Millions of Unemployed Americans, But DHS Speeds up H1-B Visa Applications

There are two or three problems in this argument.

Millions of unemployed, doesn't mean that any of those millions are qualified in the position you need.

For example... If I am looking for a high end microprocessor designer, how many people of the unemployed are qualified high skill microprocessor engineers?

Answer... precious few.

From the numbers that we know of, there are significantly more high skill engineer positions open, than there are high skill engineers looking for employment.

So saying that there are millions of employed, so why are they importing high skill people.... is a bit like you asking for an electrician, and someone saying "Well there are a dozen unemployed oil change techs here. Why are you looking elsewhere?"

It does not matter if there are hundred million unemployed, if you need an engineer, and none of them are engineers.

So there are fewer skilled people, than skilled job openings, but also there are shortages in specific areas. Like if you need a Quantum physicist, and there are none, it doesn't matter if there are millions of skilled people unemployed, if none of them have the skill you need.

However, I personally have witnessed that we have a problem with how we're raising our young people. I see this in 3 key areas:

1. People seem to have this idea that they shouldn't have to move find work. Moving across the country, is part of the deal. High end jobs are simply not everywhere. People who sit around in their home town, unable to find work, and a company in Arizona is hiring an immigrant who by their nature, move to where the work is.

I've told the story of my immigrant roommate, and he moved 3 times AFTER he moved to the US. Why? Because where the work was, is where he went. That's how that works.

2. People with engineering degrees, seem to come out of college with this idea that they should walking into an entry level engineering job, with a six-figure income.

This is ridiculous. You are still an entry level engineer, and the company has no idea if you can even tie your shoes.

Which leads to the third problem....

3. A shockingly high percentage of people getting degrees suck.

Sorry to be blunt, and bold with this, but it's a fact. Maybe 50 years ago, no one got a degree unless they were fantastic. Today, people get degrees, and can't figure out how shoe laces work.

Now I want to be clear, that not ALL of them suck... just that an amazing number come out, and are utterly useless. How they got their degree is beyond me, but they certainly didn't earn it. They can't seem to do anything. Half don't show up on time. Others goof off half the day.

There should never be a time where I have to act like a human security camera, to make sure they are doing their job.

They suck. It's that simple.

And this shouldn't be super controversial. We already know people were buying their way into Ivy League schools. If your kid is stupid, and you buy their way into MIT, and they are able to get a degree after you bought their way in..... then obviously the schools are not teaching that much.

So to recap...

Not only do we have far fewer people with STEM degrees, than their are STEM jobs.... and even there we have a shortage of people qualified for specific fields (meaning we might have a thousand mechanical engineers when we need electrical engineers).... but many of them don't want to move to where the work is, and many expect to get paid more than their first job is going to offer, and I would almost guarantee that some of those are unemployed because they are terrible.

Thus... we need more qualified people, and the best way to get them is from other countries.... where people work hard, don't have unreasonable expectations, and are willing to go to where the work is.
If most of the people you know get hard science degrees and suck maybe you should move.
Of course, Computer and Information Science isn't a hard science degree.

Again.... you are not reading what I wrote. I specifically said that not all suck. I said a shocking number. And that is simply the truth.

Moving doesn't matter, when you get people from colleges across the country, that can't tie their shoes yet.

How would moving help? I'm in Columbus ohio. We have all the major tech companies here. Location isn't the problem.

I have worked with these "Highly Skilled" Indians, even as an Analyst.
They suck.
They don't speak speak English and don't know the programming language(s) they are supposed to know.
They don't even know how to link 2 or more Tables in a SQL statement.
This is a joke.
Most of the Indian contractors I have worked with were above average in skills, but I have heard of the kind of thing you speak of.

I just have not witnessed it in my 24 years of doing Oracle work.

If most of the people you know get hard science degrees and suck maybe you should move.
No, it is not hard science, but it does require mathematics and that weeds out alot of people. Documentation requires some writing skill as well.

but no, it isnt like a nuclear physics degree, lol.

H-1B workers are for Tech, Medical, Education and so on fields.

The speeding up of the process could also be for Medical seeing Hospitals use the H-1B visa to import staff from countries like Mexico, Philippines and India...

The requirement to bring someone in under that visa is strict, at the employer cost and we do not House and feed these people off the taxpayer dime seeing those brought in are in above poverty paying jobs.

We do not have the staff in the medical field and no one from Federal to Local would train so we would have the Medical personnel that is needed in a time like this...
I would think that qualified medical personel would be in demand in their home country

but if we pay more and they want to come whats the problem?

I would think that qualified medical personel would be in demand in their home country
None as long as American nurses are fully employed and the job is offered to them first.

None as long as American nurses are fully employed and the job is offered to them first.
American nurses are working double shifts

I expect the hospitals to start hiring undergraduates pretty soon

But we do have to guard against resume fraud by the foreign workers

Millions of unemployed, doesn't mean that any of those millions are qualified in the position you need.

For example... If I am looking for a high end microprocessor designer, how many people of the unemployed are qualified high skill microprocessor engineers?

Answer... precious few.

From the numbers that we know of, there are significantly more high skill engineer positions open, than there are high skill engineers looking for employment.

So saying that there are millions of employed, so why are they importing high skill people.... is a bit like you asking for an electrician, and someone saying "Well there are a dozen unemployed oil change techs here. Why are you looking elsewhere?"

It does not matter if there are hundred million unemployed, if you need an engineer, and none of them are engineers.

So there are fewer skilled people, than skilled job openings, but also there are shortages in specific areas. Like if you need a Quantum physicist, and there are none, it doesn't matter if there are millions of skilled people unemployed, if none of them have the skill you need.

However, I personally have witnessed that we have a problem with how we're raising our young people. I see this in 3 key areas:

1. People seem to have this idea that they shouldn't have to move find work. Moving across the country, is part of the deal. High end jobs are simply not everywhere. People who sit around in their home town, unable to find work, and a company in Arizona is hiring an immigrant who by their nature, move to where the work is.

I've told the story of my immigrant roommate, and he moved 3 times AFTER he moved to the US. Why? Because where the work was, is where he went. That's how that works.

2. People with engineering degrees, seem to come out of college with this idea that they should walking into an entry level engineering job, with a six-figure income.

This is ridiculous. You are still an entry level engineer, and the company has no idea if you can even tie your shoes.

Sorry to be blunt, and bold with this, but it's a fact. Maybe 50 years ago, no one got a degree unless they were fantastic. Today, people get degrees, and can't figure out how shoe laces work.

Now I want to be clear, that not ALL of them suck... just that an amazing number come out, and are utterly useless. How they got their degree is beyond me, but they certainly didn't earn it. They can't seem to do anything. Half don't show up on time. Others goof off half the day.

There should never be a time where I have to act like a human security camera, to make sure they are doing their job.

And this shouldn't be super controversial. We already know people were buying their way into Ivy League schools. If your kid is stupid, and you buy their way into MIT, and they are able to get a degree after you bought their way in..... then obviously the schools are not teaching that much.

So to recap...

Not only do we have far fewer people with STEM degrees, than their are STEM jobs.... and even there we have a shortage of people qualified for specific fields (meaning we might have a thousand mechanical engineers when we need electrical engineers).... but many of them don't want to move to where the work is, and many expect to get paid more than their first job is going to offer, and I would almost guarantee that some of those are unemployed because they are terrible.

Thus... we need more qualified people, and the best way to get them is from other countries.... where people work hard, don't have unreasonable expectations, and are willing to go to where the work is.
They suck.
They don't speak speak English and don't know the programming language(s) they are supposed to know.
This is a joke.

Well apparently employers think differently.

The fact they are continuing to hire them, proves you wrong.

Doesn't matter what your limited personal experience is, if all the employers are still demanding such people.

If they were incapable or willing to do the job, then they wouldn't keep hiring them, because the company would go bankrupt.

Are the companies still hiring? Are they going bankrupt?

Yes, no? Then you are wrong. Period.
And why are they hiring them?
I'll tell you a secret...They're cheap, get no benefits, work 24/7 and don't talk back.
If you visit TheVerge and YouTube, you'll also discover that over 99% of small companies that hire them are hiring them to keep the code going, not to make it better or add nifty little features.
The guys who keep the servers going? Waiters can be trained in a month to do the same job.
Hire Americans.
And once again, I know way more people across this globe than you; my experience is far from limited.

They suck.
This is a joke.
Most of the Indian contractors I have worked with were above average in skills, but I have heard of the kind of thing you speak of.

I just have not witnessed it in my 24 years of doing Oracle work.
The MS world is a nightmare.
Almost any intelligent person who is willing to learn can become a great coder in a few months.
I have taken many routines that were thousands of lines of codes and reduced them to less than 100 lines.

No, it is not hard science, but it does require mathematics and that weeds out alot of people. Documentation requires some writing skill as well.

but no, it isnt like a nuclear physics degree, lol.
It's always best to have a good mathematician or scientist sit with an organized coder.
This way the code is easy to read and does the job in the least amount of code needed.

Answer... precious few.

So to recap...

Again.... you are not reading what I wrote. I specifically said that not all suck. I said a shocking number. And that is simply the truth.

Moving doesn't matter, when you get people from colleges across the country, that can't tie their shoes yet.

How would moving help? I'm in Columbus ohio. We have all the major tech companies here. Location isn't the problem.
You are correct that graduating with a science degree does not make for an organized mind.
This issue is whether or not one winds up working in an environment where one becomes keen.
In IT, no one is taught, they are simply told to keep the system alive.
Why do you think Windows contains billions of lines of code that no one can figure out and the next Indian at MS simply writes more crap.

Kudos to Apple and Amazon for hiring the best and not just cheap coders.

It's always best to have a good mathematician or scientist sit with an organized coder.
This way the code is easy to read and does the job in the least amount of code needed.
That is why I took a minor in mathematics, to see shortcuts in code design.

But we do have to guard against resume fraud by the foreign workers
No, we have to make sure Americans are not kept from jobs in their own country because greedy fucktards want to squeeze another dime from our blood.
In general I agree

But right now we need more nurses
Shuffle them around within the USA then. We have nurses willing to move to a shit hole like New York or LA.

That is why I took a minor in mathematics, to see shortcuts in code design.
It also really helped when A friend of mine and I made our currency trading software. We were trading off the retrace from when a currency pair crossed the 2.1 Bollinger band three 5 minute bars in a row, and set the sell order = to the previous 5 minute bar 20 bar average. It was working pretty well till the shop were were trading through started fucking with our orders. All currency trading shops are bucket shops we discovered, but we doubled our money in four months.

Answer... precious few.

So to recap...

They suck.
This is a joke.

Then you should blame the person who hired this Indians. If he doesn’t speak English and don’t know programming. How did he/she even passed the first interview? Don’t they even question his education or qualifications?

Forum List

Back