

tapatalk post

You are irritated--sometimes the truth hurts. I can agree with you that a kid that does not have enough food to eat is poor. However, most of our so called poor have plenty of food to eat most of the time.

Forum List

Back