Midwest is getting hammered by tornados

editec

Mr. Forgot-it-All
Jun 5, 2008
Maine
I realize it happens every year, but man-oh-man! it's starting out to be a bad season for tornados.

Joplin was hit and the death count is terrible and today I read or still more deaths in Kansas?

Anybody know what the statistical averages say a normal season is?

I'm curious if this season is truly worse than normal, or if the tornados are just hitting cities and so it seems to be especially worse than normal.

At least it doesn't rain meatballs. Actually meatballs would be softer than hail. But they wouldn't melt.

m1-14.jpg

Seems to me there's a little bad luck involved here.

When one of these monsters goes through the middle of downtown Siren, WI, (2001) and kills nobody, it's a one-day story.

Very true indeed! Felt like I dodged a bullet with these storms passing over central Oklahoma!

My daughter flew out to Arizona on Monday to drive back to Michigan with her girlfriend moving back here. They went through Joplin...she sent me a text and her firsts words were "Holy shit mom...this is so terrible!". She had never actually seen the aftermath of a huge storm like that and it really upset her. Some news stations mentioned how many of these storms this year seems to be targeting larger cities than normal, i pray i didn't keep up!

Such a tragedy. We all have to lend support as possibly can. And I pray the good Lord Almighty to whom nothing makes news console all as none can.

On the other hand however, after watching clips on TV, I was concerned after noting most of the destroyed structures appear to have been built with nothing but plywood. While I do not believe government has to get into everything, I think it may be wise (seeing these tragedies often involve the entire nation) to have an advisory (or mandatory) inclusion requiring that buildings be erected with some bricks or steel in them. Just a thought.

This has been an extreme tornado season, even were it to stop right now. Still a month to go in the primary season. An unusual number of f4's and f5's. In the meantime, we still have a fire season and drougth that just won't stop in Texas, and floods from Montana to Louisiana. And a neutral Enso Hurricane season coming up. When you consider the weather disasters worldwide in the last 12 months, you have to wonder.

Forum List

Back