Microsoft joins the Linux Foundation

Bleipriester

Freedom!
Nov 14, 2012
Doucheland
Microsoft is now Platinum-Member of the Linux Foundation.

microsoft-tux-linux.png

"“This may come as a surprise to you, but they were not big fans,” Linux Foundation executive director Jim Zemlin told me about his foundation’s history with Microsoft. The new Microsoft under CEO Satya Nadella, however, is singing a very different tune. Today’s Microsoft is one of the biggest open source contributors around. Over the course of just the last few years, it has essentially built Canonical’s Ubuntu distribution into Windows 10, brought SQL Server to Linux, open-sourced core parts of its .NET platform and partnered with Red Hat, SUSE and others. As Zemlin noted, Microsoft has also contributed to a number of Linux Foundation-managed projects like Node.js, OpenDaylight, the Open Container Initiative, the R Consortium and the Open API Initiative."

Microsoft joins the Linux Foundation

Interesting. Hope it works out, Linux developers could use a cash infusion. MS can and would benefit I believe, maybe just from hardware alone. Or they could have an app store with reasonably priced programs made cheaper with open source help.

I bout an old laptop a few days ago, had W7 on it and I was willing to keep it but something was preventing Mint 18 from installing with it. I gave up and over wrote the drive. Runs great!

Interesting. Hope it works out, Linux developers could use a cash infusion. MS can and would benefit I believe, maybe just from hardware alone. Or they could have an app store with reasonably priced programs made cheaper with open source help.

I bout an old laptop a few days ago, had W7 on it and I was willing to keep it but something was preventing Mint 18 from installing with it. I gave up and over wrote the drive. Runs great!
Microsoft tries to get footholds everywhere. They know their Empire´s future is in question as desktops´ importance is fading away.

Microsoft is now Platinum-Member of the Linux Foundation.

microsoft-tux-linux.png

"“This may come as a surprise to you, but they were not big fans,” Linux Foundation executive director Jim Zemlin told me about his foundation’s history with Microsoft. The new Microsoft under CEO Satya Nadella, however, is singing a very different tune. Today’s Microsoft is one of the biggest open source contributors around. Over the course of just the last few years, it has essentially built Canonical’s Ubuntu distribution into Windows 10, brought SQL Server to Linux, open-sourced core parts of its .NET platform and partnered with Red Hat, SUSE and others. As Zemlin noted, Microsoft has also contributed to a number of Linux Foundation-managed projects like Node.js, OpenDaylight, the Open Container Initiative, the R Consortium and the Open API Initiative."

Microsoft joins the Linux Foundation
Well, Microsoft is being smart, reading the signs on the wall. I'm surprised but impressed.

Does this mean they will make Windows easier to dual boot? Or make office FINALLY be able to read open source document formats like we all know it already can? Does this mean they will FINALLY realize that if they make Windows sit on top of a *nix platform it will be faster, require less memory and lower consumer costs?

Nah.

Does this mean they will make Windows easier to dual boot? Or make office FINALLY be able to read open source document formats like we all know it already can? Does this mean they will FINALLY realize that if they make Windows sit on top of a *nix platform it will be faster, require less memory and lower consumer costs?

Nah.
Betcha he didn't expect me to congradulate Microsoft........ :lol:

Personally I like Extreme Tech's headline;

"Hell Freezes Over". :lol:

Basically with the explosion of mobile media and Microsoft's near complete failure to penetrate that market this is the best move for them. I wouldn't look for complete cross platform integration for quite a long time but it does appear Microsoft will have to finally become more customer responsive then they have been in the past.

Microsoft is finaly on the path of accepting that it has not to be the provider of a platform by all means. Going for the mobile phone market is also not a good idea. There are plenty of producers but only two make cash: Apple and Samsung. And Microsoft has another handicap: It has a platform that struggles with a lack of third party support.

Microsoft is finaly on the path of accepting that it has not to be the provider of a platform by all means. Going for the mobile phone market is also not a good idea. There are plenty of producers but only two make cash: Apple and Samsung. And Microsoft has another handicap: It has a platform that struggles with a lack of third party support.
Microsoft has finally figured out that the times they are a changin' and they need to change with the times or ultimately die a slow agonizing death, becoming but a shadow of their former selves. This is a good thing for consumers as Microsoft loses it's arrogance. Win 8 was an attempt to change but still imbued with Microsoft's arrogant approach, "we're Microsoft, everyone will accept and love it", Win 10 is Microsoft's realization of that failure and their first attempt at compromise/collaboration with the Windows operating system.
My hope is that Microsoft is rapidly losing it's arrogance and is not simply joining up with Linux in an attempt to take over or undermine that system.

Microsoft has finally figured out that the times they are a changin' and they need to change with the times or ultimately die a slow agonizing death, becoming but a shadow of their former selves. This is a good thing for consumers as Microsoft loses it's arrogance. Win 8 was an attempt to change but still imbued with Microsoft's arrogant approach, "we're Microsoft, everyone will accept and love it", Win 10 is Microsoft's realization of that failure and their first attempt at compromise/collaboration with the Windows operating system.
My hope is that Microsoft is rapidly losing it's arrogance and is not simply joining up with Linux in an attempt to take over or undermine that system.
Microsoft´s dominance on desktops is still unchallenged. I don´t think that this is their concern.

Microsoft´s dominance on desktops is still unchallenged. I don´t think that this is their concern.
Not yet but it's their dominance that has fostered arrogance, an arrogance that has happened with many companies in the past only to have that attitude ultimately destroy the company. Ultimately companies that develop the attitude that they and their product is irreplaceable often begin dictating to the consumer, eventually the consumer tires of being dictated to. As an example, you don't live here so you haven't noticed more and more food service companies are dropping Coca-Cola in favor of Pepsico products. This is because Coca-Cola stringently dictates terms of usage and sale to it's commercial customers, Pepsico does not making Pepsi products cheaper to sell.

Not yet but it's their dominance that has fostered arrogance, an arrogance that has happened with many companies in the past only to have that attitude ultimately destroy the company. Ultimately companies that develop the attitude that they and their product is irreplaceable often begin dictating to the consumer, eventually the consumer tires of being dictated to. As an example, you don't live here so you haven't noticed more and more food service companies are dropping Coca-Cola in favor of Pepsico products. This is because Coca-Cola stringently dictates terms of usage and sale to it's commercial customers, Pepsico does not making Pepsi products cheaper to sell.
On the other hand, Canonical has dictated its UI like Microsoft. And Pepsi serves as good as Coke while most companies and users rely on Windows.

On the other hand, Canonical has dictated its UI like Microsoft. And Pepsi serves as good as Coke while most companies and users rely on Windows.
Not very up on business knowledge are ya. Yes, Canonical dictates it's UI but is that all you can focus on? Is it you think my only focus on this subject is the PC user? I'm discussing general business practices and consequences not narrowly focused ones.

Forum List

Back