Microsoft´s 'How to download and install Linux'

Bleipriester

Freedom!
Nov 14, 2012
Doucheland
Microsoft has recently published an article lecturing readers on installing Linux. The articles offers three guides:

• Linux as Windows Subsystem for Linux
  • Linux in a Virtual Machine
  • Linux as a normal setup

What do you think?

That either screams real confidence or defeat. Coders and AI practitioners in particular love Linux.

Microsoft has recently published an article lecturing readers on installing Linux. The articles offers three guides:

What do you think?

I think this is Microsoft being Microsoft.
Who else would create a small book on how to install Linux when the install process is extremely simple?

Microsoft could easily write a 14 page document on how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
There is not a person alive that will read and follow these absurdly overly complicated mess to do an act that takes no more than a half dozen clicks of a mouse. Indeed, it is probably simpler to install Linux as it is to make that peanut butter and jelly sandwhich.

I think this is Microsoft being Microsoft.
Who else would create a small book on how to install Linux when the install process is extremely simple?

Microsoft could easily write a 14 page document on how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
There is not a person alive that will read and follow these absurdly overly complicated mess to do an act that takes no more than a half dozen clicks of a mouse. Indeed, it is probably simpler to install Linux as it is to make that peanut butter and jelly sandwhich.
Sure, quite simple. Many people don´t know that, though.

Sure, quite simple. Many people don´t know that, though.
Meh.... the article is clearly meant to confuse and be overwhelming.
If I knew nothing about installing Linux - I would run away from it after seeing this, it is grossly overly complicated while written about as clear as Nostradamus.

Meh.... the article is clearly meant to confuse and be overwhelming.
If I knew nothing about installing Linux - I would run away from it after seeing this, it is grossly overly complicated while written about as clear as Nostradamus.
I rather think they are promoting the Windows Subsystem for Linux.

I rather think they are promoting the Windows Subsystem for Linux.
I agree, but in the typical Microsoft way - they do the opposite.
That absurd 30 paragraph nonsense, again, is like writing a 7 page instruction pamphlet for making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The government would take less explaining to do than that.

I agree, but in the typical Microsoft way - they do the opposite.
That absurd 30 paragraph nonsense, again, is like writing a 7 page instruction pamphlet for making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The government would take less explaining to do than that.
If you would have read instructions from early issues of the German magazine Computer Bild, then this article would look like a short outline to you.

If you would have read instructions from early issues of the German magazine Computer Bild, then this article would look like a short outline to you.
Well that is German engineers. They are unimaginably sticklers for details.
I have worked with German engineers and mechanical support teams since the late 80s- early 90s.
Lord. They will drive you absolutely insane with insisting you follow design/engineering tech books to the absolute letter.
We had Muller Martini finishing machines, Stahl folders and Polar Mohl cutters.
Still use the folders/cutters today.

I have worked with German engineers and mechanical support teams since the late 80s- early 90s.
Lord. They will drive you absolutely insane with insisting you follow design/engineering tech books to the absolute letter.
Yeah, that sounds German.

Germans over-engineer and overcomplicate things a lot. It's their nature.

What do you think?

"How to Install Linux in 1 post"

1) Find Linux you like DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

I'l throw some out there: Ubuntu, CentOS, Fedora, Mint, BDS

These are some popular ones:

Probably that "Zorin" would be best to ease into it.

People like that Mint and Debian, too.

2) Download that Linux

3) Download RUFUS Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

4) Using RUFUS Burn Linux ISO to blank USB drive

5) Boot from USB and install to whatever media you choose. Mainly hard drives.

You will a blank USB and Blank hard drive for this operation.

Also you may need to know how to make your computer boot from the the USB

Last edited:

What do you think?

Super-duper easy....

"How to Install Linux in 1 post"

1) Find Linux you like

2) Download that Linux

3) Download RUFUS

4) Using RUFUS Burn Linux ISO to blank USB drive

5) Boot from USB and install to whatever media you choose. Mainly hard drives.
I use UNetbootin instead of Rufus. For Windows images I don´t even need a third party tool.

Forum List

Back