Military And Lasers?

Thobbs

Rookie
Sep 9, 2014
I heard a while back that the US military tested a powerful laser on a ship, setting fire to a part of it, but what about using lasers as apart of every military branch as apart of normal weapons?

I know its going to sound reminiscent of Star Wars or Star trek, but I think that therer could be some military benefits to incorperating these strong lasers into every branch of the military in some way or another.

I heard about the laserlights that you can buy that they use for star pointing, Capable of burning things,causing major damage if used right. Surely the military could come up with a more weaponized version of those?

I'm not entirely caught up on the subject,but I figure that the leaders would have seen it as a gross misuse of resources.

Think they could, would, SHOULD?

I heard a while back that the US military tested a powerful laser on a ship, setting fire to a part of it, but what about using lasers as apart of every military branch as apart of normal weapons?

I know its going to sound reminiscent of Star Wars or Star trek, but I think that therer could be some military benefits to incorperating these strong lasers into every branch of the military in some way or another.

I heard about the laserlights that you can buy that they use for star pointing, Capable of burning things,causing major damage if used right. Surely the military could come up with a more weaponized version of those?

I'm not entirely caught up on the subject,but I figure that the leaders would have seen it as a gross misuse of resources.

Right now the neatest new guns are on ships because of the power they take to run, the size of the assembled gun and their cost.

As those get smaller you will be able to supply tanks with them. Subs I would think. Maybe bunkers although we seem to be fighting against the bunker trend right now and rightfully so.

Neat stuff isn't it.

Lasers aren't practical as weapons. Laser beams burn they don't do anything but. Star Wars and Star Trek didn't use lasers but completely fictional systems like phasers or blasters.

Most powerful laser system imaginable would be very good at burning little holes in targets, but that's about it. And to do so the beam needs time on target. Great doc illustrating this well shooting a laser beam into a long line of balloons. Rather than the beam going through the entire row of a dozen or so popping them all instantly, it took a while on each one. Whereas a regular bullet would go through unimpeded. Light stops everytime it hits an object, and to get through it it must burn its way through which takes time.

Old video/film of SDI lasers 'blowing up' missiles were staged. The missles were fractured and held together with tension cables. The moment the laser hit, the cables literally crushed the missile into a collapse making it seem like the laser did that, but in fact it didn't.

Lasers are great rangefinders and target designators. But other than for blinding not practical weapons. Simple dust and dirt being kicked up by military vehicles on the batlefield makes lasers impractical.

Railguns have promise. Lasers do not.

Lasers aren't practical as weapons. Laser beams burn they don't do anything but.
This is like saying bullets make little holes but they don't do anything but.

Burning things is a practical use of a weapon. Would you like a powerful laser burning up your helicopter?

Most powerful laser system imaginable would be very good at burning little holes in targets, but that's about it.
They've taken out drones and rockets in tests, very quickly:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back