Military cancels therapy dog program. Wait, what?

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
Therapy dogs are well known and well understood. The dogs are trained to assist veterans with normal life when they come home. Sometimes the mere presence of a dog makes someone feel better. So far, so good. But a program that trains dogs, and matches them with vets has been booted from Walter Reed and Fort Belvoir. The Public Affairs people at those two bases were trying to track down some information on the decision when this story went to press.

Program that pairs service dogs with veterans booted from Fort Belvoir and Walter Reed

Now, from time to time when I am waxing on about reforming the criminal justice system, someone will ask me how I feel about corporal punishment. I respond that for some things and in some situations it might be appropriate. This seems like one of those times, and situations.

Whenever they track down the moron with more brass than brains who ordered this action, they should take them out behind a building, and just paddle their ass. Seriously, just keep paddling until they are crying like children. I’m talking wet faces from tears, and strings of snot hanging out their noses. Just paddle them.

Too bad the pups seemed to be helping a lot of veterans. If they can't continue with it maybe the public can pick up the slack.

Too bad the pups seemed to be helping a lot of veterans. If they can't continue with it maybe the public can pick up the slack.

It was a volunteer program for the most part. Most of the people working with the dogs were either veterans themselves volunteering, or members of the public. It cost the Military an office and a little grassed in area to train the dogs.

I should have mentioned it, but I guess I was distracted by the idea of paddling some idiot for this mess.

It was a volunteer program for the most part. Most of the people working with the dogs were either veterans themselves volunteering, or members of the public. It cost the Military an office and a little grassed in area to train the dogs.

I should have mentioned it, but I guess I was distracted by the idea of paddling some idiot for this mess.
Well we know a certain group doesn't like dogs at all generally.

The Cats

The Cats
Our cat loves for the dogs to go outside and play with her as cat isn't allowed in the house. I hate the smell of Cat shit in my house......need to add in that though the Cats are great for catching rats.

Last edited:
More on this-

On Wednesday, WCC Executive Director Rick Yount told WTOP that the stop work order “came out of the blue.”

But a former staff member told WTOP that the organization had been told several months ago that it was not adhering to the terms of the contract regarding staffing.

Matt Moores worked for WCC until August of this year, stepping down he said, over concerns he had regarding management of the program.
Popular therapy dog program at Walter Reed contract halted over 'patient care'

And there are other foundations that do it there, which don’t charge the vets fees for the training and dogs, either.

Forum List

Back